TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Aug 26, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #2,927 of 3,867
1629986081213.png

(reminder to vote here if you havent:
https://strawpoll.com/e26bouw17)

Aug 26, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #2,928 of 3,867
Woah!! Excited for this one!! I wonder why the "A" and "t" are highlighted, is there some kind of indication with these??

Aug 26, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #2,929 of 3,867
Aug 26, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #2,930 of 3,867
The poll should also have an option to choose any. Defaulting to any of the balanced jacks makes it prohibitive to new users who don't have gear supporting such terminations.
I mean, this is what you would prefer to be using. Not what you are currently using. So brands can get an idea on what is more popular.

Aug 26, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #2,931 of 3,867
I mean, this is what you would prefer to be using. Not what you are currently using. So brands can get an idea on what is more popular.
Ahh! Still an option with any of the above and other ought to be part of the poll. This would help brands in knowing how many prefer cables bundled in or really want to pick and choose their terminations every time. Gives them a fair idea of how many users engage in such behaviour.

Aug 26, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #2,932 of 3,867
Haha I came in and thought I was in the wrong thread. Thought this was a cables thread haha! Kiddin.

Anyways just my 2 cents. More cable connector choices are better for the consumer, they can do something like the CCZ Plume and Mangrid Xenns Up in giving a stock 2.5 mm cable with adapters for 3.5 mm unbalanced/4.4 balanced sources. Though more adapters and a balanced cable will inevitably add to costs. Unless TRI is intending to sell just a balanced cable version, or an unbalanced cable version.

But one big area to think about is what do the majority of folks listening to music use in terms of sources? And what price bracket are we catering the IEM to?
1) The first question is, do folks mostly use balanced or unbalanced sources?

I read a survey on the internet that around 90+ % of people use their IEMs from their phones. No external Dac/Amp stuff. We are kind of the minority here that do cable and tip rolling and debate about A/B testings and lossless files and burn in.

2) What price bracket is this cable question catering to?
I'm pretty sure most folks who are new to the hobby or dabbling in the budget segment, they are not interested in getting balanced sources and will just be using phones or single ended gear. Folks buying higher end IEMs may wanna upgrade every area in the chain for synergy, and may have balanced sources lying about easily. Actually I would consider the TRI I3 Pro to be still within the budget CHIFI segement (considering it is sub $200 USD). Granted, the TRI I3 Pro has a planar driver and folks intending to get this will probably know it needs at least some power to scale better.

The other thing is most of us in this hobby probably already have a stash of unbalanced/balanced cables or even adapters lying about. I think some of us can just whip out a balanced cable on the fly to use with whatever new IEM comes in the mail. Most of us also don't bother using stock cables/stock eartips anyways right?

And a last issue to consider, is that not every gear scales better with more power or balanced cables. Dynamic drivers and planars in generally do better with more power. But those multi BA driver low impedance/high sensitivity types may scale very little or not at all with balanced sources. In fact some highly sensitive multi BA sets will have a warped FR with too much power.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #2,933 of 3,867
Haha I came in and thought I was in the wrong thread. Thought this was a cables thread haha! Kiddin.

Anyways just my 2 cents. More cable connector choices are better for the consumer, they can do something like the CCZ Plume and Mangrid Xenns Up in giving a stock 2.5 mm cable with adapters for 3.5 mm unbalanced/4.4 balanced sources. Though more adapters and a balanced cable will inevitably add to costs. Unless TRI is intending to sell just a balanced cable version, or an unbalanced cable version.

But one big area to think about is what do the majority of folks listening to music use in terms of sources? And what price bracket are we catering the IEM to?
1) The first question is, do folks mostly use balanced or unbalanced sources?

I read a survey on the internet that around 90+ % of people use their IEMs from their phones. No external Dac/Amp stuff. We are kind of the minority here that do cable and tip rolling and debate about A/B testings and lossless files and burn in.

2) What price bracket is this cable question catering to?
I'm pretty sure most folks who are new to the hobby or dabbling in the budget segment, they are not interested in getting balanced sources and will just be using phones or single ended gear. Folks buying higher end IEMs may wanna upgrade every area in the chain for synergy, and may have balanced sources lying about easily. Actually I would consider the TRI I3 Pro to be still within the budget CHIFI segement (considering it is sub $200 USD). Granted, the TRI I3 Pro has a planar driver and folks intending to get this will probably know it needs at least some power to scale better.

The other thing is most of us in this hobby probably already have a stash of unbalanced/balanced cables or even adapters lying about. I think some of us can just whip out a balanced cable on the fly to use with whatever new IEM comes in the mail. Most of us also don't bother using stock cables/stock eartips anyways right?

And a last issue to consider, is that not every gear scales better with more power or balanced cables. Dynamic drivers and planars in generally do better with more power. But those multi BA driver low impedance/high sensitivity types may scale very little or not at all with balanced sources. In fact some highly sensitive multi BA sets will have a warped FR with too much power.
Agree.

Although
In fact some highly sensitive multi BA sets will have a warped FR with too much power.
that is due to the output impedance rather than the power. Guess you can say that BAs need quality (low OI) instead of quantity (high mw).

Aug 26, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #2,934 of 3,867
My view exactly. I can imagine a scenario in which I get several redundant 4.4 cables cosily lying with my redundant 3 5 cables because I chose to buy the latest mini DAC/Amp, such as a revised BTR5, Qudelix, or Shanling because I have TRI products.

By the way, is there an agreed time frame for this poll?

Aug 26, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #2,935 of 3,867
Aug 26, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #2,938 of 3,867
I mean I don't see what the big fuss is over? Tri can offer the option to choose between 4.4/2.5/3.5 mm cables when making the purchase, just like BQEYZ does.

Another route can be like the Fiio FD3 pro where the connectors are interchangeable and all 3 options are included in the retail box, customers can choose whichever they fancy. Anything is better than being stick with just the default 3.5mm, like Tri is doing now 🙄

Aug 26, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #2,939 of 3,867
Aug 26, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #2,940 of 3,867
Anyone compared i3 to i3 pro yet?
According to AliExpress my pair will be delivered tomorrow (fingers crossed) but I should get photo comparisons up over the weekend and (if I skip over my other two reviews, which came first) the review with sound comparisons a week or so later. Not a promise, but I will do my best.

Did anyone burn-in the I3 Pros, if so was there any difference after burn-in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back