TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Aug 24, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #2,881 of 3,867
Aug 24, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #2,882 of 3,867
Tri I3 Pro: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tr...rs-1planar-1dd-1ba.25356/reviews#review-26606

Highly recommend it if you have a library that is similar to mine or just love lots of bass with quality, quality mids and a massive soundstage. I would only advise treble-heads to stay away from it, as the dip between 4-6k is likely to be dark for people with that preference.
Got my Spring 2 for treble :D Was looking for something with big bass & quality mids. Looks like Tri i3 Pro will compliment my Spring 2's very well :)

Aug 24, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #2,883 of 3,867
Got my Spring 2 for treble :D Was looking for something with big bass & quality mids. Looks like Tri i3 Pro will compliment my Spring 2's very well :)
graph - 2021-08-24T164936.151.png

Yeah, that is a pretty good complement.

Aug 24, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #2,884 of 3,867
Tri I3 Pro: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tr...rs-1planar-1dd-1ba.25356/reviews#review-26606

Highly recommend it if you have a library that is similar to mine or just love lots of bass with quality, quality mids and a massive soundstage. I would only advise treble-heads to stay away from it, as the dip between 4-6k is likely to be dark for people with that preference.

I wonder if someone can kindly do an A/B comparison of the original TRI I3 versus the new I3 Pro.

I don't have the I3 Pro, but the original I3 is a set with big bass and very lush mids. Darkish treble. Needs amping due to the planars inside. So those without powerful sources may need to look elsewhere though. It had one of the best 3D soundstages for a $100 set, almost akin to earbuds (assuming amplification is used).

The original I3 was also very heavy in shell weight and big in size, but the huge shells was what probably contributed to the great soundstage. So I'm wondering specifically if they made the I3 Pro smaller in size, would they still have the big soundstage of the original I3?

Aug 24, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #2,885 of 3,867
I don't have the I3 Pro, but the original I3 is a set with big bass and very lush mids. Darkish treble. Needs amping due to the planars inside. So those without powerful sources may need to look elsewhere though.
Not a problem on the Pro.

almost akin to earbuds (assuming amplification is used).
That I dont think the Pro has.

The original I3 was also very heavy in shell weight and big in size, but the huge shells was what probably contributed to the great soundstage. So I'm wondering specifically if they made the I3 Pro smaller in size, would they still have the big soundstage of the original I3?
They added those vents to compensate for the size, is what I believe. Although it does sound like the soundstage might have taken a hit, since this is not earbud level. Not in my top 3 soundstage for iems either (Fiio FD5, Sony EX1000, LZ A6).

Aug 24, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #2,887 of 3,867
I've got a Hiby R5s DAP which outputs 564mW @32Ω through the 4.4 balanced port, fingers crossed that will be enough to power i3 pro properly! :thinking:
Dont worry, if I can run it on my G7.
1629817265860.png

At 3.6mw, you definitely can at 564mw :joy:

Aug 24, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #2,889 of 3,867
Damn, they must have made the i3 Pro more power efficient this time, its good news for those with low powered dongles & LG phones. Cheers for the info btw :)
The strange thing is that the impedance (15ohm) and the sensitivity (103db) on it doesnt really imply it is a power efficient iem...

But of course it still sounded better on my Asgard 3, as every one of my iems does lol.

Aug 24, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #2,890 of 3,867

Still a pleasure to read you ! They performs very well in terms of details, the soundstage is indeed very wide especially for the price and the mids are very good, especially for vocal-performance. I couldn't try the FD5, how would you compare the soundstage of the two and their separation / coherence instrumental ?

For the bass, indeed, we feel it. They will be sufficient for the majority of the listeners. But what tips do you use to consider them basshead? In my case, yes, you can feel the bass but not to the point where I could consider almost or basshead IEMs (but well it's really subjective the term "basshead")

And a another little picture, got them yesterday :

239734771_164301215835125_3496066341611273857_n.jpg

Aug 24, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #2,891 of 3,867
I couldn't try the FD5, how would you compare the soundstage of the two and their separation / coherence instrumental ?
FD5 has the better soundstage, separation and timbre (single DD coherency cant be beaten by hybrids).

For the bass, indeed, we feel it. They will be sufficient for the majority of the listeners. But what tips do you use to consider them basshead? In my case, yes, you can feel the bass but not to the point where I could consider almost or basshead IEMs (but well it's really subjective the term "basshead")
They definitely have enough bass quantity to be considered a basshead iem, except it also has quality. So it will work for none-bassheads as well.

(Elecom EHP-CAP20 tips, not that tips make an iem go from non-basshead to basshead though.)

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #2,892 of 3,867
@baskingshark I've got a Hiby R5s DAP which outputs 564mW @32Ω through the 4.4 balanced port, fingers crossed that will be enough to power i3 pro properly! :thinking:

That's more than enough power bro, even for the original TRI I3 haha. Look forward to your impressions and reviews when u get the Pro.

The strange thing is that the impedance (15ohm) and the sensitivity (103db) on it doesnt really imply it is a power efficient iem...

But of course it still sounded better on my Asgard 3, as every one of my iems does lol.

I think we can't take use the usual impedance/sensitivity readings to correlate with planars, when it comes to driving them. They are a really different kettle of fish in terms of power requirements, compared to traditional BA/DD drivers.

They added those vents to compensate for the size, is what I believe. Although it does sound like the soundstage might have taken a hit, since this is not earbud level. Not in my top 3 soundstage for iems either (Fiio FD5, Sony EX1000, LZ A6).

Wow, ok then I gues probably the TRI I3 Pro really had to make some compromises for soundstage with a reduced shell size. Will need folks with both sets to verify this though.

FWIW, the original I3's soundstage was really quite amazing considering it isn't open backed. I mean open backed IEMs generally trade away isolation for soundstage, so the I3 managing to get that big soundstage in without being open backed is quite a good engineering achievement.

Aug 25, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #2,893 of 3,867
The original cable of i3 pro is 3.5mm without 4.4 option and good enough except the plug for someone.

When someone bought i3 pro with a upgraded cable of balanced plug, the original will be a kind of waste if can not be sold or used to another earphone.

So I am wondering that how many people want a balanced option when we release new product of TRI. Or what should we do next time.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #2,894 of 3,867
The original cable of i3 pro is 3.5mm without 4.4 option and good enough except the plug for someone.

When someone bought i3 pro with a upgraded cable of balanced plug, the original will be a kind of waste if can not be sold or used to another earphone.

So I am wondering that how many people want a balanced option when we release new product of TRI. Or what should we do next time.
I think most people want to use 4.4 (or even 2.5) mm cables so they can use the balanced output from their amp, which in most cases is always better than the SE output in the same amp.

Aug 25, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #2,895 of 3,867

Ideally users should be given a choice of cable with different terminations. They can buy either a 2.5/3.5/4.4 mm version basis their requirements.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back