Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 31, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #5,146 of 10,312
I have a technical question..allthough i know my cables..the end connectors are a bit of a mystery for me..

Question:
Whats, better soundwise and cablewise, the hifiman connectors or the mini xlr (3pins) connectors audeze uses?

Just being curious..lolz

Thanks!

I have experience with both type of connectors, and find the mini-xlr ones better. They allow for a true balanced connection and are very reliable - they only disconnect if you want to. It happened to me several times that a connector on my He-400 became loose just from regular listening session (cable twisting etc.).

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #5,148 of 10,312
Just ordered the HD800 Silver Poison 8ft sleeved with 4 Pin balanced Neutrik Gold Plated XLR connector.

I've always been a bit skeptical about the difference cables make so I really hope I can hear a difference. Headphones are mated to a HDVD 800 via stock cable at the moment.

Hopefully will know by Christmas......

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #5,149 of 10,312
Just ordered the HD800 Silver Poison 8ft sleeved with 4 Pin balanced Neutrik Gold Plated XLR connector.

I've always been a bit skeptical about the difference cables make so I really hope I can hear a difference. Headphones are mated to a HDVD 800 via stock cable at the moment.

Hopefully will know by Christmas......

A full silver cable for a hd800??? Ru sure u want that? The hd 800 is already as bright as it can be..so the sound could be a bit to much on the bright or colder side..

If u really want silver..get a silver widow (its treble is less because of the gold)... Or the virus (hybrid)... Or else get the excellent black widow..i can state from experience (got two already) that a brighter headphone (like he500 and hd800)could sound more balanced..but its only my take on this ofcourse....

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #5,150 of 10,312
Silver Poison also has gold from what I know.

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #5,151 of 10,312
Silver Poison also has gold from what I know.

Yes ur right.i said it incorrctly...but as far i understand somehow the silver widow sounds warmer..maybe more precentage of gold? And the price is also almost double.

Nov 3, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #5,153 of 10,312
Hi. Can anyone advise. When the cable is sent do you receive a dispatch notice? Thanks.

I also got SW with my HD800 and it doesn't sound bright at all.  Very detailed and more air when compare with Scorpion.

In the past the waiting time is about 14-18 weeks but I think since Frank has a new workshop and helpers the waiting time is now about 8 weeks or may be less.

Normally Frank will send a PM out when the cable is ready but sometime he is too busy that he might miss it out 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #5,154 of 10,312
Nov 4, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #5,156 of 10,312
A bit off the present topic but I purchased a silver poison from a fellow head-fier from the UK for my HD650s. I'd like to know why the splitter was changed twice?
It seems Frank started with the rectangular metal type then went with cylindrical carbon fiber (which is on the sleeved one I purchased) and then back to the rectangular version
confused.gif

Can anyone (preferably Frank) explain the reason for this. Also, I'd  like to know if there is any type of trade-in upgrade possible (ie silver poison -> widow) or would I have to sell the poison and buy a widow? I'm not sure I'd bother as the poison sounds great but it would be good to know for future reference (pun wasn't intended but I'll let it stand
wink.gif
).

These questions might have been addressed in the thread already but at 400 pages the information is difficult to track down.

Thanks for any knowledgeable replies.

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #5,158 of 10,312
  A bit off the present topic but I purchased a silver poison from a fellow head-fier from the UK for my HD650s. I'd like to know why the splitter was changed twice?
It seems Frank started with the rectangular metal type then went with cylindrical carbon fiber (which is on the sleeved one I purchased) and then back to the rectangular version
confused.gif

Can anyone (preferably Frank) explain the reason for this. Also, I'd  like to know if there is any type of trade-in upgrade possible (ie silver poison -> widow) or would I have to sell the poison and buy a widow? I'm not sure I'd bother as the poison sounds great but it would be good to know for future reference (pun wasn't intended but I'll let it stand
wink.gif
).

These questions might have been addressed in the thread already but at 400 pages the information is difficult to track down.

Thanks for any knowledgeable replies.

Frank started with a black cylindrical splitter for larger headphone cables. Later on he changed to custom Toxic Cables silver rectangular splitters, which come in two sizes, depending on the thickness of the cable. I don't know if he still uses the cylindrical ones, maybe he does it on demand for customers who don't like the rectangular shape.

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #5,159 of 10,312
Before the rectangular aluminium splitters, and after the big round ones, Frank was using the carbon fibre tubes for a short time as Y splitters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back