TOPPING G5 Portable DAC/Amp Now on Apos
Oct 9, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #61 of 100
Headphones.com has in stock. Mine was delivered in 3 days. 👍
After the refund is processed I will probably go that route. I really like dealing with @Apos Audio , though, but in this case it just did not work out.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #62 of 100
After the refund is processed I will probably go that route. I really like dealing with APOS, though, but in this case it just did not work out.
IIRC, Apos does not carry all their stock in US warehouses. Some of their items are shipped from China. So it's no different from ordering directly from a China retailer. Except maybe slightly easier to return if needed.

Which is what kind of deters me from ordering from them. I have no problem with Apos though. I just prefer other US based retailers. Plus headphones has the 365 return policy which is nice.

Oct 9, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #63 of 100
I received my G5 and I like everything about it so far except for the Bluetooth. The Bluetooth connection is pretty awful especially when using LDAC and when I change the setting to optimize for audio quality, I'm getting frequent dropouts and the devices are literally next to each other at home. With my older devices, this was never an issue.

Only other thing I wish the G5 came with was a little traveling pouch. Nice little leather pouch would've been nice. But otherwise, all the other accessories are great. 👍

Battery life is also amazing on the G5. LDAC does drain the phones battery rapidly though. My phone will probably run out before the G5 does. 😅
Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear about the Bluetooth. Just wondering if you've had a chance to try it through the 4.4mm balanced with hard-to-drive headphones and if so, how does it do?

Because I've been impressed with my NX4DSD so much over the years, it seems the G5 would be a no brainer for me. The NX4DSD seems to be able to drive most anything, even at its 300mW output, so I thought the G5 would probably be more than enough for what I've got (a couple of lower end HiFiMans and the HD-6XX).

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #64 of 100
Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear about the Bluetooth. Just wondering if you've had a chance to try it through the 4.4mm balanced with hard-to-drive headphones and if so, how does it do?

Because I've been impressed with my NX4DSD so much over the years, it seems the G5 would be a no brainer for me. The NX4DSD seems to be able to drive most anything, even at its 300mW output, so I thought the G5 would probably be more than enough for what I've got (a couple of lower end HiFiMans and the HD-6XX).
Yup, I posted in the Arya thread that it can drive the V2's to enjoyable levels. Can probably drive the Stealth version HiFiMan's without any issue.

It also drive my low impedance Grados very well. And I tried high impedance headphone like R70x and I thought it did a pretty good job there too. Topping amps never disappoint me and are the most versatile over any other I've ever tried.

It's like a baby A90.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #65 of 100
I received my G5 and I like everything about it so far except for the Bluetooth. The Bluetooth connection is pretty awful especially when using LDAC and when I change the setting to optimize for audio quality, I'm getting frequent dropouts and the devices are literally next to each other at home. With my older devices, this was never an issue.

Only other thing I wish the G5 came with was a little traveling pouch. Nice little leather pouch would've been nice. But otherwise, all the other accessories are great. 👍

Battery life is also amazing on the G5. LDAC does drain the phones battery rapidly though. My phone will probably run out before the G5 does. 😅
What device do you have the G5 connected to for BT?

I have solid connection on my S22 ultra locked at 990kbps. Zero dropout.

Oct 9, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #67 of 100
With Samsung s20 and Xiaomi 8 bluetooth connection is solide too, in LDAC, with G5

Oct 12, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #69 of 100
those who have tried this and the Gryphon what would be your verdict?
I think they are comparable as far as performance goes. Different sound signatures. I find that Gryphon works better with IEMs from my experience. The G5 has enough power to work with both IEMs and headphones.

I'll also add that the G5 doesn't have the typical clinical or analytical sound that is associated with sabre chips. I find this to be highly emotive and expressive sounding. Very musical. 👍

One thing I also noticed is that there is some oomph in the upper/mid bass region. Which gives the G5 a slightly warmish character and adds some punch. It's a nice little coloration but maybe too much for some headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #70 of 100
those who have tried this and the Gryphon what would be your verdict?
Gryphon overpriced. If you going to get gryphon might as well just get a signature. Gryphon power relatively weak. My legend x goes up to 90 on gryphon.

My NX7 much more powerful than gryphon and i except g5 will be the same

Oct 12, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #73 of 100
Gryphon overpriced. If you going to get gryphon might as well just get a signature. Gryphon power relatively weak. My legend x goes up to 90 on gryphon.

My NX7 much more powerful than gryphon and i except g5 will be the same
in percentage of volume in how much you move it if with 90 of 106 it corresponds to 85% you move it with a gryphon

Oct 27, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #75 of 100
Guys, I have one question which one is better of these two, comparison xduoo xd-05 bal vs topping g5?
Hi , I have Xduoo xd-05 bal one year already.

In short, if I were buying today, I would try/buy G5 first, then Xduoo. I will at some point try G5.

I have to say Xduoo have been flawless so far driving 500mW Sony EX800ST IEMs, on high gain I can go max. volume 3-4 out of 10 while listening to basshead stuff.

Battery lasts 15-20 hours on high gain LDAC990 with its 5000mAh battery. Xduoo gives 50-70% power output compared to G5.

If you have any specific questions re. Xduoo, PM me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back