TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Jul 1, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #19,126 of 24,683
Changing the subject. I really like the ultra smooth body shape of my Trinity Atlas. They are comfortable. They completely fill up the bowl of my ear horizontally and the smooth edges never cause discomfort. I wonder why Trinity seems to be moving away from smooth shapes and to the angular design?
No clue. If only bob was still here we could find out.

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #19,127 of 24,683
So your comparison would have a bunch of W's thrown in? :p

Hooray! You've got a unit working as it should now! If you haven't already, you can check out my review after you've given your set a little more headtime and see how your views line up with mine :D

Well, I can already say that one of those lines is facetious, though unintentionally so. The Icarus is obviously going to have the (in their eyes) tougher cable design because the Icarus line already uses their chosen y-split design while all Hunters and PM6s sent out so far are 2-pin (NOT industry standard as I made note of in my review). I'd wager there's a good chance they'd say the cables on the Vyrus 2 are tougher for the same reason since the Master and Icarus lineup all share the same y-split cable design (Vyrus 2 doesn't detach at the y-split, but otherwise the cabling is identical to pricier IEMs). And future production batches of the Hunter and PM6 are supposed to follow with the same y-split cable design. Assuming they continue to produce another batch of each, but who knows with their IEM product life spans; the Hyperion is the only IEM that remains from the launch lineup from 2 years ago and it and the OG Delta were the only IEMs they ever produced that remained in the product stack for more than a year. Some didn't make it longer than a year (Atlas, Delta V2, Vyrus 1), a couple were discontinued immediately after they all shipped (Sabre, PM4), and one seems to have been discontinued before anyone even got a set (Atlas-Delta). Wish they'd learn to space out their releases better.

But the Icarus line will need to be watched. I'm not sure why Bob ever claimed a crossover network was unnecessary, but if he can make an IEM sound the way the Hunters do without a crossover network, think of what he could make the Icarus IV do with a crossover network. You interpreted my thoughts about the wildcard correctly; just what is the Icarus line going to be capable of? The Icarus III is the first product to showcase two completely new drivers in their inventory (enlarged dual-coil and second gen BA) and the Icarus IV is so far the top of the Icarus line and the first Trinity IEM to have a crossover network, announced maybe 6 months or so after he claimed that crossovers were totally unnecessary. I may not have bought either of the new Icarus IEMs because this recent buying experience hasn't been good in any way, but that doesn't mean I can't be interested in what this new IEM lineup can do.

HaHaHa! I forgot about the "W's." Although I was thinking along the lines of being misunderstood. So far everything I have listened to has been impeccable. And as I said before I am trying to stress them. Read your review after posting and enjoyed it, but will certainly revisit it later.

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #19,128 of 24,683
Changing the subject. I really like the ultra smooth body shape of my Trinity Atlas. They are comfortable. They completely fill up the bowl of my ear horizontally and the smooth edges never cause discomfort. I wonder why Trinity seems to be moving away from smooth shapes and to the angular design?

I completely agree. My Atlas has the very best fit of any of my Trinity IEM's with the Hunter being second. Would really like to see another Trinity product using the same shell.

Jul 1, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #19,133 of 24,683
Bob most likely didn't need the crossovers to achieve the analytical sound he was aiming for with the phantom line. If he was able to engineer the filters enough to take advantage of the drawbacks of BA's then what's the use for a crossover. He may have used the length of the filters to shift the resonant peaks around and changed the diameter in the filters to get the low and mid frequency response he was aiming for and adjusted the dynamic driver with the port hole sizing to seal the deal in the bottom end. You can tell with the 7-8kHz peaks and the insane amount of top end detail and sparkle in the black acoustic dampened filters what's going on, although I wish he would have chosen longer ones and used them in all the undamped filters.

For him to move from an analytical sound past neutral and hit the organic end of the spectrum he will most definitely need crossovers. I think the sound he envisions cannot be tuned by mechanical means only. By using crossovers he gains the ability modify the signals to the balanced armatures, he can tweak the impedance curves to get really close to the frequency response curve that he wishes for and have a good amount of control over the roll offs. Then he can further modify the sound by mechanical means with the filter system for each users preferences.

Or something.

In my eyes Bob is playing around with what he can do and at which end of the spectrum he can shine. Even though his ass doesn't come around anymore I still like the dude. The Delta 2 was a win as an all-rounder, the Phantom line "delivers" what it promises and sounds great for what it is, and I have high hopes the the Icarus line hits it's target sound just as well :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #19,135 of 24,683
There isn't just one type of sound, I doubt the Icarus line will be "better" or "superior" than the Phantom. It will simply be different. Just depends what's right for you and whether you want something analytical, reference, neutral, or organic sounding. I think the Hunter will be able to deliver what the Icarus 4 can't and vice versa and you'll have to decide which sound signature is better suited to your liking

Jul 1, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #19,136 of 24,683
There isn't just one type of sound, I doubt the Icarus line will be "better" or "superior" than the Phantom. It will simply be different. Just depends what's right for you and whether you want something analytical, reference, neutral, or organic sounding. I think the Hunter will be able to deliver what the Icarus 4 can't and vice versa and you'll have to decide which sound signature is better suited to your liking
Hey, did you find more ways to tame the treble in master apart from doubling the black damping material?

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #19,137 of 24,683
Thanks miko for such detailed input.
By the way what do you mean by "although I wish he would have chosen longer ones and used them in all the undamped filters"?

I was referring to the black acoustic dampers inside some of the filters. It's a plug shaped black piece of foam and dampens the frequency range that I'm assuming lies somewhere around ~8+kHz range. High frequency sound waves have lower energy than low frequency waves, the black acoustic damping plugs are aimed at treble, therefore if you stack them you can slightly extend the damping range of the system and maybe even the magnitude at higher volume levels. You will dampen all of your high energy sound waves starting from the highest frequency that you can hear until you reach a certain wave magnitude that is not affected by it.

Or something.

If you have sharp peaks in your upper frequencies it's something you can consider doing. Their damping doesn't seem to extend as far as the white damping filter media so the IEM doesn't sound as congested. Personally I love the gold undamped filters with two black damping plugs in each filter, and the same with the silver ones at times if I want more bass and mids.

Jul 1, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #19,138 of 24,683
Has anyone double stuffed the purple undamped filters yet? I'm pleasantly surprised. Expansive but tightttttttt bass and more intimate vocals with a nice dreamy and catchy feel to the top end, still no piercing highs even with the volume cranked. These sound pretty musical on the master, and on my 4th edit I want to say they are the most atmospheric so far out of all the combinations I've tried.

Can we just agree to make Double Stuff™ a thing?

I'm wandering what the dimensional changes are between the purple and black filters, and the silver and red filters as well, but my digital calipers are too large.

I have so many questions. I need to stop posting for a while again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back