Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 27, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #8,131 of 10,312
  As you mention your concern is the treble, I would suggest a copper cable for the HD800s. Frank's copper cables are not "slow" sounding in my experience and quite the opposite. They are also detailed. Which is a really great thing. But they do help a bit with the inherent treble harshness of the HD800s.

I also suggest you complement that with one of the available HD800s mods out there, as they can help reduce the ringing and distortion the stock HD800s have.

Thank you, but you see... that is the thing. I have applied some damping foam to lessen the issue. 
My safe bet would be the Black Widow I think. Nevertheless does the majority here highly appreciate the SW and even say it takes away some harshness. 

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #8,132 of 10,312
Apr 27, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #8,133 of 10,312

Thank you, but you see... that is the thing. I have applied some damping foam to lessen the issue. 
My safe bet would be the Black Widow I think. Nevertheless does the majority here highly appreciate the SW and even say it takes away some harshness. 

Be careful if it's the Anax 2.0 foam - it kills some of the good traits of the HD800s, such as transients attack and speed, and clarity.

With the HD800s, I personally prefer the copper cables to SW24, but I have not heard the SW22 with the 800s. The latter could be very good - I really like it on my LCD-3Fs. How your system sounds is very important - if it's verging towards warm sounding and you want to keep it that way, I don't see why any Silver Widows won't be a good idea. If you have other headphones and prefer a more neutral downstream, then I would shift my recommendation back to copper for the HD800s.

You should try to drop your requirement for "lighter" than stock. Why - because I think thicker usually sounds better. Besides purity, one of the reason many cables are a vast improvement over the stock ones, is that the latter are ridiculously thin, which isn't ideal.

To compromise towards "lighter" don't buy or remove the Y splitter.

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #8,134 of 10,312
I think there is a lot to try out foam-wise. I am honestly not entirely sure which foam I have but let us please not talk about the HD800 in particular as it would be OT. 

Yeah, I do understand that and as long as comfort is no issue, I don't mind. 
SW, BW... I have a feeling that by the end of this year I am gonna end up having both

Edit: if it makes sense, I am eager to try out audezes LCD3 and X as I wanna have another option for a more relaxed and richer approach. For the meantime, that isn't going to happen though. 

Edit: 
 With the HD800s, I personally prefer the copper cables to SW24, but I have not heard the SW22 with the 800s. The latter could be very good - I really like it on my LCD-3Fs.

Your copper are 22s? Yeah, by how many people like the SW with their Audeze cans it doesn't surprise me at all. Thank you

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #8,135 of 10,312
  I think there is a lot to try out foam-wise. I am honestly not entirely sure which foam I have but let us please not talk about the HD800 in particular as it would be OT. 

Yeah, I do understand that and as long as comfort is no issue, I don't mind. 
SW, BW... I have a feeling that by the end of this year I am gonna end up having both

Edit: if it makes sense, I am eager to try out audezes LCD3 and X as I wanna have another option for a more relaxed and richer approach. For the meantime, that isn't going to happen though. 

Edit: 
Your copper are 22s? Yeah, by how many people like the SW with their Audeze cans it doesn't surprise me at all. Thank you

You may be surprised that more than a few of us actually did order multiple cables. One thing that's for certain as long as wait times are long, they will shift at little to no loss if you prefer one or the other.  You might end up liking both. Not exactly unheard of. I am in this situation with some other headphones and Frank's cables.

Yes, I am familiar with Black Widows 22s and Scorpion. As well as the thinner SW for the HD800s.

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #8,136 of 10,312
Well, I see. I am going for the 22BW first then and am gonna see for myself how I like it before I go for the 22SWs. If there is no real difference between 22 and 24BWs, I tend to go for the black sleeve. Think that is reasonable.

Don't know anyone local here who is into this stuff unfortunately. So yeah, thanks for sharing.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #8,137 of 10,312
Hi,

I am a bit lost. I am looking for a place where I can get information on what aftermarket balanced cables there are available from Toxic Cables for Audeze LCD headphones, what all the connector, sleeving, splitter options there are etc.. Is there a page where this info is available? Or could I just ask here for what you good people would recommend?

My current set-up is:

rMBP > iFi Micro iDSD > Violectric V281 > Audeze LCD-2r2

I am in the market for a new DAC (interested in the iFi Pro) and will probably add a pair of LCD-3f after I fell for them at the Bristol show. I listen to all types of music, especially electronic music (but not much classical...ok, no classical).

So can anyone point me to where I can find what options Frank has available, or would anyone like to suggest some tried and trusted options for a balanced cable for my Audezes? P.S. I'm aware of the long lead time.
Cheers!
Rich

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #8,138 of 10,312
So can anyone point me to where I can find what options Frank has available, or would anyone like to suggest some tried and trusted options for a balanced cable for my Audezes? P.S. I'm aware of the long lead time.
Cheers!
Rich

If it comes to a pricing choice, focus on the best cable you can get. I would suggest the SW22 for the 3Fs - that's what I am using myself. Don't worry too much about the connectors. I think Frank offers Furutech Audeze connectors that are not too expensive. In terms of plugs I think for the SW22 he uses as standard his fancy carbon plug.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #8,140 of 10,312
hmm...i guess gold-plated silver poison is a rarity even on here...

Hey new toxican,
As no one is replying on ur question i will try to answer it...first of all..u can find a comparsion between the sw22, the silver poison (with 1%gold) and the virus a gew pages back...i posted it..
Second...the silver poison is in two tastes...the 26awg and the very expensive 18awg..both with max 1% gold IN THEM..AS FAR I KNOW THEY ARE NOT GOLDPLATED..i never heard of goldplated silver headphone cables anyway (u do have goldplated connectors) .which one are u referring to in ur question?

Third..the silver poison is not as expensive as the SW22.. The 26awg is cheap to get :wink:

Soooo..i hope i answered ur questions here..

Have fun on this thread

And the guys owning a silver poison...pls..help this guy out with some tips :p

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #8,142 of 10,312
  Hi guys, I'd like to share with you the all new gold plated sp! I believe i'm the lucky guy who get my hands on it first
biggrin.gif

It is absolutely GORGEOUS! The first time I took this baby out, my jaw just dropped, and after had the biggest smile on my face ever!!! Magnificent cable, possibly an art
beerchug.gif

Now, I already owned the Whiplash version of the gold plated silver cable (twau reference). The toxic version puts it into shame... picture will tell the story:

(left is whiplash, right is toxic)

as you can see, BIG difference!

Ok, back to listening
beyersmile.png
I will do a comparison very soon between the whiplash, toxic, and the toxic sw!!!

First of all thank you for all the replies...
What I am referring to is this cable up above. The gold-plated silver poison, not the original one and definitely different from a silver widow

not that I haven't done my homework and still mix up silver poison and silver widow
beerchug.gif

Plus there are actually more than one gold-plated cables out there as far as I know...

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #8,143 of 10,312

​
We now have the Official EL-8 connectors in stock thanks to the guys/gals at Audez'e and have the go ahead to start taking orders
 ​
We are the first to get them
 ​
Get your orders in, have a look at my profile for the full list of cables available for your EL-8 headphones and the largest wire choice of any headphone cable manufacturer

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #8,144 of 10,312
First of all thank you for all the replies...
What I am referring to is this cable up above. The gold-plated silver poison, not the original one and definitely different from a silver widow

not that I haven't done my homework and still mix up silver poison and silver widow:beerchug:  

Plus there are actually more than one gold-plated cables out there as far as I know...another company that starts with a "W" and one manufacturer in Taiwan also make those
my friend.. I know u are in need of info.. And maybe angelsblood can provide u with some.. Maybe u can pm him?

About mentioning other brands on this thread.. Pls dont.. Its not alllowed ss this is a appreciation thread.. Dont get me wrong i did same thing once i needed info.. And another nice guy said same thing to me.. Pls delete u mentioning the other brands. Thanks my fellow future toxican.

May 1, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #8,145 of 10,312
I just received my Siver Poisons for my LCD 2's. They arrived in about 1 1/2 months are were worth the wait. (Not long, actually) I am somewhat new to headphones but I can tell an improvement over the stock cables.

I was sceptical about cables making a difference but these take the LCD's to a higher level.

Plus, these are just BEAUTIFUL!

Frank sent me a note when they were shipped. I do appreciate his not spending a whole lot of time detailing his (my order) progress, putting his time in to making a great product for a great price.

Right out of the gate they were much more open on the high end and the bass was tight and musical. I don't know about the "break in" for cables theory but I'll be interested in seeing if they (or my ears) will improve over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back