Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 22, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #8,491 of 10,317

Shini, I don't approve of his immediately disputing your advice.  In fact, I think you offer great advice on this thread.  On the other hand, as with other threads, we don't want to make people fearful of posting anything but positive remarks, as I fear it may weaken the overall informational value of the thread.  With all due respect, my 2 cents.

its fine i am not here to judge the others, i am here to help any confused new cable owner, as i was in their shoe once before when i joined this thread :D

yet i think @hifimanrookie don't like it when someone don't do his research and then come to throw some bold statements like this. especially when some of us here spent over 1000-2000$ just to learn and do experiments before "stating" any facts on the thread. not that i am saying that they can't experience their opinion ofc.

but again all are free when it comes to say their impressions, its an impressions thread after all. 

i think posting negatively helps to identify the problems and solve it, and thats how it should be. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #8,492 of 10,317
What more need be said? It was one of two cables recommended by Frank. No disrespect was shown to anybody and none was intended.

The cable is for sale on E Bay with a neutral description in all fairness to potential purchasers, though I do praise the workmanship, which is very good.

This is, despite my previous assurance, my very last post on this subject. Good bye all.

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #8,493 of 10,317
I must have missed something here. From what I have seen and read, a forum post was made with someone's thoughts on a cable. Now this is great as this thread is actually titled "Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread".
So my simple question to you all is this, why, when the persons "impressions" were then posted have you deemed it necessary to lambast and berate him for having his own opinions? Had his review been a good one you would all be clanking cups and toasting it. 
The whole point of this thread is to read anything and everything 'Toxic' cable related and that means good and bad. I didn't read any attitude in his review, it was an open and honest thread about how he found it.
Personally I am stuck between 'snake oil' claims and the fact I still want one myself to try and see if it really is that good. LOL.
I am often surprised by the amount of detail and information in some of your posts as I just do not have the hearing or descriptive skills to describe what I hear in such vivid, informative details.

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #8,494 of 10,317
  I must have missed something here. From what I have seen and read, a forum post was made with someone's thoughts on a cable. Now this is great as this thread is actually titled "Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread".
So my simple question to you all is this, why, when the persons "impressions" were then posted have you deemed it necessary to lambast and berate him for having his own opinions? Had his review been a good one you would all be clanking cups and toasting it. 
The whole point of this thread is to read anything and everything 'Toxic' cable related and that means good and bad. I didn't read any attitude in his review, it was an open and honest thread about how he found it.
Personally I am stuck between 'snake oil' claims and the fact I still want one myself to try and see if it really is that good. LOL.
I am often surprised by the amount of detail and information in some of your posts as I just do not have the hearing or descriptive skills to describe what I hear in such vivid, informative details.

I think it was the guys attitude, not the comments he made on the cable that was the issue.

Jan 22, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #8,495 of 10,317
  Did you burn in the cable, as changes with use...

Unfortunately not, but was advised to do so. 

This is an impressions thread and someone should always post their honest thoughts on the cable they have purchased, i have said this many times on this thread, not only will it help others make up their mind on what they would like, it also helps me in knowing what improvements i might need to make.

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #8,496 of 10,317
  Received my Toxic-Cables Virus today :) As it was already built it only took a few working days to be delivered.

Far too early to give a proper review of the cable, especially as I have a Mjolnir 2 burning in. What I will say, is that Frank has been very quick with all of my questions, very helpful and polite. I couldn't complain about a thing.

The photos of the Virus do it no justice what so ever, this cable looks spectacular, they even glisten in the light. Needles to say, the build quality is top notch. Even if the materials used did nothing for the music, I'd still buy this cable - its just that nice. I'll likely pop it into the temporary trade thread for people to try out in a couple of months, or simply just to look at. Hah. Its a 4 pin XLR to LCD, incidentally.

Currently listening to the punchiest, clearest audio that has ever been produced by my LCD-2. Will be comparing it to a pure silver (dragon) in the coming months.

Take away notes:

Great communication with Frank
Great build quality
The virus is the sexiest cable on Earth.

Thanks for the review Owain, much appreciate mate.

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #8,497 of 10,317
  Frank......these SW22's with those adapters from 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm/6.3mm single ended......absolutely stunning in craftsmanship and sound quality.  Really brings out the lush mids of the TG334's (I already posted the K10U earlier hah).....ok maybe the Hugo has something to do with it, but I'm going to chalk it up to the cable.  Thanks!

That's an awesome setup John, glad you like the adapter pal.

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #8,498 of 10,317
Frank, I dropped you a PM. In case you missed it. Thanks! :)

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #8,499 of 10,317
Frank, I dropped you a PM. In case you missed it. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, will be going through PM's in a moment. Sorry for the delay in reply mate.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #8,500 of 10,317
Thanks, will be going through PM's in a moment. Sorry for the delay in reply mate.

No worries at all, Frank. Thought I would catch you since you are taking a breather from making all the great cables. :)

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #8,501 of 10,317
I received my SW 22g yesterday arvo, now its baking....All I can say is wonderfully crafted & came with its own box...Perfect to keep the 1plus2 in. Now I must reiterate the need for fully burning these cables in before giving your impressions.
Reason being the sound will change over time. So lets get cooking....  

Jan 28, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #8,502 of 10,317
This isn't so much a review of the performance of the cables themselves but a review of my dealing with with Frank. It's been a few months now since I ordered and received them so I apologize if any of this is old news.At the time of my ordering there had been a lot of commotion about lead times  from payment to receiving the item. As I understood it people were asked to wait 2 months and some were waiting past that and making a lot of noise about it. Well, knowing this I still wasn't discouraged because with so many people saying there is a difference, it couldn't be just BS. Well to my surprise Frank emailed me back and told me he had not one but both of the Silver Poison's I needed and in the length I required. I took this as a positive response to all the feedback he'd been publicly given in a not so constructive manner.

Just thought I'd share that.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #8,503 of 10,317
This isn't so much a review of the performance of the cables themselves but a review of my dealing with with Frank. It's been a few months now since I ordered and received them so I apologize if any of this is old news.At the time of my ordering there had been a lot of commotion about lead times  from payment to receiving the item. As I understood it people were asked to wait 2 months and some were waiting past that and making a lot of noise about it. Well, knowing this I still wasn't discouraged because with so many people saying there is a difference, it couldn't be just BS. Well to my surprise Frank emailed me back and told me he had not one but both of the Silver Dragons I needed and in the length I required. I took this as a positive response to all the feedback he'd been publicly given in a not so constructive manner.

Just thought I'd share that.

You sure about that :wink:

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #8,504 of 10,317
That was my personal experience, yes.Hopefully it has become more of a trend as I've been using them since I got them. I've been absent from lurking here for the last few months so I wouldn't really know. I can just recall some of the ranting I read from a few people. I can understand anger and frustration when something you pay for is not ready when it was supposed to be, but to personally attack someone on a hugely popular public forum...Well, I guess I all I can say about that is its probably not how I would choose to react.

As for the gear, I'm not an impulse buyer but I do tend to buy new gear often and I tend to go for the high end; so sure, I've been tempted to try other cables. But every time I begin to look I always find myself about to press the order button on some crazy super expensive cable that would literally school me about the law of diminishing returns like a hard right hook. But when I plug in a pair of my LCD-2 or 3's (the SP's I have are terminated for HE-560 and the LCD's) and remember just how satisfied I already am.

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #8,505 of 10,317
  I bought the toxic cables hybrid silver/copper Virus headphone cable for my Audeze LCD 3. It was delivered promptly following helpful dialogue with Frank.

After sustained listening and comparisons with the stock cable I can report my personal impressions:

Treble is brighter, but mids and bass are constrained (a noticeable reduction of extension) and very much drier. The treble emphasis gives the impression of a slightly wider and higher soundstage but I believe this to be the audible effect of brightness, not a true expansion of soundstage. The price for this is an overly dry and hard sound, with a loss of clarity, imaging and the essential organic and detailed quality in the mid range and bass which so characterise the LCD 3. It is less composed in sound presentation than the stock cable which is, in my opinion, far superior. The hybrid does not, in my opinion, do justice to the LCD3.

I recognise that this is counter to others' experience (which prompted me to purchase the cable in the first place), but these are my genuine impressions.

Unfortunately, Frank will not accept a return on the basis that this was a custom cable.

I left the above review a week ago and then, following a number of posts, promised frank that, if I did not sell them, I would do a further review after "burn in". They have been in use playing CDs and Radio 6 music for the whole period since. I have listened to them for at least 2 hours a day whilst the process has been ongoing. My final comparisons this morning lead me to the following and genuine view. The cables are noticeably less "brittle" and smoother. But the sound remains also noticeably drier than the stock cable and has less presence in the midrange and bass and still detracts from the organic quality of the LCD3s. It may be a question of personal preference, but there it is. If anyone would like to purchase them please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back