TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by h20fidelity, Dec 26, 2013.
Tags:
  1. sharpi31
    Good work, glad I could help mate. Do you notice a difference? Keen for someone to compare a modded NX1S with an NX3.... :)

2. skajohyros
    Bass has definitely improved. Don't have a nx3 to compare but I am working on a starving student tube amp.

3. RyanM
    I received the Topping NX1s a few days ago, and I’ve been trying it out with various IEM’s and earbuds. I’m not a headphone guy so I can’t speak to that. I will say that it seems to pair very well with earphones that are a tad brighter, for example the shows the Shozy Hibiki sounds pretty amazing with it. However I don’t necessarily find that the Zen 2 synergizes quite as well. The Zen sounds much much better with the Topping NX2. With this in mind, the NX2 is cooler sounding and the NX1s is pretty warm IMHO. I’m using an iPod Classic and iphone SE as sources here. Regardless, both these little amps represent incredible value at around 35-40 USD - wow. The bass boost and gain settings are a nice plus for the NX1s, but if you’re looking to pair with a set of warm IEM’, you may prefer the NX2. Cheers.

4. bsoplinger
    I've been playing with this for driving my Fostex TH-X00 purpleheart instead of the Xduoo XD-05. I saw reference to uncoupling the capacitors. Found the explanation here. Sounds completely reversible as long as I just bridge the capacitor legs but don't actually cut them. Am I correct?

5. skajohyros
    Yes.

bsoplinger likes this.
  6. bsoplinger
    I finally got a chance to pull out the soldering iron and bridge the capacitors. Wow, much better low end than before.

7. skajohyros
    Yes it's quite noticeable. Now we've got a decent amp on the cheap. I'm enjoying my zs5v1 and Dt 990 250 ohm with nx1s goodness. Hope you are doing the same.

8. bsoplinger
    ZS6, thinksound ON2 and rain3, Fostex TH-X00, NuForce Primo 8, Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD, SoundMAGIC E10 and PL50, Mee Pinnacle PX, Brainwavz B150, Senzer, Marshall Mode, TFZ Exclusive 5 among others. Been trying to find both headphones and IEMs I like and a set of cheap IEMs for portable use.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  9. bsoplinger
    Any idea if the NX2S has the same issue and has a similar fix?

10. sharpi31
    The NX2s datasheet shows that the response is flat to 20Hz, so there doesn't appear to be an issue to address.

It's possible that Topping went with undersized coupling caps in the NX1s due to lack of space. I wonder if they were also happy for the more expensive units to have better bass :wink:

bsoplinger likes this.
  11. jmwreck
    My NX1s just arrived, I will try the mod later.