TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #961 of 2,185
@Shluupag

How are you getting on with the KZ EDSE/NX1 combo now? I've been listening to the KZ's the last few days and they are the most sensitive headphone I've ever heard. Late at night I'm using the lowest volume setting from my iPad and even then it can be too loud with some apps/tracks! Would this mean that they'd be way too loud for me with an X1, or would the amp allow more control over volume?

They are nice IEM's by the way, such ridiculous value, but I'm on the lookout for improvement: the soundstage and clarity don't come near the cans that I'm hoping to retire.

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #962 of 2,185
@Shluupag

How are you getting on with the KZ EDSE/NX1 combo now? I've been listening to the KZ's the last few days and they are the most sensitive headphone I've ever heard. Late at night I'm using the lowest volume setting from my iPad and even then it can be too loud with some apps/tracks! Would this mean that they'd be way too loud for me with an X1, or would the amp allow more control over volume?

They are nice IEM's by the way, such ridiculous value, but I'm on the lookout for improvement: the soundstage and clarity don't come near the cans that I'm hoping to retire.

You should get Havi B3 Pro 1 if you want masive improvement in soundstage and clarity .....they reeally sound like cans ...cheers.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #963 of 2,185
Hi mixolyd!

With Clip Zip and random integrated PC soundcard it's fine, low gain, any source volume level. Just at max volume can only crank that amp knob very little, so I drop source volume closer to 50% than 100%... but how does it happen that iPad is loud even at lowest volume, do you keep the amp max volume and/or high gain? I felt like the sound balanced out after some use, bass became tighter with EDSE. I don't feel like clarity is issue, but of course I live in ignorant bliss of some really nice setups. With this setup amp has quite a bit potential overkill power, but I really like what it does to the sound. I ordered the new KZ ES model to test out.

EDIT: Ahhh, you mean it's loud without NX1. Ok so, if I have amp volume at 50% and low gain, source whatever volume. If I then plug the EDSE directly to the Clip Zip, it is louder. So often times I get startled by the volume when I take the amp off and only use Clip. But it is not too loud at lowest volume like with iPad..?

That explains also why you feel particular lack of soundstage and clarity, the NX1 helps. At least with soundstage, depth, 3D, whatever. Maybe not to extent you find satisfactory.

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #964 of 2,185
@ Wokei

Yes the Havi does sound like the IEM for me: huge SS, neutral, good for classic rock and live recordings. Only problem is I'd have to buy an amp too and am trying to be financially responsible at the moment. Have started buying food items cheaply in bulk in hope of affording some Head Fi upgrades!

@ Shluupag

Damn your name is awkward to spell.

:blink:

Yes, now you get it! So using the amp does allow better control over both min and max volume levels, that's good. I do tend to listen more quietly than most people, when at home in the quiet anyway. I don't want to lose the top end of my hearing the way most musos seem to. I used to have a clip zip (it broke) and seem to recall it being quieter than the ipad and my phone but then I didn't have these ultra-sensitive IEM's at the time.

Maybe if I live on SmartPrice rice for 40p/kilo I can justify the NX1...

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #965 of 2,185
@ Wokei

Yes the Havi does sound like the IEM for me: huge SS, neutral, good for classic rock and live recordings. Only problem is I'd have to buy an amp too and am trying to be financially responsible at the moment. Have started buying food items cheaply in bulk in hope of affording some Head Fi upgrades!

@ Shluupag

Damn your name is awkward to spell.

:blink:

Yes, now you get it! So using the amp does allow better control over both min and max volume levels, that's good. I do tend to listen more quietly than most people, when at home in the quiet anyway. I don't want to lose the top end of my hearing the way most musos seem to. I used to have a clip zip (it broke) and seem to recall it being quieter than the ipad and my phone but then I didn't have these ultra-sensitive IEM's at the time.

Maybe if I live on SmartPrice rice for 40p/kilo I can justify the NX1...

Lol, if you're looking to be financial responsible you'd better get away from this site :wink:

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #967 of 2,185
Sep 24, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #974 of 2,185
I use a 2.1 amp wall charger with it. Just charged it once when I received it and it's been weeks ever since. It took around 3 hours for the charge light to go off. It's a nice little amp I hope you enjoy it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back