Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 23, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #6,946 of 10,312
[
Sorry for sounding silly a bit..BUT..whats 'OM'???

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #6,947 of 10,312
Which IEM cable that Frank sells is the best for a bass heavy IEM?

Well, it does depend on what you hope to achieve?

To maintain the same sig, try the BW.

To tighten up the bass & have more transparency, the SW.

To do a bit of both: maintain the sig while tighten up the bass, then the Virus.

I have all 3 so I can switch around depending on what I hope to achieve. :)

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #6,948 of 10,312
Well, it does depend on what you hope to achieve?

To maintain the same sig, try the BW.

To tighten up the bass & have more transparency, the SW.

To do a bit of both: maintain the sig while tighten up the bass, then the Virus.

I have all 3 so I can switch around depending on what I hope to achieve.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!  The virus or sw sound good.  I had the sw briefly, but it wasn't on a bass heavy headphone.  I guess I should try the virus.  The cable will probably cost more than the IEM.  You have a great collection of headphones and accessories.  I like this hobby, just don't love it enough to go all out.  My car hobby is what really kills me and I hope it doesn't some day.  I've had some close calls on the track.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #6,949 of 10,312
Jul 23, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #6,950 of 10,312

Cool. 22AWG it is next month. I am going for the 4pin XLR, as that's the only Pulse fxi's only balanced headphone output option.

Next month?! If you want it ready for when the Pulse arrives, order it NOW! 

PS: I have a Pulse fXi coming too! :)   Considering recabling a TH900 to Virus/BW balanced 4 Pin XLR for it. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #6,952 of 10,312

Thanks!  The virus or sw sound good.  I had the sw briefly, but it wasn't on a bass heavy headphone.  I guess I should try the virus.  The cable will probably cost more than the IEM.  You have a great collection of headphones and accessories.  I like this hobby, just don't love it enough to go all out.  My car hobby is what really kills me and I hope it doesn't some day.  I've had some close calls on the track.

I see your T1s are still for sale. I have a T1 with some non Toxic hybrid cable and while it is great, it lacks bass even worse than the stock T1 (which already lacked bass). 

If I could do it again, I'd get a Black Widow for the T1. Given that you have a T1 that can take HD800 cable, maybe you can try it out? 

Maybe it would be a good idea to sell the Silver Widow separately as well. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #6,953 of 10,312

I see your T1s are still for sale. I have a T1 with some non Toxic hybrid cable and while it is great, it lacks bass even worse than the stock T1 (which already lacked bass). 

If I could do it again, I'd get a Black Widow for the T1. Given that you have a T1 that can take HD800 cable, maybe you can try it out? 

Maybe it would be a good idea to sell the Silver Widow separately as well. 

I have someone interested in it.  I'll know in a day or so if he'll pull the trigger on it.   I don't like separating the sale of the headphone and the cable.  Unless two people came to me and one wanted the cable and another only wanted the modded T1 then I'd do it.  Otherwise I rather sell it as a package.  I loved the thing, but like I've mentioned before I have bad neck issues so I lie in bed a lot and do most of my listening there so even though I'm downgrading, I do get to listen to music a lot more time wise which is more important to me in the end. 

I thought the bass was fine.  I love a lot of bass that is fast hitting and deep.  The T1 with toxic silver widow hits hard and fast, but not too deep to where it's annoying.  The IEM I'm using (jvc fx850) is really bass heavy but not sloppy and while I would like to keep 80% of it, I'm looking for a toxic cable to achieve this for me and to bring out a little more mids and highs but not too much.  I don't like too much treble.  I did consider getting a custom IEM done or spending a bit more for a high end IEM, but I really like the jvc fx850 a lot and I'm thinking a cable change could make it nearly perfect for me.  And if it doesn't, then there's other great IEM on the market that use the MMCX connector. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #6,954 of 10,312

I have someone interested in it.  I'll know in a day or so if he'll pull the trigger on it.   I don't like separating the sale of the headphone and the cable.  Unless two people came to me and one wanted the cable and another only wanted the modded T1 then I'd do it.  Otherwise I rather sell it as a package.  I loved the thing, but like I've mentioned before I have bad neck issues so I lie in bed a lot and do most of my listening there so even though I'm downgrading, I do get to listen to music a lot more time wise which is more important to me in the end. 

I thought the bass was fine.  I love a lot of bass that is fast hitting and deep.  The T1 with toxic silver widow hits hard and fast, but not too deep to where it's annoying.  The IEM I'm using (jvc fx850) is really bass heavy but not sloppy and while I would like to keep 80% of it, I'm looking for a toxic cable to achieve this for me and to bring out a little more mids and highs but not too much.  I don't like too much treble.  I did consider getting a custom IEM done or spending a bit more for a high end IEM, but I really like the jvc fx850 a lot and I'm thinking a cable change could make it nearly perfect for me.  And if it doesn't, then there's other great IEM on the market that use the MMCX connector. 

Nice. Good luck with that. If I didn't already have a re-cabled T1 I would have jumped all over that. 

In case you are interested, I am actually selling a UM Miracle right now for a very good price and it has a MMXC connector. I also have a good relationship with In Ear Custom so if you use them to reshell (and mention me) you should be able to get it for a really good price. 

I have a UM Merlin coming for myself and my girlfriend and I have a Black Widow and a Virus coming so that I can compare and see which one I prefer. My girlfriend will get whatever I don't want! Haha. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #6,955 of 10,312

Nice. Good luck with that. If I didn't already have a re-cabled T1 I would have jumped all over that. 

In case you are interested, I am actually selling a UM Miracle right now for a very good price and it has a MMXC connector. I also have a good relationship with In Ear Custom so if you use them to reshell (and mention me) you should be able to get it for a really good price. 

I have a UM Merlin coming for myself and my girlfriend and I have a Black Widow and a Virus coming so that I can compare and see which one I prefer. My girlfriend will get whatever I don't want! Haha. 

At least you don't have a girlfriend that wants an expensive sports car.  

Jul 24, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #6,956 of 10,312

At least you don't have a girlfriend that wants an expensive sports car.  

Just because she wants an expensive sports car doesn't mean she will get it, or has to get it from you.

Just sayin'! 
biggrin.gif

rolleyes.gif

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #6,957 of 10,312

Just because she wants an expensive sports car doesn't mean she will get it, or has to get it from you.

Just sayin'! 
biggrin.gif

rolleyes.gif

Well I hate it when she asks me to drive my car so I kinda want to get her one, but nothing close to mine or I'll have to sell off an investment property and if I did that, I might as well sell my current car and get something even better.

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #6,958 of 10,312
Well I hate it when she asks me to drive my car so I kinda want to get her one, but nothing close to mine or I'll have to sell off an investment property and if I did that, I might as well sell my current car and get something even better.

If she's going to be with you for the long haul and you know she's gonna be your soulmate and/or going to get married at some point for sure, then I could see being generous and purchasing her a vehicle as being okay, that is, only if she seriously does not have any way to purchase one on her own. Either way, if she is able-bodied and can work, I would have her save up and purchase a used car for not a lot of money, moolah, quid, etc., so she wouldn't have to ask me to drive my car. She would also learn how to work for things instead of asking me for the easy (read expensive) way out. For the record, I have never let my girlfriends drive my car(s), partly because the car(s) mean a lot to me, but more importantly, what are they going to do if they destroy my car(s)? I don't even want to fathom finding out. It's all about principal to me.

At least to talk about the cables, I bet the whole Toxic series are legit, as there are devote, satisfied, sometimes repeat customers. I'm currently in the process of demoing cables to find out which one will best (to my ears) improve the sonic spectrum of my Shure SE846.

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #6,959 of 10,312
If she's going to be with you for the long haul and you know she's gonna be your soulmate and/or going to get married at some point for sure, then I could see being generous and purchasing her a vehicle as being okay, that is, only if she seriously does not have any way to purchase one on her own. Either way, if she is able-bodied and can work, I would have her save up and purchase a used car for not a lot of money, moolah, quid, etc., so she wouldn't have to ask me to drive my car. She would also learn how to work for things instead of asking me for the easy (read expensive) way out. For the record, I have never let my girlfriends drive my car(s), partly because the car(s) mean a lot to me, but more importantly, what are they going to do if they destroy my car(s)? I don't even want to fathom finding out. It's all about principal to me.

At least to talk about the cables, I bet the whole Toxic series are legit, as there are devote, satisfied, sometimes repeat customers. I'm currently in the process of demoing cables to find out which one will best (to my ears) improve the sonic spectrum of my Shure SE846.

How do you like the SE846?  A friend of mine is a big shure fan and is considering getting one.  He currently has a 535 ltd ed.  He has never gotten into cables and I'm trying to get him to get one even if it's a lower budget cable.  I've had him demo a few headphones with different cables and he's debating about getting the SE846 or sticking with the SE535 and picking up a cable.  I wouldn't mind him getting a cable because the current earphone I'm looking for a cable for has the mmxc connector so we could swap them out and test them.  I've never had an earphone with an aftermarket cable, just headphones.

And as far as the girlfriend and the car goes, I was in a bad car accident 6 years ago (rear ended by a drunk driver) and surgery (2 level ACDF)  didn't help and I do real estate from home and do not make as much as I used to and I was going to use part of the settlement I received for a car for her.   I already have my mid life crisis dream car that I saved eight years for.  I hate when she drives it (not that often but I'm still scared)  even if it's to fill up gas or around our area.  I get paranoid because this car is a keeper unless I upgrade.   I took off work for 2 years right before (I was in really bad pain) and afterwards (rehab and I was one of the 5% that surgery didn't remove the pain) and I do think we will get marrried someday so I am considering putting 75% down on the car that she wants.  She also covers most of the expenses so I don't mind using a lot of the settlement on her plus she's the only girlfriend that truly loves my dog.  All other girlfriends were annoyed all of the time with my dog.  He's a really needy dog.

I think I'll pick up another silver widow.  I  just hope that the turnaround is a lot quicker this time.  The last time I bought the cable from Frank, he was starting to quicken production.   For those who have purchased a custom cable from Frank, how did it take to get to you?   I had considered cables from double helix and whiplash, but sometimes you have to stick with what you trust.

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #6,960 of 10,312

How do you like the SE846?  A friend of mine is a big shure fan and is considering getting one.  He currently has a 535 ltd ed.  He has never gotten into cables and I'm trying to get him to get one even if it's a lower budget cable.  I've had him demo a few headphones with different cables and he's debating about getting the SE846 or sticking with the SE535 and picking up a cable.  I wouldn't mind him getting a cable because the current earphone I'm looking for a cable for has the mmxc connector so we could swap them out and test them.  I've never had an earphone with an aftermarket cable, just headphones.

And as far as the girlfriend and the car goes, I was in a bad car accident 6 years ago (rear ended by a drunk driver) and surgery (2 level ACDF)  didn't help and I do real estate from home and do not make as much as I used to and I was going to use part of the settlement I received for a car for her.   I already have my mid life crisis dream car that I saved eight years for.  I hate when she drives it (not that often but I'm still scared)  even if it's to fill up gas or around our area.  I get paranoid because this car is a keeper unless I upgrade.   I took off work for 2 years right before (I was in really bad pain) and afterwards (rehab and I was one of the 5% that surgery didn't remove the pain) and I do think we will get marrried someday so I am considering putting 75% down on the car that she wants.  She also covers most of the expenses so I don't mind using a lot of the settlement on her plus she's the only girlfriend that truly loves my dog.  All other girlfriends were annoyed all of the time with my dog.  He's a really needy dog.

I think I'll pick up another silver widow.  I  just hope that the turnaround is a lot quicker this time.  The last time I bought the cable from Frank, he was starting to quicken production.   For those who have purchased a custom cable from Frank, how did it take to get to you?   I had considered cables from double helix and whiplash, but sometimes you have to stick with what you trust.

I love the SE846!  You should check out the Impressions Thread for the SE846.  It moves along at a speedy pace, but anything you want to know, there are 10 different opinions on each topic.  I love the bass, and the ability to have it custom with the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves works wonders for increased retention, fit, feel, isolation, and an elevated auditory experience.  As for cables, he really doesn't need it (yet), as he should be focused on finding the right earphone for himself first, and then worrying about the cable once he takes care of purchasing (or not) a dedicated DAP, and/or amp.  I'm going to get a cable because I know (at least currently) that I don't want a boutique DAP or amp that can't do everything my trusty iPhone 5 does.

Congrats on getting your mid life crisis dream car, I bet it was a satisfying achievement.  I would be afraid for my girlfriend to drive my car as well.  Well if she is the right one for you, and you want to be generous, I think that's great that she will get the car that she wants.  I know my fiance wants a Land Rover, but I told her that wasn't the best car company (I didn't write what I really told her, lol) and that she should get something that won't have numerous issues a few years down the road of owning the vehicle.  Compromise is always good in a relationship.  I am in a similar boat regarding dogs, because I don't want any pets because I'm allergic, and they can get quite dirty, but she really wants a dachshund (wiener dog).  I'll probably give in and get her one at some point.

It looks like recently the time that has taken members to receive theirs is around several months (the ones that have posted on here at least), but they most all seem to be very happy regarding the product.  Yeah, I'm still waiting for my Silver LItz cable (another company), and hopefully that one will be more than satisfactory to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back