TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Aug 17, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #2,117 of 2,185
I use high gain but not bass boost, I find it too boomy.
The mod requires soldering but is fairly easy to do. The difference is minimal but noticeable. Plus I like tinkering.

Well I just have the bass boost switched on for this photo, I never run it because (at least in my opinion) it throws most recorded bass off and it sound unnatural:confounded: I have heard of the soldering mod but with my jumbo hands I never attempt delicate procedures:fearful:

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #2,118 of 2,185
Well I just have the bass boost switched on for this photo, I never run it because (at least in my opinion) it throws most recorded bass off and it sound unnatural:confounded: I have heard of the soldering mod but with my jumbo hands I never attempt delicate procedures:fearful:
I use high gain but not bass boost, I find it too boomy.
The mod requires soldering but is fairly easy to do. The difference is minimal but noticeable. Plus I like tinkering.

Hey, I was gonna ask about the quality of the boost. One thing the original NX1 has never left me wanting is bass boost. Not to say it's a bassy amp by any means…

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #2,119 of 2,185
Hey, I was gonna ask about the quality of the boost. One thing the original NX1 has never left me wanting is bass boost. Not to say it's a bassy amp by any means…

Bass Boost is Boomy and Muddled on the 1s, I personally think the normal bass setting on the 1s is just like my 1. I still have both and both are in excellent working condition. 1 still suffers from RF interference but you get it out in the woods and it's as quite as a mouse:thumbsup:

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #2,120 of 2,185
Bass Boost is Boomy and Muddled on the 1s, I personally think the normal bass setting on the 1s is just like my 1. I still have both and both are in excellent working condition. 1 still suffers from RF interference but you get it out in the woods and it's as quite as a mouse:thumbsup:

The e12a does boost right. IIRC it only boosts the subbass range as opposed to the midbass

Only ever hooked my NX1 to a phone once… once:wink: (completely forgot about the interference issues). Never had any problems stacking it with any of my DAPs though. Even using it at home with wifi devices nearby it is quiet (never actually tried setting it on top of my laptop - maybe that'd be a different result).
It's been a while since I've used it. Gonna have to dig it out and give it some ear time now. Thanks guys!

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #2,121 of 2,185
Yea Mr. T the tube lights in my office effect mine, maybe even my WRLS keyboard and mouse! I do know it's noisy when I try and use it in there but now problems with either my NX2 or 1s.

Aug 17, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #2,122 of 2,185
Yea Mr. T the tube lights in my office effect mine, maybe even my WRLS keyboard and mouse! I do know it's noisy when I try and use it in there but now problems with either my NX2 or 1s.
Yikes! I guess "Bring Your Tube Amp to Work Day" isn't an option either.

Topping must have made some revisions to the PCB/components somewhere along the line to deal with the noise. I've never had anywhere close to the issues you have.

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #2,123 of 2,185
Not so sure, my (Desltop) Jolida FX-10 is in the background of almost every picture I post in hear and it does not pick up interference like my NX1!

2017 Office Rig.JPG

Aug 29, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #2,124 of 2,185
I have a Fiio X5iii and Sennheiser hd 598. I am stuck between two options. It is either the Fiio E12A or the Toppin NX1S. Which of the amps has better sound quality with the X5iii's line out? Can anybody share any insight on this? Only sound quality matters.

Aug 29, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #2,125 of 2,185
I have a Fiio X5iii and Sennheiser hd 598. I am stuck between two options. It is either the Fiio E12A or the Toppin NX1S. Which of the amps has better sound quality with the X5iii's line out? Can anybody share any insight on this? Only sound quality matters.

I have the NX1 (no S), but I have to say prefer the sound of my e12a to it. The NX1 isn't bad by any means, but the e12a does have a smoother more refined sound - thanks to the Muses02 opamps (the NX1 does have a bigger soundstage though). From the bits I've read I'll say the e12a also has a better bass boost too.
To add a non-sq point, the battery on the NX1 lasts forever!

Aug 29, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #2,126 of 2,185
I have the NX1 (no S), but I have to say prefer the sound of my e12a to it. The NX1 isn't bad by any means, but the e12a does have a smoother more refined sound - thanks to the Muses02 opamps (the NX1 does have a bigger soundstage though). From the bits I've read I'll say the e12a also has a better bass boost too.
To add a non-sq point, the battery on the NX1 lasts forever!

So is the E12A smoother or more neutral than the NX? I mean to say I prefer neutral more detail-oriented with X5iii so which has got more details?

Aug 30, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #2,127 of 2,185
So is the E12A smoother or more neutral than the NX? I mean to say I prefer neutral more detail-oriented with X5iii so which has got more details?

I dunno, maybe since I find the NX1 to be on the brighter side of neutral (slightly), you could say that's more detailed. Really, I'd call it a toss up tho. I also can't say if either will be an improvement over the amp in the X5iii in the first place. Never heard one myself.
There's also the Fiio A5 or one of the newer Topping amps to consider if you got the budget (haven't heard any of those either)

Sep 1, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #2,129 of 2,185
I am considering the subject for some volume bust when playing from LG G6 and ASUS Xonar D1 to Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition 250ohms. Is it good enough for the purpose?

Sep 2, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #2,130 of 2,185
I am considering the subject for some volume bust when playing from LG G6 and ASUS Xonar D1 to Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition 250ohms. Is it good enough for the purpose?
I don't know about your set up. It's a great little amp with my xduuo X3 and dt990 at 50-65 % volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back