TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Aug 25, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #2,911 of 3,867
Aug 25, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #2,912 of 3,867
Cool looking cable!

821691928-1860615420.jpg

TRI 2 Core Grace-S 630 Strands High-end Silver-plated Pure Cooper HiFi Earphone Upgrade Cable.

I have one on the way!

Aug 25, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #2,913 of 3,867
This one is not too bad too!

KBear Graphene.png

KBEAR Wide 8 core Graphene single crystal copper plated with silver Cable.

On the way too!!

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #2,915 of 3,867
The original cable of i3 pro is 3.5mm without 4.4 option and good enough except the plug for someone.

When someone bought i3 pro with a upgraded cable of balanced plug, the original will be a kind of waste if can not be sold or used to another earphone.

So I am wondering that how many people want a balanced option when we release new product of TRI. Or what should we do next time.
"Balanced" TRRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve) can be adapted to single ended TRS, so some companies ship their earphones with a 2.5mm TRRS balanced cable and then two short adapters, one that goes to 4.4mm TRRS balanced and one to 3.5mm TRS single ended. That covers most people's needs without having to worry about stocking all the variant cables.

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #2,916 of 3,867
Like most people on this thread, I use balanced cables, and I think we would all appreciate it if TRi made balanced cables standard and single ended cables optional.

On the question of which balanced plug, 2.5mm or 4.4mm?

My vote is for 2.5 because it easier to adapt using a 4.4mm adapter.

The 3.5mm cables and 4.4mm cables, I have are redundant because I use adapters instead of switching cables every time I change the source.
If looking at it from a technical perspective, balanced audio requires L+, L-, R+, R- and ground to work properly, so 5 connection points. By this definition 4.4 mm Pentaconn is the only (true) balanced option being TRRRS and therefore having all 5 connection points as the name implies (Penta = 5). 2.5 mm works by omitting the ground connector being a TRRS, how A&K got this to work properly I don't know but it does.

Adapting 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm and 4.4 mm is slightly easier and takes up less space than adapting 4.4 mm to 3.5 mm and 2.5 mm. While useful on the road, this really isn't big factor for home use. At the moment the are way more portable sources with 2.5 mm than with 4.4 mm, while there are more of these coming for now 2.5 mm rules the portable side of things. And with IEMs being more common for portable use it makes a lot more sense to use 2.5 mm in this regard.

As for the strength of the connector, 2.5 mm is not necessarily weaker than 4.4 mm as the build materials do play a role in this but in with tubes (as these connectors are made from multiple tubes inside each other) the rule is bigger diameter + same wall thickness = stronger with no exceptions when using the same materials.
Another thing here is the perceived strength, how strong does it look compared to how strong it actually is. Same thing goes for quality with most products. And this can have a big impact on someones preference on certain products.

Take the following with a grain of salt as it's not a proper comparison using multiple IEMs, cables and the like but I've tested the difference between 2.5 mm and 4.4 mm about a year ago for myself. No measurements, using only my ears. Just out of curiosity.
Source: X7 Mk II with the AM3E amp module (which has both balanced connectors using the same part of the circuit)
IEM: KZ ZS10 Pro
Cables: Tripowin C8, QDC to 2.5 mm and QDC to 4.4 mm
Results: There was almost no noticeable difference between them, the only difference was the sound stage. The 4.4 mm had a much wider sound stage compared the 2.5 mm, but having slightly less depth than the 2.5 mm. Probably due to the ground acting as a channel crossover but I'm not sure.
That said, both improved the sound quality over the 3.5 mm SE

My personal preference is 4.4 Pentaconn as it is the stronger connector and technically the superior option but YMMV

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #2,917 of 3,867
"Balanced" TRRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve) can be adapted to single ended TRS, so some companies ship their earphones with a 2.5mm TRRS balanced cable and then two short adapters, one that goes to 4.4mm TRRS balanced and one to 3.5mm TRS single ended. That covers most people's needs without having to worry about stocking all the variant cables.
I think once you get >$500 on an IEM, they should give you the option of termination of cable in my opinion. I say this especially with a company like KBEAR/TRI when they make their cables in bulk and have hundreds in stock according to their aliexpress. the 2.5 trrs with adapters is nice to cover their bases but most i would say would not want to use any adapters if they can help it and would end up buying a replacement cable anyways.

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #2,918 of 3,867
If looking at it from a technical perspective, balanced audio requires L+, L-, R+, R- and ground to work properly, so 5 connection points. By this definition 4.4 mm Pentaconn is the only (true) balanced option being TRRRS and therefore having all 5 connection points as the name implies (Penta = 5). 2.5 mm works by omitting the ground connector being a TRRS, how A&K got this to work properly I don't know but it does.

Adapting 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm and 4.4 mm is slightly easier and takes up less space than adapting 4.4 mm to 3.5 mm and 2.5 mm. While useful on the road, this really isn't big factor for home use. At the moment the are way more portable sources with 2.5 mm than with 4.4 mm, while there are more of these coming for now 2.5 mm rules the portable side of things. And with IEMs being more common for portable use it makes a lot more sense to use 2.5 mm in this regard.

As for the strength of the connector, 2.5 mm is not necessarily weaker than 4.4 mm as the build materials do play a role in this but in with tubes (as these connectors are made from multiple tubes inside each other) the rule is bigger diameter + same wall thickness = stronger with no exceptions when using the same materials.
Another thing here is the perceived strength, how strong does it look compared to how strong it actually is. Same thing goes for quality with most products. And this can have a big impact on someones preference on certain products.

Take the following with a grain of salt as it's not a proper comparison using multiple IEMs, cables and the like but I've tested the difference between 2.5 mm and 4.4 mm about a year ago for myself. No measurements, using only my ears. Just out of curiosity.
Source: X7 Mk II with the AM3E amp module (which has both balanced connectors using the same part of the circuit)
Results: There was almost no noticeable difference between them, the only difference was the sound stage. The 4.4 mm had a much wider sound stage compared the 2.5 mm, but having slightly less depth than the 2.5 mm. Probably due to the ground acting as a channel crossover but I'm not sure.

My personal preference is 4.4 Pentaconn as it is the stronger connector and technically the superior option but YMMV
The extra ground in the 4.4mm Pentaconn is not for headphones (which don't use it) but when using a balanced line output to a home audio system to prevent ground loops. Electrically there shouldn't be any differences between 2.5mm and 4.4mm for headphones (or Neutrik 4-pin XLR balanced headphone connectors for people with desktop amps). If you experienced a difference with two different balanced cables on the same portable player, you should get those cables tested, one probably has an issue.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #2,919 of 3,867

Although I was aware of the difference between the TRRRS on 4.4mm balanced plugs, TRRS on the 2.5mm plugs, which is visually represented by the rings on the plugs, I was not aware that anyone has tested them. Good to know.

Of course, it could be a costly transition if someone is setup for a particular plug, regardless of which, and then has to change. However, the least costly is the transition to 2.5mm, in my view, simply because adapting 2.5mm to either 3.5mm or 4.4mm by use of adapters is easier.

Hopefully, we find a decision with which we are all happy.

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #2,920 of 3,867
Like most people on this thread, I use balanced cables, and I think we would all appreciate it if TRi made balanced cables standard and single ended cables optional.

On the question of which balanced plug, 2.5mm or 4.4mm?

My vote is for 2.5 because it easier to adapt using a 4.4mm adapter.

The 3.5mm cables and 4.4mm cables, I have are redundant because I use adapters instead of switching cables every time I change the source.
I do use 2.5 as well.
I never had any problems with the plug durability of 2.5.

Aug 25, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #2,921 of 3,867
The extra ground in the 4.4mm Pentaconn is not for headphones (which don't use it) but when using a balanced line output to a home audio system to prevent ground loops. Electrically there shouldn't be any differences between 2.5mm and 4.4mm for headphones (or Neutrik 4-pin XLR balanced headphone connectors for people with desktop amps). If you experienced a difference with two different balanced cables on the same portable player, you should get those cables tested, one probably has an issue.
Good to know. I won't claim I know everything and it makes sense that headphones don't need a ground when balanced. Also explains why cable with swappable termination often use 4 pins to connect them.

As for the cable testing, I've got nothing to test them with ATM so as said in the original comment, take it with a grain of salt.
It's no scientific research, just some observations from a limited test I once did.
Maybe there is something there, maybe there is nothing at all, maybe... it's maybelline :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Although I was aware of the difference between the TRRRS on 4.4mm balanced plugs, TRRS on the 2.5mm plugs, which is visually represented by the rings on the plugs, I was not aware that anyone has tested them. Good to know.
Like I said take it with a grain of salt, I'm just a guy who loves music and due to my ASD can get a little (a lot) carried away with my interests. A lot more research has to be done into it and results will vary from IEM to IEM, cable to cable and source to source. But it would seem like a interesting thing to try out and do properly once.

Aug 26, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #2,923 of 3,867
Aug 26, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #2,924 of 3,867
The original cable of i3 pro is 3.5mm without 4.4 option and good enough except the plug for someone.

When someone bought i3 pro with a upgraded cable of balanced plug, the original will be a kind of waste if can not be sold or used to another earphone.

So I am wondering that how many people want a balanced option when we release new product of TRI. Or what should we do next time.
@WendyLi A radical idea:

How about with no cable (at a suitably reduced price)?

I have balanced silver, SPC and copper/SPC hybrid cables (all KBEAR, incidentally) and so would be using one of them anyway.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back