Total noob question....I'm allowed one, right?
Aug 5, 2010 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Warner

New Head-Fier
I apologize for asking this even before asking.....but I can't help it.  I have been out of high end audio for many years now, but remember stopping in one of those Bose stores at the mall last year and trying some of their headphones (they were around $200-$300 retail) and being VERY impressed with them.  Since then, and not really with them in mind at all, I ordered some of the JVC HA-RX700 headphones after hearing many, many good reviews of them (modded or not - and I'm not at all against modding mine once I get them).  Okay....on to the total noob question.  Can I expect these JVC headphones to sound as good or close to as good as the Bose ones did?   I was really impressed with the Bose ones...again, TOTAL noob here who listened to a probably decent set of headphones at Bose without any point of reference.

Opinions welcome guys...and thanks for tolerating such a question,

Warner

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 12
It's not a problem, you might just like the colored sound of Bose headphones. To be honest I think the JVC's will come close to the sound quality. I am thinking the advantage the extra $250 makes is the noise-cancelling. Now I own Audio Technica M50's ($100) and honestly they will blow away a Bose headphone. Now that is mine and many others opinions but it is your ears choice on saying what is the best sounding.

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 12
Well, Bose is not regarded as a good audio company here, for starters. So the responses you are going to get are going to be somewhat between the lines of "Bose sucks, you didn't listen to real headphones either way, so don't worry" and "Those JVC headphones are probably better than the Bose headphones at much less anyway." In my opinion, the sound from those JVC headphones (having never heard that specific pair) will probably not be considered "bad". Then again, people have their tastes for sound signatures. Whether you like a neutral sound, a bassy sound, or the clearest sound--most headphones do cater to those tastes, whereas the more expensive headphones (what's expensive to you may not be expensive to others in this hobby) tend to stick towards a more neutral sound signature.

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 12
A rather neanderthal approach, but: Using a powerful player with a heavy bass EQ, turn up the volume till the driver starts to flutter or distort... Then listen to the vocals... The amount to which you can still hear them clearly is a crude indicator of the driver quality I have found comparing the Beats Studio to the Bowers & Wilkins P5 and the Bose QC15... I used a Cowon S9.

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 12

I don't think they were looking for new headphones, just a comparison. Although I am sure they will upgrade in the future.
Quote:
I ordered some of the JVC HA-RX700 headphones after hearing many, many good reviews of them (modded or not - and I'm not at all against modding mine once I get them). 

Quote:
Bose and skullcandys seem to be severely disliked on these forums.

How about looking at Grados, Audio Technica or Sennheisers?

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks guys....yeah, I've poked around on here enough to know that Bose aren't really well liked by the general population here.  And I am SURE they are way overpriced.  I realize the $40 JVC's are way cheap....even to a noob like me.  And I have other hobbies where I spend way more money on things than others would seem practical (or even sane!).   So I'm not expecting the JVC's to set the world on fire, but to my inexperienced ears I'm hoping they impress me like the Bose ones did. (I THINK they were the Quiet Comfort 2 or 3's if I remember correctly). 

Thanks again,

Warner

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 12
i haven't heard the JVC headphones, but they have a good reputation on the forums.
i think they were just discontinued as well... so, they are likely to keep their value in the event that you don't like them and wish to sell them...
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/505018/jvc-rx700-discontinued

a very well-respected member of the forums (joker) wrote: "you get a ridiculous amount of headphone for your money with these".

so, basically the opposite of bose, where you get a ridiculously small amount of quality for your dollar.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/436015/official-jvc-ha-rx700-owner-s-appreciation-thread-only-unmodded-observations-please

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 12
Hahaha....great post.   Very witty.   That was pretty much my thought process when I ordered the JVC's.   I'm sure I won't be disappointed with them....and at $40 I don't really have the RIGHT to be TOO disappointed. 

Warner

Quote:
i haven't heard the JVC headphones, but they have a good reputation on the forums.
i think they were just discontinued as well... so, they are likely to keep their value in the event that you don't like them and wish to sell them...

a very well-respected member of the forums (joker) wrote: "you get a ridiculous amount of headphone for your money with these".

so, basically the opposite of bose, where you get a ridiculously small amount of quality for your dollar.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/436015/official-jvc-ha-rx700-owner-s-appreciation-thread-only-unmodded-observations-please

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:

Didn't know that they were discontinued! 
They are still on amazon, but at $10 more 
confused_face.gif

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Didn't know that they were discontinued! 
They are still on amazon, but at $10 more 
confused_face.gif

True...but with an estimated ship time of 1-2 MONTHS.  And the email response that I got from Amazon when I asked about my order led me to believe that they weren't certain they'd EVER get them in stock.  I had them on order for $34 including shipping, but panicked when I started to think they might never come in.   So I coughed up an extra $9 and ordered them from Newegg and cancelled my Amazon order.  They've already shipped and I'll have them (for sure!) on Monday.  It was worth the extra $9 to me to know that I would for sure have them.

Warner

Users who are viewing this thread

Back