TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Aug 25, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #2,896 of 3,867
The original cable of i3 pro is 3.5mm without 4.4 option and good enough except the plug for someone.

When someone bought i3 pro with a upgraded cable of balanced plug, the original will be a kind of waste if can not be sold or used to another earphone.

So I am wondering that how many people want a balanced option when we release new product of TRI. Or what should we do next time.
Hello Miss Wendy I think Tri should offer an option to choose between 3.5/2.5/4.4 mm cable for their next IEM's.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #2,897 of 3,867
Aug 25, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #2,898 of 3,867
The strange thing is that the impedance (15ohm) and the sensitivity (103db) on it doesnt really imply it is a power efficient iem...

But of course it still sounded better on my Asgard 3, as every one of my iems does lol.
BTW mate I noticed in your review you mentioned there's a pressure build up while using the i3 Pro. One of the reasons why I sold my Strasea is cause I hated that annoying BA pressure build up which lead to discomfort during long listening sessions. Is it the same case for you while using the i3 Pro?

Aug 25, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #2,899 of 3,867
BTW mate I noticed in your review you mentioned there's a pressure build up while using the i3 Pro. One of the reasons why I sold my Strasea is cause I hated that annoying BA pressure build up which lead to discomfort during long listening sessions. Is it the same case for you while using the i3 Pro?
No idea how it is on the starsea, but it isnt as much as on BA-only iems. It is pretty minor.

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #2,901 of 3,867
The original cable of i3 pro is 3.5mm without 4.4 option and good enough except the plug for someone.

When someone bought i3 pro with a upgraded cable of balanced plug, the original will be a kind of waste if can not be sold or used to another earphone.

So I am wondering that how many people want a balanced option when we release new product of TRI. Or what should we do next time.
Like most people on this thread, I use balanced cables, and I think we would all appreciate it if TRi made balanced cables standard and single ended cables optional.

On the question of which balanced plug, 2.5mm or 4.4mm?

My vote is for 2.5 because it easier to adapt using a 4.4mm adapter.

The 3.5mm cables and 4.4mm cables, I have are redundant because I use adapters instead of switching cables every time I change the source.

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #2,902 of 3,867
Like most people on this thread, I use balanced cables, and I think we would all appreciate it if TRi made balanced cables standard and single ended cables optional.

The 3.5mm cables and 4.4mm cables, I have are redundant because I use adapters instead of switching cables every time I change the source.
4.4mm is superior to 2.5mm due to it being more durable. It is also the one that is more used now. 2.5mm is getting less and less popular.

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #2,903 of 3,867

My vote would be 4.4 for sure, but why restrict the balanced choice to just one?
2.5 is a spindly, largely legacy connector suited only to tiny devices like dongles or BT dac/amps (and even then I'd personally rather take the hit on a slightly larger device that can accommodate 4.4. I am NOT fond of the 2.5 on my Qudelix).
Given a choice of all 3, everyone would be happy.

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #2,904 of 3,867
4.4mm is superior to 2.5mm due to it being more durable. It is also the one that is more used now. 2.5mm is getting less and less popular.
I accept 4.4mm is more robust, but if you have a small portable device such as BTR5, most use 2.5mm. With an adapter 2.5mm is more versitile and convenient to go across devices than 4.4mm.

I switched to 2 5mm for all my cables over a year ago and, although I accept 4 4mm is more secure because it is more robust, I have not damaged any of my 2 5mm cables yet (he says touching wood).

However, let us see what everyone's preference is and then what KBEAR/TRI decide. Mine is but one vote.

Aug 25, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #2,905 of 3,867
With an adapter 2.5mm is more versatile and convenient to go across devices than 4.4mm.

I switched to 2 5mm for all my cables over a year ago and, although I accept 4 4mm is more secure because it is more robust, I have not damaged any of my 2 5mm cables yet (he says touching wood).
This. If you have devices where some utilise 2.5 and others 4.4 mm then it makes more sense to cable all your IEMs for 2.5 mm and use an adapter.

Aug 25, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #2,906 of 3,867
My vote would be 4.4 for sure, but why restrict the balanced choice to just one?
2.5 is a spindly, largely legacy connector suited only to tiny devices like dongles or BT dac/amps (and even then I'd personally rather take the hit on a slightly larger device that can accommodate 4.4. I am NOT fond of the 2.5 on my Qudelix).
Given a choice of all 3, everyone would be happy.
I see your point and it would be great to have all the options at the point of purchase but quite expensive to stock all 3, waiting for orders.

Aug 25, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #2,908 of 3,867
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #2,909 of 3,867
Alright here is a poll you can vote in regard what connector type you prefer:
https://www.strawpoll.me/45603608

:thumbsup:
Have voted! My preference is for the 4.4 owing to sturdiness though I will accept the 2.5 also. Having said that, I am well stocked up with enough adapters to use either! The 4.4 is just confidence boosting. Sometimes size matters!!!

Aug 25, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #2,910 of 3,867

Users who are viewing this thread

Back