Totally insane quality for a totally insane price.....The Etymotic mc5 mini review.
Oct 6, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #196 of 318

well, the HF5s that I use are amazing and the HF2s are exactly the same but with iphone mic, so I would push you towards those....

Check out this great review: http://www.stereophile.com/headphones/etymotic_research_hf2_amp_hf5_in-ear_headphones/ 

Quote:
Ok right, just read through ALL 13 pages for the pros and cons of these little beauties.
I'm just coming off my SECOND pair of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5vi's. Both times they have lost all sound in the right earpiece (coincidentally where the microphone is located) and it has been down to lose/faulty/shoddy wiring at the point where the cable meets the jack.

Anyway I digress. I'm in the market for another heaphone + mic/remote of this budget and I was happy to hear about the release of the MC3/5s. My dilemma now is that amazon(.co.uk) is offering the HF2s at around about the same price as the MC3s. I was wondering if anyone could persuade be either way.

I know the HF2s are a little dated but they still possess the balanced armature driver designs over the MC3s moving coils. The MC3s claim to have their cables kevlar reinforced, which considering my previous experiences is a definite advantage, plus they have a wider range of included earpieces. I only have an iPhone 3G so unfortunately the extra volume controls on the MC3s may not work (correct me if I'm wrong).

Can anyone help?
Cheers!

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #197 of 318
The Shure Olives are very comfortable and have great isolation, however I found they sharpen up the treble a little too much, to the point of fatiguing my ears on certain music.  It makes sense in that the openings of the olives are much bigger than the triflange openings.  It may just be an issue of personal preference though.

Hearing how precise Etymotic is with their designs, I'm sure they tuned the sound of the MC/HF's to the triflanges, which I've found give a very smooth and easy to listen to sound.

Quote:
I know what you mean...it's painful getting those little blighters in sometimes. The Shure Olives fit my ears much better, i know it's been mentioned that one takes a hit SQ-wise with these. Getting the right side in without some pain is tricky, I'll keep persevering. Am bit used to customs now...

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #198 of 318

Quote:

Hearing how precise Etymotic is with their designs, I'm sure they tuned the sound of the MC/HF's to the triflanges, which I've found give a very smooth and easy to listen to sound.

You haven't heard the ER4P I take it.  
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #200 of 318
No, I haven't.  I was originally debating between the ER4P and the HF2 before going with the HF2.  Seems like the online feedback is split, with some people saying the ER's were better (but most only said slightly), while some other's preferring the HF2's.  In the end I really needed the convenience of the push button mic, so I went with the HF2's.

Do you mean that if I had heard the ER's, I wouldn't think the HF2's are smooth and easy to listen to?

Quote:
You haven't heard the ER4P I take it.  
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #201 of 318
I have both--ER4P and these.  No comparison whatsoever.  But then again, price points are totally different.  Using these guys for gardening, working on boats and  at the gym--places I don't want to take more expensive IEMs  For that, they're good enough

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #202 of 318

Quote:
No, I haven't.  I was originally debating between the ER4P and the HF2 before going with the HF2.  Seems like the online feedback is split, with some people saying the ER's were better (but most only said slightly), while some other's preferring the HF2's.  In the end I really needed the convenience of the push button mic, so I went with the HF2's.

Do you mean that if I had heard the ER's, I wouldn't think the HF2's are smooth and easy to listen to?

Yes, most likely.  Keep in mind though, I like the ER4S very much.  The ER4P is like telling Hersheys you like chocolate and they start chucking candy bars at your head.

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #203 of 318

Quote:
Yes, most likely.  Keep in mind though, I like the ER4S very much.  The ER4P is like telling Hersheys you like chocolate and they start chucking candy bars at your head.

I had a date like that once. Except it wasn't chocolate.

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #204 of 318
Oct 8, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #205 of 318
Hey All,
I keep changing my mind about the way I feel about these IEMs. At first I thought they were way to bright, but I think I am starting to appreciate the mid's and High's these cans deliver. I am used to Monster Turbines, and also have Sen IE6's and Audeo's. I just wish they had a little more bottom end! Another thing I am noticing is how loud you have to crank your source to drive these things? Has anybody tried comply's with these?

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #206 of 318
Has anyone yet pared these with the Sony X-series player? Warm source should be good with these theoreticly.

Oct 9, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #207 of 318

Quote:

Thanks for the reply
smily_headphones1.gif

Anybody else have anything to add regarding MC3/5 vs HF2/5?

HFs are more effecient which means less distorrtion and longer battery life from your DAP.  Whem measured HFs should be slightly warmer and have a more extended top. HFs top has about a perfect balance. The overall sound is a just a hair smooth but not soft. Just not as etched as the very best.

Oct 10, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #208 of 318

Quote:

HFs are more effecient which means less distorrtion and longer battery life from your DAP.  Whem measured HFs should be slightly warmer and have a more extended top. HFs top has about a perfect balance. The overall sound is a just a hair smooth but not soft. Just not as etched as the very best.

Thanks heaps goodvibes! I wish the HF3s weren't so expensive, I'd go for them in a heartbeat. The HF2s are going relatively cheap on amazon but I've read some reviews that said they were sending the old models with the straight rather than the angled jack.

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #209 of 318

Quote:
Hey All,
I keep changing my mind about the way I feel about these IEMs. At first I thought they were way to bright, but I think I am starting to appreciate the mid's and High's these cans deliver. I am used to Monster Turbines, and also have Sen IE6's and Audeo's. I just wish they had a little more bottom end! Another thing I am noticing is how loud you have to crank your source to drive these things? Has anybody tried comply's with these?

Hey Maestro,

I can definitely vouch for the somewhat high degree of difficulty my sources have driving the mc5s. They were fine using my FiiO E7 or my udac-2 but coming straight out of my laptop, Blackberry, and 1st gen ipod nano they were unable to get to a decent volume level. I got my er-4p's fixed by Etymotic shortly after getting the mc5's and was surprised at the difference coming straight out of my ipod and even my laptop. The er-4p's were definitely much easier to drive. I gave the mc5's and the e7 to my Dad and kept the er-4p's (w/ 4s cable) and the udac-2 and couldn't be happier with the setup. When I want to be truly portable I use the nano and the 4p's. Much better combo than with the mc5's.

Oct 10, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #210 of 318
Neither my 3rd gen. iPod Nano nor my iMac have the slightest problem driving MC5s to very high levels (higher than I would ever listen at.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back