TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #2,102 of 2,185
I should mention that this does leave your amp and headphones exposed to the risk of DC on the source input connection. With the caps in place no DC gets to the NX1s gain stage, so a DC offset from the source wouldn't be amplified and fed to headphones (possibly damaging them).

could you explain this a little more, like example of what i should not put in the source input?

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #2,103 of 2,185
Haven't used my Topping NX1 for maybe 1 year and now the battery is dead...
Can the battery be replaced and when yes whith which kind of battery?
Comon, I have several Nokia phones from the beginning of the last decade which are still working, the oldest working one is from 2001 with original battery!!
Very sad ...

Apr 26, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #2,104 of 2,185
NX1 - 0.15 Ohm output impedance
NX1s - 3.5 Ohm output impedance

I cannot find similar measurement for the NX1a - does anyone know? Does anyone that has one have the equipment to test it?

EDIT: <0.02 Ohm output impedance for the NX1a - per this measurement by @hakuzen :

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...utorial-in-post-2.800208/page-6#post-12994430 (about half way down the page)

Topping NX1a

Unloaded and loaded with Pai Audio MR3.

Low gain: High gain (note the bass roll-off in both unloaded and loaded!):

(used Zishan DSD as source)

Measures (@ 1KHz, 0dBFS), using DMM:
Output impedance: <0.02Ω (measured at low gain).
Max. output unloaded (and clipping): high gain, 4.09Vrms; low gain, 3.26Vrms; (both, amplifying a 1.87Vrms signal)
Max. output at 64Ω (no clipping, low distortion): 2Vrms (in both low and high gain).

Hiss (while not playing music):
In low gain, the hiss is maximum (and clearly noticeable) at minimum volume, and goes lower when raising the volume (it is low at 3/4 volume, and it disappears at maximum volume).
In high gain, you get maximum hiss at minimum and maximum volume, less hiss at medium (12h) volume.

I'd use this device in low gain mode, to avoid the bass roll-off, because there is insignificant difference in undistorted output power between them.

Edit: deeper measures, found a big difference response between high and low gain.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #2,105 of 2,185
Just wanted to report, I got an NX1s with the intention of shorting the input caps, but really I'm fine with the bass as it is. I seems to be more transparent than the NX1, with better seperation in the bass and mids, and the bass is 'groovier'. Bangin'? :D I'm using it with a colorfly C3 and soundmagic e50. Recommended.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #2,110 of 2,185
I find it to be very transparent as far as the signal coming thru it and it's much more refined than the original 1!

C3 NobleXTop.JPG

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #2,113 of 2,185
Aug 16, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #2,115 of 2,185
I'm going to assume they're referring to the mod where you bypass the caps?

BTW, your glamour-shots are outstanding. What Noble you rocking?

THX Mr. T
Like the my AK Jr. the cheapest (MassDrop Super Jr.)! MassDrop Noble X's, both sound pretty good but I'm not overly keen on the AK's UI or the flimsy cable on the Noble but I guess buying entry level one can expect these things:rolling_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back