Totally insane quality for a totally insane price.....The Etymotic mc5 mini review.
Oct 11, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #211 of 318
I have a pair of Etymotic ER6i's that I use to run with. Or I did until one channel failed. I really loved them for running because the triple-flange ear pieces stayed in my ears with no trouble even after I would begin sweating. My Klipsch Custom 2's tend to begin sliding out of my ear when it gets sweaty. I also liked the filters in the Etymotics to protect against the sweat.

I was looking on Amazon to replace the ER6i's and noticed the MC5's were only $10 more than the ER6i and I wondered whether it was a better IEM. A reviewer on Amazon said he thought the MC5's sounded a bit better but they were larger and heavier than the ER6i's and didn't stay in his ears as well. So I'm wondering if I could get some opinions/recommendations on which one people think would be better for my purposes. One thing that has me leaning toward the MC5's a bit is the cables which allegedly are more durable than the cable on the ER6i's.

For a bit of background on my listening tastes, I wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but I do like to think I can tell bad from good and obviously don't mind spending up to about $100 for a good sounding set of ear phones. For most everyday listening, I prefer the Klipsch Custom 2s to the ER6i's. To me, they have a fuller sound and definitely a stronger bass. However, I had no problem w/the bass from the Etymotic's and always felt with a good seal it was sufficient if not booming.

Thanks in advance for any input to help me with this decision.

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #212 of 318
Ok,
I have totally changed my opinion on these IEMs. I Love them! So much detail and depth in the sound stage. I changed the ear tips to Comply TX 100s, this added more bottom end. I am also using a Ibasso D2 for amplification. I am having a problem with wind noise! I changed the ear tips from the large trip tips to the complys to try and lesson the problem. Has anybody else experienced this before? I have tried all different ways to wear the phones, but i am still getting the problem?

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #213 of 318
These Comply TX 100 tips are great.  They fit these Etys, the Ety 4P as well as the UM3X.  But the best part: the built in filters mean you aren't changing the Ety filters as often which can be a real pain if (1) you have large fingers and/or (2) you need glasses or a magnifying glass to see the Ety filters. Plus the Complys last forever and are very comfortable to wear.

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #214 of 318
I bought the MC5's because of the recommendations and I must say I'm pretty disappointed.

They've been run in for well over 30 hours and the bass is still almost non-existent. Doesn't matter whether its fitted with comfys, small or large triple pieces. I've used them in combination with Sansa Fuze v1 (Rockboxed (+7db setting) and OF) and with the Sony NWZ-X1050. On Sony X you can use the "Clear BASS" at its highest setting at three and the bass is still noticeably less when comparing to the supplied Sony NC20 headphones at zero setting. I bought the MC5's as my v-Moda Vibes broke (I guess one of the speakers got loose) and the sound quality is much lower compared to them also. I guess the highs are ok on MC5, but the sound is very "thin". Far from "insane quality" for me. It might be because I have pretty small ear canals which are not very straight so I can't get the iems deep enough.

The good thing is that the MC5's are not as sensitive as the NC20's as there is no background his on my Sony X1050. Or maybe its the NC20 noise canceling that's hissing on the background...

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #215 of 318
Sorry to hear that, aaltomar. However, it is generally a bad decision to buy any Etymotic if bass (especially quantity wise) is a concern. Coming form V-moda, I can see why you find MC5 to lack bass. The general guideline is, you should match the sound signature of headphone to your own taste / preference. Some might find an IEM great because it matches what he/she is looking, and some, like you, might not like that particular sound signature. Hopefully you will have better luck in your next IEM.

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #216 of 318
You are right, if you cannot get the MC5s deep enough, you won't get much bass. I couldn't get much bass from my ER4s for the same reason. 

Quote:
I bought the MC5's because of the recommendations and I must say I'm pretty disappointed.

They've been run in for well over 30 hours and the bass is still almost non-existent. Doesn't matter whether its fitted with comfys, small or large triple pieces.

It might be because I have pretty small ear canals which are not very straight so I can't get the iems deep enough.

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #217 of 318
but for those of us who want musical accuracy, they're pretty neat little iems for the price.  Overall tonal range--bass mid and highs--are pretty well balanced.  Not as good as the ER4P, but you're not paying the price of the 4P either.

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #218 of 318

Quote:
but for those of us who want musical accuracy, they're pretty neat little iems for the price.  Overall tonal range--bass mid and highs--are pretty well balanced.  Not as good as the ER4P, but you're not paying the price of the 4P either.

I certainly never expected to get such accuracy and transparency at that price. Along with, FWIR, the RE0, I would say they represent a price/performance breakthrough in IEMs. Given the inherent fragility and short lifespan of IEMs, this is a very good thing. If I have to replace them in 2 or 3 years, it won't be painful.

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #219 of 318
short lifespan of IEM?? How so?  My Ety4P are almost from the original date of manufacture.  ONly thing I've had to replace is a cracked earpiece tube, which Ety did free about three years ago.  Don't know why you think they have short lifespans.  Not if you treat them well

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #220 of 318

Quote:
short lifespan of IEM?? How so?  My Ety4P are almost from the original date of manufacture.  ONly thing I've had to replace is a cracked earpiece tube, which Ety did free about three years ago.  Don't know why you think they have short lifespans.  Not if you treat them well

Yes, I've heard that the build quality of ER4s is something special, but it doesn't seem to be true of a lot of other IEMs from what I've heard. But I'll be delighted if my MC5s turn out to be that rugged! That would make them even more of a steal.

Oct 14, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #221 of 318
Well after 70 or so hours of burn in, plus usage in and around that, I have to say these IEM's are brilliant for the price. Good clean sound, there's bass but it doesn't ruin the balance. It's initial brightness and unevenness has given way to a damn good sound. It's not going to make you cream your jeans but I'd recommend it without doubt. A good pair to use while you save up for those ES5 or JH13's!
One thing for me, I struggled to get those flanges to fit properly. Painful to get in right, even the large size....

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #222 of 318
Well,  I had two IEM that broke within 2 years lifespan each.    Shure had left ear cable short and UE superfi 5's plastic housing had a crack and eventually felt apart, not to mention a cable issue plus plastic ear tube that cracked....

I think IEM should be build rugged, most of avg. users enjoys them on the road, doing activities.... I find myself rarely using the case they provide... who has time to take them off, put them in a case neatly while trying to get off the train?    

Frankly, I think the makers designed them to have a shorter lifespan, how else are they going to get you to replace them?    Most avg. consumers don't have a collection of IEM, they buy one pair and use that until its broken....

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #223 of 318
No offence, but whats that got to do with the MC5?

Quote:
Well,  I had two IEM that broke within 2 years lifespan each.    Shure had left ear cable short and UE superfi 5's plastic housing had a crack and eventually felt apart, not to mention a cable issue plus plastic ear tube that cracked....

I think IEM should be build rugged, most of avg. users enjoys them on the road, doing activities.... I find myself rarely using the case they provide... who has time to take them off, put them in a case neatly while trying to get off the train?    

Frankly, I think the makers designed them to have a shorter lifespan, how else are they going to get you to replace them?    Most avg. consumers don't have a collection of IEM, they buy one pair and use that until its broken....

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #225 of 318
I've made another step forward... I bought FiiO L1 cable for my E5. I used E5 with jack to jack cable with my Nano, the volume boost wasn't incredible, the sound wasn't so much cooler too... but now it's superb! Volume boost is really strong, quality of sound is much much better than offi Nano's!!! Now I like MC5 really much, not much bass, but treble & mids are stunning for the money! On the other hand SoundMAGIC PL50 have different sound, I wouldn't say bad at all... more bass, incredible mid, but treble is... let's say not so good! But PL50 are really easy to like for first times... it has nice sound signature, but it lack something (maybe the treble is that) so I use both headphones & switch them sometimes... both of them are gold for the money IMO!!! I recommend FiiO L1 & E5 for iPod Nano
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back