Travelling, need headphones for electronic music production/mixing....narrowing it down!
Apr 14, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #16 of 48
If you haven't already, have a read of http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12 Its an in depth and personal view of many of the headphones you have mentioned.

Like you, I produce music from a small studio using nearfields, I've used a pair of Sony MDR 7506 for 10yrs now which are fine for tracking. The Sony's have also been my only set when forced to work late at night. I operate straight out of the Apogee Duet which power the Sony's ok. They are not the best for mixing and I don't know if there's a perfect solution for that but out of all the headphones the DT880 (250ohm) is on my short list as a good all round headphone.

As with my music gear, I tend to stay away from lessor known gear just in case I may need to sell things on, I like to at least get good value on the 2nd market. In this regard the DT880's hold their value well.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #18 of 48
Quote:
hey man, thanks for the input

yeah well im not even sure wether Im going to go for closed, semi open or open.  I dont need to have the isolation really, but when I first set out thinking i would deifnately want open cans, people started mentioning alll these closed models for EDM.  It seems that its easier to get a good bass response, obviously there must be something lost though.

I have found lots of good reports of the Shure SRH840s.  Im quite keen to try these out.

Other ones that seem to have made teh shortlist, are the AKG702's, The Beyer 880' (or possibly other models). Senheisser hd800, 650s and 600s?

Ive got so confused after a week of forum searching by all the names and models! 

Thanks for all your help guys, any more appreciated

Wow that is allot of different phones thrown in there. They are all good for sure, but not necessarily for what you require. 
First, if you can afford the HD800 - go and audition them. I believe they will be excellent for EDM production! however bare in mind that you will also need a good amp.

The HD600 are light on bass, and the HD650 may be a little bit slow for electronic music.

The SRH840 are very good for what you are after but by no means are best of their class. If you are willing to spend more, I believe you can do better. Also note that Tyll at Inner Fidelity have changed his recommendation in that price/catergory from the SRH840 to the UE6000, that usually means something so definitely have a look at those.
I will again repeat my recommendation to look at the DT250, I believe they will surpass the SRH840 by much.

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #19 of 48
Hi

Thanks for your reply

Having an amp isnt really practical, as Im trying to get a very light and small setup for being on the move, an my rucksack is already packed to the brim!

Obviously Im not looking for headphones that are light on bass as Im making dance music.

Without at amp, is there anything in a higher price range you could reccomend for EDM production.  I have the money and need to get a shortlist so i can ask my local store which is still 2 hours away to get in a few pairs.  But they wont order in loads just for me to test!

Thanks

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #20 of 48
Quote:
If you haven't already, have a read of http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12 Its an in depth and personal view of many of the headphones you have mentioned.

Like you, I produce music from a small studio using nearfields, I've used a pair of Sony MDR 7506 for 10yrs now which are fine for tracking. The Sony's have also been my only set when forced to work late at night. I operate straight out of the Apogee Duet which power the Sony's ok. They are not the best for mixing and I don't know if there's a perfect solution for that but out of all the headphones the DT880 (250ohm) is on my short list as a good all round headphone.

As with my music gear, I tend to stay away from lessor known gear just in case I may need to sell things on, I like to at least get good value on the 2nd market. In this regard the DT880's hold their value well.

You can try the K-702, the Duet can drive them to some extent. I used the Mini Dac to drive my 702s, and after some time I upgrade to the Phonitor.

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #21 of 48
Hi Yeah I was hinking about trying the 702's, but have heard very mixed reviews of them.  I have an RME babyface to drive them, which is similar to the duet.

I have read the 57 headphones review, it was quite a read!  It helped but still just trying to get 2 or 3 pairs of headphones the shop closest to me to order in for me to try.

Im thinking :

Shure SRH840
AKG K702
Beyerdynamic something.....cant decide!

Are there any senheissers that you could reccomend to add to this list. That have enough bass fro EDM. I have hd-25s already.

Thanks

Alex

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #22 of 48
I know the DT880 250ohms would be ok for the Duet but perhaps not for the Babyface. I just did a little googling around and it seems the RME has trouble driving mid to high ohm headphones which pretty much cancels high end senns. You may need to go for lower ohm headphones ie 32ohm. If you dig around google I'm sure you'll find your answer, thats what I'd do. Then you'll have a selection of phones that will work to start with.

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #24 of 48
Quote:
Hi Yeah I was hinking about trying the 702's, but have heard very mixed reviews of them.  I have an RME babyface to drive them, which is similar to the duet.

I have read the 57 headphones review, it was quite a read!  It helped but still just trying to get 2 or 3 pairs of headphones the shop closest to me to order in for me to try.

Im thinking :

Shure SRH840
AKG K702
Beyerdynamic something.....cant decide!

Are there any senheissers that you could reccomend to add to this list. That have enough bass fro EDM. I have hd-25s already.

Thanks

Alex

You should try 702s for yourself...the 25s have enough bass ( I had them ones ). I'm not sure if you'll need more bass, the 702s will offer you other aspects of your mix to work out.

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #27 of 48
I really cant stress enough how much the Soundmagic Hp100 fits precisely what your asking for It even folds and comes with a slimline hardcase and rock climbing caribeena!  THey are made for EDM, you would be doing yourself a serious disservice not trying them. Also IMHO all headphones need amping, so grab yourself something small with a good battery life and if possible some sound adjustment like a bass boost or eq setting, however thats not essential.

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #28 of 48
Oh really, I havent come across soundmagic, are they a well thought of brand?

Some guy on amazon said he preffered them to many of the other headphones I had considered.  interesting, yet another set to confuse matters!

He did also say some people may not be happy with the lean towards the high end.

Im not sure where Id get to listen to these

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #29 of 48
Read reveiws here- theres a bunch of them over 2-4 threads. Soundmagic actually make the headphone for many of the big brands, including some you have your eye on.
Their IEMs are quite famous and award winning. This is their first foray into their own branded headphone.

I have 6 or more sets of cans at home all in the $150-very expensive range and the soundmagics get 8/10 listens.

Im starting to feel like a walking advert for these things, its ridiculous really. But they are very very good. I havent bought a set of cans since, and i buy quite often. I will however pick up another set of special edition Fischers when they come out as ive had my eye on them for a while. But they are open so its a different thing.

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #30 of 48
Yeah well hopefully i can have a listen to them.  they look horrible. but that doesnt really matter!

What other companies to they make cans for?

I havent had much experience with open back headphones, but it doesnt seem like there are many open ones with a slightly hyped low end that makes cretaing dance music more enjoyable.  Because its not just about transparency, as you are creating as well as mixing.  So you need a mix between vibe and truth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back