TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #2,086 of 2,185
I received my NX1s today. Looking at Toppings frequency response graph the bass is >2db down at 20Hz. Sure enough this appears to be largely due to undersized coupling caps between the volume pot and gain stage (1uF into 9.4Khz resulting in a -3db point of 16.9Hz). The good news is that there is no DC bias on the coupling caps, so it should be possible to bypass them (rather than find some way to replace them with larger capacity caps within the small amplifier case). I measured less than 1mV DC offset on the outputs with the caps in place - I'll short out th coupling caps and remeasure, to ensure the level doesn't become problematic.

It's worth addressing this issue (by bypassing the existing caps or replacing with larger ones) as the phase response of the amp is compromised significantly above the -3db frequency. The normal rule of thumb would be to set the coupling caps to have a -3db point of 1/10 the lowest frequency you're aiming to reproduce (so 2Hz if you want clean 20Hz playback).

Update: all works fine with iPad Pro source and bypassed coupling caps. I'm measuring 0.5mV and 0.6mV on the NX1s outputs. Bass definitely bigger and tighter (not over the top, just less softened).
Hello, sharpi31.

Since I'm not very knowledgeable in electronics, could you do a step-by-step instruction on your Topping NX1s modification?

Mark with arrows on the photo, what exactly needs to be changed?

Thank you.

Dec 21, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2,087 of 2,185
Hello, sharpi31.

Since I'm not very knowledgeable in electronics, could you do a step-by-step instruction on your Topping NX1s modification?

Mark with arrows on the photo, what exactly needs to be changed?

Thank you.
See the two large blue blocks at the top middle of the board in that picture? Labeled C34 & C33. Just solder a wire from the bottom metal leg / lead to the upper. One wire for each. Two wires total.

If you follow the battery cable from the battery to the plug on the board, you'll see that it runs between the capacitors (big blue blocks) and the battery (biggest blue thing). You can nudge it out from between the capacitors and battery to make sure that you don't melt it while soldering the jumpers then put it back when you're done. Not necessary, I didn't, but since you sound a bit unsure its a simple enough precaution to make.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #2,089 of 2,185
Would the nx1s work with a phone using googles $9 USB C adapter ?
You're trying to hook up a phone without a headphone jack to the NX1s I assume? Then yes you should be able to use any type-c to headphone jack adapter not just the semi expensive Google one.

Personally I'd suggest getting the NX2s and bypassing the phone's DAC completely by using an OTG type-c to micro usb cable but that's a more expensive solution, especially if you have a NX1s in hand.

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #2,090 of 2,185
You're trying to hook up a phone without a headphone jack to the NX1s I assume? Then yes you should be able to use any type-c to headphone jack adapter not just the semi expensive Google one.

Personally I'd suggest getting the NX2s and bypassing the phone's DAC completely by using an OTG type-c to micro usb cable but that's a more expensive solution, especially if you have a NX1s in hand.

I just got a lg g5 and have a nx1s already on order, was gonna use it for a 5th gen ipod but it broke. So i was thinking of using it with the phone. Id still have to order the adapter too.

Mar 8, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #2,091 of 2,185
No idea if anyone reads this thread soon, but I face an issue with my NX1, it picks up weird hissing and distortions if my cell phone is nearby. I know a the mobile phone signals could interfere but given the metal shell of NX1 the extent could have been low. But it buzzes badly. Any idea?

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #2,092 of 2,185
No idea if anyone reads this thread soon, but I face an issue with my NX1, it picks up weird hissing and distortions if my cell phone is nearby. I know a the mobile phone signals could interfere but given the metal shell of NX1 the extent could have been low. But it buzzes badly. Any idea?

I don't use a phone for audio at all but I know there has been quite a lot of posts in this thread about the NX1 picking of phone noise. It's not just yours, it's the deal with this thing.

Mar 8, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #2,093 of 2,185
Try with another cable, I had extraneous sounds from the smartphone, if it was nearby. I replaced the Topping cable and the extraneous sounds went away.

P.S. I bought Fiio L16, but you can try any other, the main thing is that it should be better than the Topping cable.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #2,094 of 2,185
As others have said, its been commented on quite a bit here that it suffers from EM interference. The newer NX1s does not.

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #2,095 of 2,185

Sorry @EISENbricher , that was the only drawback of the original NX1. Problem corrected in the latter models 2,3,5 and NX1s. I just got a 1s a few months ago and love it strapped to my C3. But the NX2 is my favorite especially it's form factor:wink:

Paired to my FiiO X3ii:slight_smile:

KZ Best Braided.JPG

Not to mention it looks like Topping is really stepping up their game with the new NX4 DSD DAC/AMP:beerchug:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/toppin...ontent=1520494165562.089619833067345441173093

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #2,096 of 2,185
Oh... I think it can't be helped then. I'm not using NX1 with my phone now as previously, but using it with Xduoo player. However the NX1 grabs that interference even from ~1m distance between phone and itself.

I guess I should just be ensuring more distance then. PS: I'm already using better AUX cable, not the Topping provided one.

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #2,097 of 2,185
Oh... I think it can't be helped then. I'm not using NX1 with my phone now as previously, but using it with Xduoo player. However the NX1 grabs that interference even from ~1m distance between phone and itself.

I guess I should just be ensuring more distance then. PS: I'm already using better AUX cable, not the Topping provided one.

It's inherent to the build and chassis of that amp, I tried better ic's myself to no avail:disappointed: I still have an original 1 but does not see much use these days:rolling_eyes:

Mar 8, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #2,098 of 2,185
It's inherent to the build and chassis of that amp, I tried better ic's myself to no avail:disappointed: I still have an original 1 but does not see much use these days:rolling_eyes:
I'll check if I can come up with some hack :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back