Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Aug 30, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #7,171 of 10,312
Wildcatsare1,

These are only my initial impressions as I have had only two days to listen to these cables:

You are quite safe with the HE-560.  Unlike the HE-500 and the HE-6, the HE-560 does not seem to be too fussy when it comes to cables.

I covered the full range of the spectrum, from the Copper Venom (OCC Copper) to the Silver Poison (OCC Silver) and Silver Widow (OCC litz silver) and there are much smaller differences between these wires on the HE-560 than on the HE-6.

The main differences are:  the OCC copper is a little warmer with more depth and bigger (slightly ripe) bass impact; the OCC silver is slightly lighter with more details, with wider sound-stage and tighter bass with slightly less impact. The Voicing of the HE-560 does not change much.  No problems with sibilance in all cases.  One issue:  I was not able to completely remove a slight hardness or stridency (especially in the top range of female voice) with all cables, though I have tried only three amps so far (Vioelectric V181, Bakoon HPA-21 and HeadAmp GS-X Mk2 with Oppo 105 SACD/DAC) none of them tubes. I think this is the family sound-issue that the HE-560 share with the HR-500 and HE-6.  But it is a small issue that will not bother most people--I just happen to be super sensitive to that frequency range (overtones for female voices and violins)

For this quick listening session, I would say that you are quite safe to try most of Frank's cables from OCC copper to silver-clad copper to OCC standed silver and OCC litz silver.  And the sound would be between the Copper Venom (warmer with more depth, slight bass bloom with more impact) on one end and the Silver Widow (more details, with wider SS and tigther bass with reduced impact) on the other. Now, these differences are small in the case of the HE-560 so I think, once again, your are quite safe no matter what you decide.

I,promised myself not to,post anymore as i wanna concentrate on some things to come..but in this case i want to make a exception..but it looks like u want a bit help..so maybe this advice can help u :wink:

my friend..the hardness and stridency i am also very sensitive to..until now the only remedy for that i thought was a good tube amp..but i now found out also ss amps can do the trick without the mishaps most tubeamps have in their soundsignature and the things we so love in ss amps... I dont know whats ur budget..but a bakoon amp is rather expensive for most of us..so i could advice u to contact the maker of my amp (see my review) ... As the he500 and my code-x (a heavily modded he-5) dont even have a hint to harsch treble extension, the violins and especially harps or triangles sound without any ringing... As those 'vibrations' give me a headache if i listen to long to those kind of things....as my hearing is a bit to sensitive..

So..am not trying to sell u stuff..if ur in the market for a new amp..contact them..and they attend lots of audio exposes..so maybe u could attend one on which they are also..u have nothing to loose and everything to win if u want a balanced sound without that thingie...but be prepared to wait around 8months and to have at least 200hrs burn in time :p

Now i go back to lurking mode

Have fun guys!

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #7,172 of 10,312
I,promised myself not to,post anymore as i wanna concentrate on some things to come..but in this case i want to make a exception..but it looks like u want a bit help..so maybe this advice can help u :wink:

my friend..the hardness and stridency i am also very sensitive to..until now the only remedy for that i thought was a good tube amp..but i now found out also ss amps can do the trick without the mishaps most tubeamps have in their soundsignature and the things we so love in ss amps... I dont know whats ur budget..but a bakoon amp is rather expensive for most of us..so i could advice u to contact the maker of my amp (see my review) ... As the he500 and my code-x (a heavily modded he-5) dont even have a hint to harsch treble extension, the violins and especially harps or triangles sound without any ringing... As those 'vibrations' give me a headache if i listen to long to those kind of things....as my hearing is a bit to sensitive..

So..am not trying to sell u stuff..if ur in the market for a new amp..contact them..and they attend lots of audio exposes..so maybe u could attend one on which they are also..u have nothing to loose and everything to win if u want a balanced sound without that thingie...but be prepared to wait around 8months and to have at least 200hrs burn in time :p

Now i go back to lurking mode

Have fun guys!

Paulo,

Thank you, my Friend, I will check them out, I appreciate you coming out of "lurking" mode and your advice. Have heard good things about Bakoon Amps, Justin_Time also has one, I believe. Cheers!!!:beers:

Sep 1, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #7,173 of 10,312
Paulo ......Lurking????? Hey you posted at least 6000 out of the 7000 plus threads on here........Lurking.......
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #7,175 of 10,312
  I meant Posts not threads.......Now i am going back to lurking mode.....
ph34r.gif

Paulo gets to count 18 hour non posting gaps as lurking.....
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 1, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #7,176 of 10,312
Sep 6, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #7,178 of 10,312
Hi anyone know the difference between a normal cable and a fitear one? What does fitear means?

It means it's terminated for use with Fitear iems, both universal and customs. :)

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #7,179 of 10,312
  Hi anyone know the difference between a normal cable and a fitear one? What does fitear means?

Fitear connections are unique to iems.  The posts are very much like the Senn HD6XX posts, rather than the standard narrower two pin connectors.   In fact, if you reverse the connector, you can use the same cable with both Fitear and the Senn headphones (if you wanted to).

Sep 7, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #7,181 of 10,312
Sep 14, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #7,184 of 10,312
Does anyone know if Jerry Harvey has released the terminations to Frank for the Roxanne's? That is my next cable and I badly want Frank to create one...

Sep 14, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #7,185 of 10,312
Hi all,

Frank has just touched base and wants to remind everyone he is back in a couple of weeks.  Where has the time gone.

I am about to put out an e-mail to everyone offering the free postage until next Friday the 19th September on orders over £150.  

But wanted to give everyone here first chance to get orders in.

beyersmile.png

@SMBuscemi Not as far as I know but will ask next time I get a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back