Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 1, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #3,811 of 10,312
Frank's Silver Venom (18 AWG) and his Silver Widow (25,5AWG) are considered to be his best cables for the LCD-2 respectively LCD-3.
Has anybody heard the Silver Venom vs. the Silver Widow with LCD-2/3?
Can you please point out the main differences (regarding sound, practicality (stiffness, durability),.........)?
Do you think the Venom is worth the (very much) extra money?

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #3,812 of 10,312
From what I know the Venom is no longer available to buy.

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #3,814 of 10,312
Thank you, for your note!
Even so I hope anybody could answer my initial question.

Correction on the silver venom....its just put on hold for a while by frank....as frank wantsto go through its long backlog...and making venoms severely endangers that as it takes a huge more time to finish one then his other cables....but if uask nicely..maybe he makes one for u... :D

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #3,815 of 10,312
Quote:
Correction on the silver venom....its just put on hold for a while by frank....as frank wantsto go through its long backlog...and making venoms severely endangers that as it takes a huge more time to finish one then his other cables....but if uask nicely..maybe he makes one for u...
biggrin.gif

Thank you for your advice!
Quote:
Frank's Silver Venom (18 AWG) and his Silver Widow (25,5AWG) are considered to be his best cables for the LCD-2 respectively LCD-3.
Can you please point out the main differences (regarding sound, practicality (stiffness, durability),.........)?

Anybody ^^....???

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #3,816 of 10,312
Quote:
Thank you for your advice!
Anybody ^^....???

I haven't got them, but people are saying that the venom is the best cable available for the LCD series. The venom is much heavier and less flexible, but sounds better. It really depends on what you prioritize. 

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #3,817 of 10,312
Quote:

I have an LCD-2 cable made from Rectangular Section Silver wire, which is similar to the wire I think what Frank uses in his Silver Venom, made by another maker. I already had a good silver cable on my LCD-2.1's. What the RS Silver wired cable did was to open the LCD-2's up without loosing anything. It is a solid core cable and therefore needs some protection, but it's not a stiff cable.  The Silver Venom, I think, is going to be very similar. 

Frank put the Venom cables on hold about the time the Silver Widow was introduced and I doubt that anyone with a Silver Venom is in any hurry to try a Silver Widow except for practical reasons.

I have just recently received a Silver Widow cable for my HD600. This combination is giving my LCD-2's some serious competition. Okay, they don't have the same dynamic range as the LCD-2's, but they have a more balanced and open sound. Put me in mind of the HD800's I auditioned recently and now have on order. There are times when the bass of the LCD-2's is too much. The Silver Widow could actually be a better the option.

An 8-wire Silver Widow is what I'm considering for the HD800's.        

Jun 2, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #3,820 of 10,312
Quote:
Yes, Silver Widow with HD800.  I changed my ordered from Black Widow to Silver Widow after hearing some good feedbacks in this forum about Silver with HD800.  Frank also said they are good matches and is not bright.  I will report my findings when I have the Silver Widow.. still waiting ....

Interesting. If it turn out to be too bright, you might want to get a new HD800 because apparently, the new one is brighter. Check this thread out:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646871/new-hd-800-very-different-than-the-old-hd-800

Jun 2, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #3,821 of 10,312
Quote:
Silver on HD800? 

I need to listen to the HD800's on my own equipment to be sure, but assuming they sound like I remember from when I auditioned them, then I think the Silver Widow would be my choice. That little bit of Gold in the Silver Widow makes a difference. It isn't a bright cable. The other possibility is the Virus, the new Silver and Copper hybrid cable.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #3,822 of 10,312
Silver Widows sound great and much better than the stock cables on the HD800. That said, after having listened to them compared to the copper cables, I think the latter have amazing synergy with these headphones compensating in exactly the few areas that are not the strongest: euphony, bass impact, smoother treble.

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #3,823 of 10,312
From my experience I do not find HD800 bright.  I got two HD800s with serial number 13xxx and 16xxx and both sound great without any brightness.  The Bass is more than sufficient and is not lean at all.  I believe whether CANs sound bright or not depend very much on what headphone amplifier they are connected to.  Cable will have some adjustment to the SQ but not a determining factor IMHO.  I am using Yulong A18 headphone amplifier which as far as I know utilized HD800 as its reference headphone during design stage and that explains why the SQ of this amplifier sounds so Great with HD800. Yulong also recommended pure silver cable for HD800 and its A18 headphone amplifier.

Of the two HD800s I got one of them is using 18AWG OCC Scorpion cable while the other is using Oyaide OCC copper cable.  I have already placed an order for a Silver Widow from Frank and I will compare copper vs silver by A/B test when the SW has arrived sometimes in end of July or early Aug I hope.

Jun 2, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #3,825 of 10,312
Guys should i go OCC Silver or OCC Silver +1% gold? i went copper but seems it is not the best with J-pop less bass and treble. will keep the cable because it is made by Frank <3

so which Toxic cable should i pick now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back