Topping NX2 Portable DAC/Amp Impressions Thread
Jul 16, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #211 of 277
That's a good question. If the seller doesn't give you a solution or maybe a partial money back agreement, you should try the manufacture and see if it can be reaired. Can't think of any other solution.... good luck.

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #212 of 277
  That's a good question. If the seller doesn't give you a solution or maybe a partial money back agreement, you should try the manufacture and see if it can be reaired. Can't think of any other solution.... good luck.

If everything else fails it can probably be salvaged for parts for various DIY projects 
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #213 of 277
Guys, FWIW I just wanted to give some feedback 6 months into my NX2 ownership. While I initially wasnt that taken with the little guy - the DAC is no better than the onboard sound from my laptop and the amp isnt very powerful - this is a budget gem for all the reasons mentioned here and elsewhere. I use it with my Dragonfly Black and its fantastic with IEMs and over-ears alike.

The incredible battery life is still with me - I rarely have to charge the NX2 at all, unlike my phones/tablet/laptop - but what really blows me away is the things the amp does right esp given its modest price. Most portable amps suffer from two common problems - channel imbalance at low volumes and pots that become noisier over time, presumably courtesy of the dirt they pick up in normal use and abuse. I have no such issues with my NX2 - its quiet and completely predictable. Even the dreaded RF noise has rarely bothered me - YMMV.

Its difficult to recommend the NX2 when I know that most Head-Fiers will want a more powerful amp, but for the asking price my expectations have been exceeded. As with anything mass-produced and sold so cheaply, its possible that I just got lucky - as it stands, the NX2 has been as an unexpected bargain.

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #214 of 277
  Guys, FWIW I just wanted to give some feedback 6 months into my NX2 ownership. While I initially wasnt that taken with the little guy - the DAC is no better than the onboard sound from my laptop and the amp isnt very powerful - this is a budget gem for all the reasons mentioned here and elsewhere. I use it with my Dragonfly Black and its fantastic with IEMs and over-ears alike.

The incredible battery life is still with me - I rarely have to charge the NX2 at all, unlike my phones/tablet/laptop - but what really blows me away is the things the amp does right esp given its modest price. Most portable amps suffer from two common problems - channel imbalance at low volumes and pots that become noisier over time, presumably courtesy of the dirt they pick up in normal use and abuse. I have no such issues with my NX2 - its quiet and completely predictable. Even the dreaded RF noise has rarely bothered me - YMMV.

Its difficult to recommend the NX2 when I know that most Head-Fiers will want a more powerful amp, but for the asking price my expectations have been exceeded. As with anything mass-produced and sold so cheaply, its possible that I just got lucky - as it stands, the NX2 has been as an unexpected bargain.

Hi...

This might not be related to the Topping NX2 but it just might be useful to many of you guys. Its about the FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier. It's not portable but if your looking for your desktop a really good and under $80 DAC/AMP I would suggest this one. Of course it's not the "# one top rated" DAC on the market but it does a more than decent job for your money. And what do you have to say Estreeter on the subject?

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #215 of 277
I've owned several Fiio amps. including a desktop amp, and they've all given me good service. What has surprised me over the last few years is how quickly Fiio and iBasso moved from their very humble entry-level pricepoints up to the $250-300 arena and beyond - more power to them, but it makes the NX2 seem like even better value to me. Fiio still have several good products under 150USD but its clear from recent product announcements that they are aiming a lot higher.

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #216 of 277
  I've owned several Fiio amps. including a desktop amp, and they've all given me good service. What has surprised me over the last few years is how quickly Fiio and iBasso moved from their very humble entry-level pricepoints up to the $250-300 arena and beyond - more power to them, but it makes the NX2 seem like even better value to me. Fiio still have several good products under 150USD but its clear from recent product announcements that they are aiming a lot higher.

I agree...... FiOO has gone after the $$$ and maybe wants to start getting some appeal from the Audiophile clientele. Maybe there looking after the "poor man audiophile" market. How knows.... 

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #217 of 277
This has been a long great read. I'm going to pick one of these up. Been running Triple.fi10s with a C&C BK for a few years now. Can anyone out there offer comparison, e.g. anyone else own the NX2 that also has/had Triple.Fi10s and a BK (or BH)?

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #218 of 277
Well the NX2 arrived and it sounds great. Used as amp or dac both sound a bit more sterile and clinical compared to the C&C which has more headroom, air and tight thump - I prefer it, but I am used to it. The DAC portion a bit moreso overall of these qualities. I will say however that I got a bug in my arse and ran the NX2 DAC on my Lenovo Thinkpad and jumped the out over to the C&CBK running my TF10s and fired up some Spoon Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga... A bit unwieldy for me personally while walking around, but it may have been the best I've ever heard that album with those two in tandem. Is that nuts? Didn't seem nuts and certainly didn't sound nuts. :D Sounds great with MDR-7605s too, which the NX2 seemed to struggle a bit to power .... though that could just be it's signature reflected even more accurately in those cans. 
At any rate - cool little box for the money and then some.

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #221 of 277
So, basically you're describing as lacking power. Perhaps with some EQ I can compensate.

I'll be using it with a Fiio X3II and an Ipod Video 5.5g with rockbox and an Ipod tough 5g. Looking for pairing the NX2 with the Ipod(s) for driving the HD598. Perhaps the Fiio X3ii does not need it, but I'm curious.

One think I cannot stand is hissing. One think for the NX2 is I hope to correct the phone-out hiss of the Video 5.5g which is not quiet at all.

Anyone has some toughs to share ? 

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #222 of 277
  I'll be using it with a Fiio X3II and an Ipod Video 5.5g with rockbox and an Ipod tough 5g. Looking for pairing the NX2 with the Ipod(s) for driving the HD598. Perhaps the Fiio X3ii does not need it, but I'm curious.

One think I cannot stand is hissing. One think for the NX2 is I hope to correct the phone-out hiss of the Video 5.5g which is not quiet at all.

Anyone has some toughs to share ? 

You wouldn't necessary need it with FiiO X3, but it will certainly make quite an improvement to both iPods. But only if use it with the FiiO line out cable, which bypasses the internal amps. If you use line out, it will still get the hiss from it. 
https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L-Shaped-Line-Cable-iPhone/dp/B005N6ZAT2

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #224 of 277
Ok, I went ahead and got the NX2

The first impression is a little of mixed bag. Not very impressed I am.

The noise floor (HISS) from the amp alone can be clearly heard with the Zircons and some other IEMs. I guess the NX2 is not meant to be used with sensible iems after all. The amount of HISS is comparable (almost identical) to the one coming out of the Ipod Video 5.5g

So, sensible iem + NX2 is a no-no which is a pita as this means you cannot use it as a DAC with them. This is somewhat a show stopper for me. To get rid of the hiss, you need a can with about 32Ohm impedance. My old PX100-ii is a good example of such headphone.

Using a less sensible can (HD598) the hiss goes away. Good thing is the NX2 has plenty of power to drive them. I find myself keeping the volume knob between 2 and 2.5. Going up to 4 becomes uncomfortable.

When using the NX2 as analog amp for an Ipod Touch 5g you can feel there is more power. Bass is more present however it also tends to color the mid-bass region too. This is specially noticeable with acoustig guitars. In a word the music becomes more "melodic". Female voices appear unaltered. Highs are less detailed and less present.. Transients here "smudge" a little (specially cymbals). String instruments (ex. guitars and violins) become more smoothed.

Connecting the NX2 to a Fiio X3 2nd confirms the impressions with the Ipod. The bass overflows its boundaries and higs become less detailed. The power is there but marginally more than what the Fiio is able to put out by itself. I have not tried with really hard loads but there's no point using a $40 amp with a $500+ HP. Basically, the X3 is better alone with no NX2 behind.

Used as a DAC it is recognized in both Windows 10 and Mac OSX. No new drivers necessary. The hiss is still there, so you still cannot use iems. However, the sound becomes more neutral and less colorfull. I would say it becomes as it is supposed to be.

I guess I must say that "for the money" it is OK. Probably more than OK. It is small enough to be stashed in the headphone pouch and forget about it until needed :wink:

At this price point the NX2 is also a good donor for a DIY upgrade hobby. You can open it and play at will upgrading stuff and playing with the soldering iron without felling too guilty.

Oct 14, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #225 of 277
I'm pretty sure the overblown mid bass you're describing is not coming from the NX2 but from the source. I find it to be very neutral as a amp although I also find the dac section to be sub par. The fact that you find it to be more neutral when using the internal dac suggests that there's the dac's in the iPod and X3ii that add the warmth......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back