TOPPING G5 Portable DAC/Amp Now on Apos
Oct 27, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #78 of 100
Oct 29, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #79 of 100
One word. CLEAN

If you want clean, uncolored, and accurate sounding portable DAC/AMP, this is it. Compared to ifi Gryphon which I also enjoy, this is on the other end of the spectrum. For my taste, i prefer the G5.
Thanks. I’ve heard a lot of folks describe the Topping house sound as lifeless, sterile, uninspired, etc. I can understand why people would say this because from another perspective, I think it’s a such a neutral reference sound which could be interpreted that way. Personally, I have to be in the mood for this type of sound, but at certain times it scratches the itch. Looks like you have a NewFantasia replacement cable in that photo. I just discovered these, and they seem to have very good quality for the price. Purchased a few of the 4.4 balanced for my Sennheisers. Also, an 11/11/22 sale on the https://shenzhenaudio.com/ website.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #80 of 100
One word. CLEAN
20220924_231900.jpg
If you want clean, uncolored, and accurate sounding portable DAC/AMP, this is it. Compared to ifi Gryphon which I also enjoy, this is on the other end of the spectrum. For my taste, i prefer the G5.
I prefer g5 too over m17 and gryphon. And it's priced significantly less and even on Amazon prime free no hassle returns.

Nov 2, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #85 of 100
Just pulled the trigger.
15% discount voucher on amazon makes this a no brainer. Will keep me entertained over winter months.
that real good choice bro, i use this dac everyday he owned all :beyersmile:

Nov 11, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #88 of 100
Brief and very initial first impressions coming from somebody who appreciates timber/tonality over detail and resolution. Seems to have really nice synergy with DT177X, I might keep this device for that reason alone. 660S seems to sound good too. Otherwise, in a nutshell, sounds like a scaled down version of the topping house sound and desktop performance as you might expect.

There also seems to be an issue with the volume in general, or on my unit, as I have gain set to high and am using easy to drive headphones like the 660S, 58XX, 560S with the volume pot at about 11.

Anyone else experiencing this? Maybe it’s designed this way, but therefore does not seem to provide a lot of headroom.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #89 of 100
Brief and very initial first impressions coming from somebody who appreciates timber/tonality over detail and resolution. Seems to have really nice synergy with DT177X, I might keep this device for that reason alone. 660S seems to sound good too. Otherwise, in a nutshell, sounds like a scaled down version of the topping house sound and desktop performance as you might expect.

There also seems to be an issue with the volume in general, or on my unit, as I have gain set to high and am using easy to drive headphones like the 660S, 58XX, 560S with the volume pot at about 11.

Anyone else experiencing this? Maybe it’s designed this way, but therefore does not seem to provide a lot of headroom.
Thanks @spruce I'll be using mine with DT1770 and HD660s also so really helpful.

Still waiting for my unit to arrive. I have read elsewhere that there is a volume issue which was a concern of mine.

Nov 13, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #90 of 100
Had more time with the DT 177X and G5 today. Really happy with how these sound together. It makes these headphones sound nicely balanced while also not analytical in my opinion. I’m keeping the G5 for this reason alone.

Otherwise, I would say the other thing that stands out to me is the silent background this device provides. It’s very impressive and I don’t get this sense from other portables I have, although I think the D90 is similar in that regard.

Thought folks might be interested as I was looking for an alternative to rubber bands to attach the G5 to my phone and found the following after searching the web for a while. It works well for me: andobil Easyfly Magnetic Phone Grip

*On second listen think I prefer the 650 instead of 660s with G5, they both sound decent in my opinion but probably not something I’ll reach for very often.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back