Topping NX2 Portable DAC/Amp Impressions Thread
Jun 2, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #197 of 277

The biggest drawback on the onboard DAC on the cambridge is that it is USB 1.1 interface with USB1 audio and limited to 16/48 and has no optical input.  You'd be better to get a dragonfly or a HifimeDiy that gives you USB 2.0 specs.   If it is going to sit on the desk next to the computer, I'm a fan of this one.  http://hifimediy.com/DACs/usb-dac2  It has coax and RCA outs along with a headphone out and built in volume control and will do 24/96.(ES9023 chip).  The other cool thing is it has a USB isolator built in so you dont wind up buying that too as a lot of computers suffer from a lot of usb noise.

Hi Wiljen...

You have clarified a lot of doubts I have. I see what you mean and I will look into the HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2 (external PSU) Asynchronous and it seems that this will be my choice. I had a friend look into it and he says that it looks pretty good and will serve me well. The price is very reasonable so I just might get it. I've taken quite a long time in picking out a DAC but I just want to be certain that I make an informed decision and choose the right one. What do you have to say about the Shiit and which of the 2 would you recommend ? ...  http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

Hope to hear from you soon, thanks for the advice
George

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #198 of 277
The Schiit modi is a good little dac but, compared to the one I recommended, you would need to go to the uber series to have the connection options.
Also, the modi has no direct output to headphones or volume adjustment so you have to get the magni uber to go with it to have the pre-amp outs and volume pot.

Having said that, if you have the $350 for the small stack of Schiit I can wholeheartedly recommend it. The magni is certainly a big step up in headphone amps from the hifimediy.  

I think with this primarily being a usb to dac to RCA or to your cambridge, I would do the hifimediy as it will do very well and save you about $250 over the modi uber/magni uber combo.

If later on you want to step up, sell the cambridge and the dac and buy a bifrost and a valhalla.

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #199 of 277
  The Schiit modi is a good little dac but, compared to the one I recommended, you would need to go to the uber series to have the connection options.
Also, the modi has no direct output to headphones or volume adjustment so you have to get the magni uber to go with it to have the pre-amp outs and volume pot.

Having said that, if you have the $350 for the small stack of Schiit I can wholeheartedly recommend it. The magni is certainly a big step up in headphone amps from the hifimediy.  

I think with this primarily being a usb to dac to RCA or to your cambridge, I would do the hifimediy as it will do very well and save you about $250 over the modi uber/magni uber combo.

If later on you want to step up, sell the cambridge and the dac and buy a bifrost and a valhalla.

Hello...

WOW, that was a fast reply... I see what you mean. The hifimediy will provide me with all I need for a reasonable price. Certainly the $350 is a bit out of the question at this moment and, like you say, after some time I can always upgrade and just sell the DAC and amp. BTW, I have my NAD 2030 back and it's been repaired and sounds great. A friend of a friend is a tech with over 45 years of experience and he got the NAD's spec's and bought the parts and even did a few upgrades. He is a very trustworthy guy so I know that it's a job well done. My friend  has fallen in love with the NAD 2030 and he want's to trade his NAD 304 Integrated AMP for the 2030. The 304 is 35 watts with a dynamic headroom of 5.5db which is more than the 3020. His 304 is in excellent condition, it looks new. I'll do the trade after using it for a few days listening to a few CD's.

Thank you for your time and excellent advice and I'll be getting the hifimediy in a few days. I'm sure that my audio set-up will be just fine and sound just like I want... "The Poor Man's Audiophile Dream".... soon , it won't be a dream anymore...

Thank you so much

George

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #200 of 277
Hey Guys,

I read all the 14 pages without finding what I was looking for so I  hope you can help me out here.
My setup is the following:
Notebook with Intel Soundcard (Intel® 8/C220) + Sennheiser Game Zero Headset with 150 Ohms + tomorrow my NX2 arrives.

I read a lot and couldn't imagine, that sound can be so complicated :wink:

I am struggeling with some questions:

1st.: my notebook has a hybrid Headphone/Mic jacket but I assume, using the headset I first need a Y-Cable as the NX2 can't handle the microphone?
2nd.: I am now really confused on how I should use that device?
Should I only use the amp which means only using the headphone jack's or should I use the DAC to bypass Intel ones?

Hope to find some answers here and pelase don't blame me for that Headset thing, it was a gift from the company.

Regards,
Enkhiel

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #201 of 277
  2nd.: I am now really confused on how I should use that device?
Should I only use the amp which means only using the headphone jack's or should I use the DAC to bypass Intel ones?

Regards,
Enkhiel

2nd: if you already go for the NX2, than the best sound you get is with laptops' USB to Topping NX2 as a dac. It will produce better sound than your laptop card, for the files up to 16/48.

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #203 of 277
Okay Guys,

so the device arrived and here are my results:
Setup:
HP Zbook15 with Kubuntu 16.04 + Sennheiser Game Zero + Topping NX2.

The Topping is recognized as "Audio Codec Analog Stereo" immediately and can be set up as output device.
First finding: It does not support the Microphone from the headset, so it is only an output port.

Afterwards I downloaded "F-777 - Dark Angel (FREE EP) - 01 Dark Angel (2012 HD Edition).flac" which I found in that forum for test purposes.

Using the Topping as an Amp only does... amping the sound a bit, nothing I would need as my output is loud enough anyway.
Using the Topping as DAC does nothing at all.
It neither improved sound quality nor bass or anything.

So using it on my notebook seems completely useless.

Oh, btw.: My NX2 has MicroUSB Ports instead of MiniUSB as well, so maybe they switched the ports to modern one :)

Best regards,
Enkhiel

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #204 of 277
  Okay Guys,

so the device arrived and here are my results:
Setup:
HP Zbook15 with Kubuntu 16.04 + Sennheiser Game Zero + Topping NX2.

The Topping is recognized as "Audio Codec Analog Stereo" immediately and can be set up as output device.
First finding: It does not support the Microphone from the headset, so it is only an output port.

Afterwards I downloaded "F-777 - Dark Angel (FREE EP) - 01 Dark Angel (2012 HD Edition).flac" which I found in that forum for test purposes.

Using the Topping as an Amp only does... amping the sound a bit, nothing I would need as my output is loud enough anyway.
Using the Topping as DAC does nothing at all.
It neither improved sound quality nor bass or anything.

So using it on my notebook seems completely useless.

Oh, btw.: My NX2 has MicroUSB Ports instead of MiniUSB as well, so maybe they switched the ports to modern one :)

Best regards,
Enkhiel

Interesting research. I agree with most of this. Although the NX2 is a neutral amp/DAC. I does little to no refinements. Although that is based on the source being used. I used the amp with the Cowon Plenue D and the detail refinement is somewhat present. The soundstage has been enhanced as well with my Cowon PD>NX2>M50x. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #205 of 277
I received it today and I am very disappointed.Sound only comes from one side of the headphone clearly a manufacturing defect.I bought it from ebay can anyone suggest me what should I do now.

Jul 13, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #206 of 277
Hi...

Just go to your Ebay account and go to "your orders" and you will see on the right of the product you ordered "more actions" and click & you have "return this item" and just follow the guide lines. Fast and easy....

George

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #207 of 277
  Hi...

Just go to your Ebay account and go to "your orders" and you will see on the right of the product you ordered "more actions" and click & you have "return this item" and just follow the guide lines. Fast and easy....

George

But the problem is it has been more than 2 months so I don't think that seller will accept return now.Is there any other way? 

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #208 of 277

But the problem is it has been more than 2 months so I don't think that seller will accept return now.Is there any other way? 

Best action is probably just to contact them, even if it's been two months there may be some kind of warranty or maybe he will give you a partial refund.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back