Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 15, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #6,766 of 10,312
Hey nigel..i see u use ONLY silver widow on ALL ur phones..ever tried a 8wire BW..thats pricewise in the same league as ur 4wire SW..i ask u this as i once had a 4wire BW..and although it was good it was nothing super to talk about..but when i switched over to th cable i have now (8wire) i found out how good a copper cable cable can be with my higher end rig i now have...any brighter soundsignature would just be to much..i checked it with a couple of friends who ,in my opinion, have real golden ears, and they all agreed that my rig sounded pretty natural..more treble would just be overkill...maybe the SW would show more detail...could be..but for the whole listening expererience..the Bw 8wire or the copper venom (8wire or the RC4 4 wire) should be the right match with brighter phones...ofcourse its all personal..some people prefer a brighter soundsignature..or ur ears are just less sensitive to treble..in that case a brighter silver cable could be ur thing..but in the end..its all personal...
But i actually know at least one person with very very high quality stuff who has Almost all TOTL cables frank makes (kiats and sensui)..the BW and Sw and the venom and if i am not mistaken some hybrids also..and they agree with me..if u do a comparision on the hd800.. The BW 8wire or the copper venom could be a very good choice over the SW..unless u like a brighter soundsignature..i heard 2 silver cables in the past compared to my 8wire BW and for me the BW gave just more heart to the music..it did show a little bit less detail..but the music sounded like music..it was flowing... To my ears anyway..i asked frank to borrow me a SW to compare it to my Bw and the venom i am getting...to do a little comparision on my amp..that would be very interesting...

I will ask frank again if he has one SW laying around for me to use it as comparision... I am not choosing camps here my friends..we all love franks cables... And he makes one of the most wonderful cables on this world..everyone can be helped with any wish he has soundwise...

Longbowbbs..pity u live so far..i would love to compare my cables to urs..and in the proces make u buy a He5 second hand and let him being transformed by LFF into a code-x..as the more i listen to my phone the more i get a feeling it would be perfect for ur carly 80!

And guys..we are just discussing opinions right? We all believe no matter which cable frank makes it for sure is one of the better cables in its pricerange..right?
wink.gif

Ps..am now listening to the soundtrack of beowulf in lossless (yep again)...OMG...the lows...the plcement of intruments..the soundstage...u can pinpoint almost every single instrument...the music vibrates as if they are playing live in front of u.... U have to hear it to believe it.. And the code-x is in a big way responsible for this... Really guys..get urself a RARE second hand HE5 (if u can get one!) and sent it to LFF to transform it into maybe one of the most musical sounding phones existing now...u wont regret it!

And nigel..just saw the game..am really sorry u guys lost..i was hoping ur team would win! Well..u still have 2games to play to make it right! So kick some butt
wink.gif

Unfortunately I have not listened to any other aftermarket cable on the HD800's.
I would love to listen to the BW or other quality copper  cable but I generally prefer silver and loved my first Toxic cable (Silver Poison) on my HE-6's so I stuck with silver.
I don't consider the HD800's as bright with the SW. The treble is very extended but smooth and there is plenty of tight deep bass and excellent midrange.
The SW may be brighter than the BW but I would call this just more extended up high rather than more emphasized.
I have been very interested in the Venom ( Franks best Copper cable if I am not mistaken, although I do lose track! ).

Yeah disappointed with the Italy result but I thought the performance was good, at least compared to our normal level. However I am looking ahead as this is a young England team with a whole new defense and some good young players coming through.
After the Costa Rica result the group is still wide open and if we can improve and get a result against Uruguay  anything can happen.

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #6,767 of 10,312
Unfortunately I have not listened to any other aftermarket cable on the HD800's.
I would love to listen to the BW or other quality copper  cable but I generally prefer silver and loved my first Toxic cable (Silver Poison) on my HE-6's so I stuck with silver.
I don't consider the HD800's as bright with the SW. The treble is very extended but smooth and there is plenty of tight deep bass and excellent midrange.
The SW may be brighter than the BW but I would call this just more extended up high rather than more emphasized.
I have been very interested in the Venom ( Franks best Copper cable if I am not mistaken, although I do lose track! ).

Yeah disappointed with the Italy result but I thought the performance was good, at least compared to our normal level. However I am looking ahead as this is a young England team with a whole new defense and some good young players coming through.
After the Costa Rica result the group is still wide open and if we can improve and get a result against Uruguay  anything can happen.
about the venom..u have three versions as far i know now:
venom: 18awg 8wire solid retangular silver wire
Copper venom rc-4: 18awg 4wire solid retangular copper wire
Copper venom: 18awg 8wire solid retangular copper wire

And latest news: franks is soon coming up with some new versions of the venom..more affordable versions :wink:

About UK...yeah..i think that if ur team put some extra effort..they could go to the quarter finals.

For ur info..the BW i have doesnt lack in extended treble..a first to me for a copper cable!

So frank maybe, when my new venom is ready to be sent next month, u could include a (used)demo SW to make some honest comparisions between my BW, the new Venom and the SW, on my amp and headphone for the toxic community? :wink:

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #6,768 of 10,312
about the venom..u have three versions as far i know now:
venom: 18awg 8wire solid retangular silver wire
Copper venom rc-4: 18awg 4wire solid retangular copper wire
Copper venom: 18awg 8wire solid retangular copper wire

And latest news: franks is soon coming up with some new versions of the venom..more affordable versions
wink.gif

About UK...yeah..i think that if ur team put some extra effort..they could go to the quarter finals.

For ur info..the BW i have doesnt lack in extended treble..a first to me for a copper cable!

So frank maybe, when my new venom is ready to be sent next month, u could include a (used)demo SW to make some honest comparisions between my BW, the new Venom and the SW, on my amp and headphone for the toxic community?
wink.gif

Nice to hear that the BW does not lack in the highs, certainly sounds like an interesting cable.
How would you describe the differences between the Venom's and the BW.

Interesting news about the new Venom cables, which one are you waiting for?

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #6,769 of 10,312
Nice to hear that the BW does not lack in the highs, certainly sounds like an interesting cable.
How would you describe the differences between the Venom's and the BW.

Interesting news about the new Venom cables, which one are you waiting for?

I dont have my new venom yet..according to the last mail of frank it will be ready around middle of next month or so :wink: so i cant answer ur question..but KIATS (and sensui if i am not mistaken) can..he has both the BW (4wire), the copper venom rc4 and the SW as far i know :wink:

My cable will, AGAIN (like the BW i have now), be a one off.... I will be the first (if its technically possible frank told me) to get a dual mono 8wire balanced 18awg copper venom..its never done before for a hifiman headphone...
Hope he manages it..my Bw was also sort of an experiment..so u can say i am a sort of a gunui pig fo him..but i dont mind :D

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #6,771 of 10,312
Guys i am looking for a cable for my hd800 and i was wondering which cable would you guys recommend, i dont want the cable to reduce the highs though or make the hd800 sound warmer. Thanks

U can go both ways..the natural sounding copper venom rc4 (or a 22awg 8wire BW) or the more brighter SW (8wire or 4wire).. Its all about what u want and how high ur budget is...the SW is the master of details. :wink:

Jun 15, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #6,772 of 10,312
hello all. Recently purchased Senn 650's and currently using Cardas cable-- a noticeable improvement.
I had considered (but haven't tried) Moon-Audio silver dragon, Zu Mobius 2, and looked at various independent cable offerings...
then came across this thread, skimmed through most (but not all) posts. 450+ pages was too daunting.
From what I gathered so far, sounds like the Silver Widow may be what I would like to try as an upgrade to the Cardas (intrigued by the gold), but could use a bit of help from the experienced cable guys here who have actually auditioned and compared first-hand.

I'm neither a bass nor detail freak... looking for well-balanced overall improvement from the Cardas:  better/tighter bass, wider deeper stage, better separation and extended highs without fatigue...

Other questions:
-Is the Silver Widow noticeably better than the Silver Poison?  I also don't see Silver Widow listed on Toxic site unless it's a special order item. 
-are there DIY kit options from Toxic?  (and would that save much $ and/or wait time?)
-is there also an 8-wire all copper offering from Toxic for the Senn 650's?  I'm still apprehensive with my experience with silver (the typical thin/bright signature) but I do tend to like gold in the mix, at least when it comes to interconnects.

Any helpful input would be much appreciated.  Thank you!

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #6,773 of 10,312
Everything hifimanrookie says about the copper venom is true....it is a really great match for the HD800.  To maximize the HD800 as best as possible you really need to fine tune your setup for the entire chain....DAC, amp, interconnect, cable.  But once you do things right and get close...you will know immediately because your HD800 will sound like something you've never heard before.  Prior to redoing my setup coming from Schiit gear....I couldn't even listen to the HD800's....just unbearable and too brutally revealing and fatigues my listening far too quickly.  I know Frank's cables make a difference since I experienced these subtle changes with the Silver Poison and Widow prior to having the copper venom but after having the copper venoms....I concluded the question that kept biting at the back of my mind....are cables just placebo in my mind or do they really make a difference.  The difference with the copper venom was very dramatic and instantly helped tame the HD800 toward a more natural tone....still maintaining the details yet smoothing things over.  And after changing my gear in terms of the amp and dac.....things just took off and I couldn't stop listening to the HD800 for a long time after being stored in my closet for over a year since I couldn't even think of touching it.....LCD-3 was my go to.

I just picked up a pair of LCD-X and am thinking about which cable to go with it.  Need to consult Frank after I listen to it a bit more with my Silver Widow to see how I feel about it.  You'll be hearing from me again Frank.  =)

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #6,774 of 10,312

I just picked up a pair of LCD-X and am thinking about which cable to go with it.  Need to consult Frank after I listen to it a bit more with my Silver Widow to see how I feel about it.  You'll be hearing from me again Frank.  =)

I am using SW with my LCD-X and they are really perfect matches.  May be Silver Venom would out perform SW but it would be too much for my pocket 
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #6,775 of 10,312
Silver widow is a huge improvment to lcd2.2 as well
Of course!
Fast strong bass and open in the treble
To not speak about the soundstage..
I would like to go for LCD x but rlcd2 sounds so good right now!
I had hd650, Sw should be a very good match.. I guess, it depend even which amp/dac you are using..
I was very happy with the graham solo srgII, more than with the ulde in some ways..
But you gonna buy a cable that cost like the headphones..
Some friends are very happy and say that go balanced open very much the hd650

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #6,776 of 10,312
U can go both ways..the natural sounding copper venom rc4 (or a 22awg 8wire BW) or the more brighter SW (8wire or 4wire).. Its all about what u want and how high ur budget is...the SW is the master of details. :wink:

Hifimanrookie is right. You can go wrong with either: the SW is like a microscope into your music while the BW is like putting on rose tinted glasses. Both very enjoyable, but different.
Of course if you want the best of both worlds, there's always the Virus. :)

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #6,777 of 10,312
Some of the cables I saw here are not on the toxic website. Does that mean they are out of stock?

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #6,778 of 10,312
  Some of the cables I saw here are not on the toxic website. Does that mean they are out of stock?

Nope. The website is not congruent with what's in stock, unfortunately. Check Franks profile for all the options.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #6,779 of 10,312

Frank is too busy in making cables and he has no time to update his web page 
biggrin.gif
.  Look at Frank's profile for all available cables and price.  Even though if you cannot find anything that suits you, you may PM Frank and tell him exactly what you want. Then Frank can surely make one for you 
wink.gif
.  He can do anything on cables.

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #6,780 of 10,312
A HD 800 cable comparison: http://headmania.org/2014/06/18/aftermarket-cables-for-sennheiser-hd800/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back