TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Aug 5, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #20,866 of 24,683
Thank You for the explanation. Had the non balanced cable connected to my Pono Player working fine, but will switch cables. You learn something new everyday!

Pono still needs it's twin 3.5mm stereo jacks to work as balanced, the trinity single 3.5mm (trrs) won't work unfortunately.

It's all about implementation, some use a 2.5mm trrs for balanced, others like trinity have gone 3.5mm trrs there's even a larger over 4mm connector now. Pono is a bit different in using twin (more common) 3.5mm trs.

Aug 5, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #20,867 of 24,683
others like trinity have gone 3.5mm trrs
Still suspect that the 3.5mm was an error.. :wink: Up to the last minute, description was always 2.5 balanced, and the description for the new Phoenix headphone shows 2.5 included again. Maybe a production mistake - I don't think Trinity planned it to be 3.5, when it is so rarely used on new DAPs.

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #20,869 of 24,683
Can anyone please point me to links or good reviews for the PM6? I'm pretty keen. If anyone currently owning it also reply with their quick impressions, i would appreciate it!
------------
EDIT:

I just started to back read the thread...quite the awful feedback on Trinity's service...will hold back interest for now.
Eh, I say it's still worth asking to see if it might fit your desires. After all, you may not necessarily need to buy it from Trinity Audio. Could find a use pair from someone here who just doesn't want theirs.

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #20,870 of 24,683
Does anyone know the telephone number of trinity audio?
TrinityPhone.jpeg

Aug 5, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #20,872 of 24,683
So.. Icarus III. I like it quite a bit, but I don't think it deserves to be priced over the Master. in my mind, the only thing it does better is the bass response. Otherwise,it's less detailed, less expansive, and just generally less good.

*shrug*

Aug 5, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #20,873 of 24,683
Pono still needs it's twin 3.5mm stereo jacks to work as balanced, the trinity single 3.5mm (trrs) won't work unfortunately.

It's all about implementation, some use a 2.5mm trrs for balanced, others like trinity have gone 3.5mm trrs there's even a larger over 4mm connector now. Pono is a bit different in using twin (more common) 3.5mm trs.

Thanks! Yeah I went back to the Pono Player instruction booklet and it stated what you said here. At least I can use my UE TF10 and Trinity Atlas in balanced mode with my Pono Players. I did notice that both cables that I am using for those two are 3.5mm TRS though which supposedly is a better chose than TRRS.

At least until my 8 Wire Litz cables come in about 2 weeks and if my preference for one of them to be balanced for the use with my Pono was accepted.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #20,874 of 24,683
... I did notice that both cables that I am using for those two are 3.5mm TRS though which supposedly is a better chose than TRRS.

No problem, fellow Pono user here.

Oh and by the way TRS is no better than TRRS, the latter makes a balanced connection possible that's all. Not sure if you know but the T stands for the tip of the connector, the R are the rings and the S is the sleeve or bit closest to the cable.

On TRRS there is an extra connection available on the Jack (the extra ring, hence the extra 'r' in the name), this allows a R+,R-,L+,L- arrangement rather than a TRS which is R+, L+, Ground(common).

On Pono the two 3.5mm TRS connectors use only the tip and ring on each jack, using only 4 of the possible 6 connection points (sleeve goes unused)

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #20,875 of 24,683
Thanks.

Icarus III was defective goods.

When I mailed Kieran, I was told I should send IEM.

A reply will not come when you ask where to send or shipping fee.

Have you ever tried to exchange?

I'm happy to tell me how long it took days.
TRINITY AUDIO ENGINEERING UNIT 2.02 DE BRADELEI MILL Chapel St, Belper, DE56 1AR, United Kingdom
If they have stock shouldn't take too long. I had to send Master in back in the day when Jake was handling some stuff(6/29/17) and yes there was some issues but I think they should be resolved with Daniels involvement quickly. Just send in the portion above the cable adapter if that is where the issue is. No need to send the whole box with accessories back. I ate the shipping fee was around $13 fro U.S

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #20,876 of 24,683
Thanks! Yeah I went back to the Pono Player instruction booklet and it stated what you said here. At least I can use my UE TF10 and Trinity Atlas in balanced mode with my Pono Players. I did notice that both cables that I am using for those two are 3.5mm TRS though which supposedly is a better chose than TRRS.

At least until my 8 Wire Litz cables come in about 2 weeks and if my preference for one of them to be balanced for the use with my Pono was accepted.
You could get a 3.5mm female trrs and two 3.5mm male trs and wire up an adapter. Wouldn't be too difficult. Or just snip the offending 3.5mm male trs off cable and attach the 2 3.5mm trs. At least we know the cable has 4 conductors.

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #20,877 of 24,683
No problem, fellow Pono user here.

Oh and by the way TRS is no better than TRRS, the latter makes a balanced connection possible that's all. Not sure if you know but the T stands for the tip of the connector, the R are the rings and the S is the sleeve or bit closest to the cable.

On TRRS there is an extra connection available on the Jack (the extra ring, hence the extra 'r' in the name), this allows a R+,R-,L+,L- arrangement rather than a TRS which is R+, L+, Ground(common).

On Pono the two 3.5mm TRS connectors use only the tip and ring on each jack, using only 4 of the possible 6 connection points (sleeve goes unused)

Yeah I noticed that info in the diagram posted earlier by @rr12267. Thanks.

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #20,878 of 24,683
You could get a 3.5mm female trrs and two 3.5mm male trs and wire up an adapter. Wouldn't be too difficult. Or just snip the offending 3.5mm male trs off cable and attach the 2 3.5mm trs. At least we know the cable has 4 conductors.

I'll pass on that endeavor as I am not that ambitious. But it is nice to know a solution, so thanks for that info. I do like the Atlas in balanced mode with my Pono. And hopefully looking forward to hearing my Hunter with my Pono.

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #20,879 of 24,683
Can anyone please point me to links or good reviews for the PM6? I'm pretty keen. If anyone currently owning it also reply with their quick impressions, i would appreciate it!
------------
EDIT:

I just started to back read the thread...quite the awful feedback on Trinity's service...will hold back interest for now.
Eh, I say it's still worth asking to see if it might fit your desires. After all, you may not necessarily need to buy it from Trinity Audio. Could find a use pair from someone here who just doesn't want theirs.
Thanks.

Icarus III was defective goods.

When I mailed Kieran, I was told I should send IEM.

A reply will not come when you ask where to send or shipping fee.

Have you ever tried to exchange?

I'm happy to tell me how long it took days.
They won't give you a shipping label to ship back if that's part of what you're asking. It's why I didn't bother to send back my Vyrus 2 when the shell split. $13 to send overseas something that cost me $30? And I'll have no idea how long it takes for it to come back? No thanks.

Aug 5, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #20,880 of 24,683
The Master must have been an unfinished prototype, none of the undamped filters are listenable to (with a proper seal) unless you're deaf, the high-end peaks give one a sensation of getting stabbed in the eardrum with an ice pick and the mids are so distant I may as well run behind the train and wave at them as they disappear into the horizon. All the dampened filters lose the soundstage. The only time they excel SOUNDWISE is with a gunmetal filter and two black acoustic damping plugs in each instead of white acoustic damping membranes. The separation and soundstage evolve massively with a slightly closer mid-range which plays well with shredding highs and not overpowering but authoritative bass, excellent post-rock combo, feels like initial morphine drip after a bad car accident.

The Master fit is horrid, you'll end up twiddling with your IEMs more than John Travolta with his earring in pulp fiction. It's hard to get a good seal, and spiral dots are a must. They're heavy and will move in your ears in day-to-day activities. On the upside if you're getting robbed you can always swing them over your head to stun your attacker for a quick getaway. Also good luck wearing them mid-day, you may think people squint at you in the sun because you're a dazzling, radiant creature; sadly the fact is that you're blinding anybody that looks you directly in the face.

The Icarus 3 fit is excellent, the nozzles are perfect length and angle, the IEM body sits securely in your ear canal and the very low weight keeps it from moving much if at all. I would use these to work on my race car, that's how confident I am about the fit. The cables on the y-split seem smaller dia which is a nice touch.

It's a much more refined IEM in sound as well. ALL of the filters are usable!!! There is absolutely ZERO sibilance. The sound signature delta between the filters is a lot smaller than on the Master, but because all of the filters sound good you can actually fine tune the Icarus sound to your specific taste without the need to tear the filters apart. Icarus 3 EDIT: have less bloated bass across all the filters compared to the master, it feels more controlled and mature, I can listen to every filter without being annoyed. Highs are good, mids are okay, bass is okay. Everything is balanced and clear but I am using significantly more volume compared to masters, deltas, and lyra (50% on E12a volume pot)

It's almost like they made a Delta 2 with a slightly larger soundstage and separation, more tuning filters, more bass, less timbre and skinnier mids.

If anybody wants these send me a PM, I'm posting both the Icarus 3 and Delta 2's in the classifieds later tonight.

So.. Icarus III. I like it quite a bit, but I don't think it deserves to be priced over the Master. in my mind, the only thing it does better is the bass response. Otherwise,it's less detailed, less expansive, and just generally less good.

*shrug*

Well, such an interesting contrast in these two posts... goes without saying that we all hear (many of us) in a very different way...

I am enjoying Masters ever sine I have got them; still waiting for the Icarus III; preordere april 25, 2017 , no shipping notification or status update, apparently - according to Kieran, not all people have got the shipping notification email on Icarus III, but all Icarus III have been shipped.

And boy, do I need the Icarus I , like two months ago...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back