TOPPING EHA5 on Apos Audio: Unlock the True Potential of Your Electrostatic Headphones🎧
Apr 20, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #91 of 153
Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #93 of 153
https://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/28658-topping-eha-5/#comment-911141

I honestly don't care how an amp is designed...just how it sounds. If it happens to blow up the headphone, then I'd take it up with Topping.

I don't understand all the angry remarks even before listening to it...already sounded bias to me.

http://bbs.erji.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2300120&extra=page=1

A more balanced, objective, and informative perspective.
The problem is that if you damage a pair of headphones with the amp, Topping isn't going to do anything to help. If I am wrong someone can correct me, but when other topping amps have killed peoples headphones (L30 was the last common example, IIRC,) they didn't do anything to help those people. Replace the amp? Sure, but replace peoples broken headphones, or have them fixed? No.

Conversely, Schiit did when there were some problems with the Lyr3, but I have never read of topping replacing someones headphones, or paying to have them fixed.

I was interested in the EHA5, but I wouldn't use it unless it has the necessary precautions to protect the headphones from inputting too much voltage, arc'ing the stators/burning holes in the the diaphragms. Not worth the risk, as most electrostats aren't exactly cheap.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #94 of 153
this is sad news overall,

well back to listening to my 717 lol

Apr 21, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #95 of 153
I guess I'm the lucky few who haven't had any issues with their amps. Not a fan boy or anything but I do own or have owned a few of their products: DX7 pro, D30/A30 pro, A90D, G5. They all represented good value/performance for the budget / mid-fi market.

Being a pretty well known brand, I'd assume they'd do their due diligence and perform hundreds of hours of QA before shipping anything hazardous to households.

Given the track record I have with their products, I guess have some confidence that it'll be alright. But I can see why others might have concern.

Apr 21, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #98 of 153
https://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/28658-topping-eha-5/#comment-911141

I honestly don't care how an amp is designed...just how it sounds. If it happens to blow up the headphone, then I'd take it up with Topping.

I don't understand all the angry remarks even before listening to it...already sounded bias to me.

http://bbs.erji.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2300120&extra=page=1

A more balanced, objective, and informative perspective.

Yes, if the amp damages your Stax X9000 just send Topping a quick email. They'll certainly send you a cheque for 7350 Euros so you can buy a new headphone. /S

Stax will do nothing to help you either as their warranty is void if you don't use their own amps.

I've followed Birgir and Kevin for years. They are harsh in their criticism but the reason I trust them is that many of the headphone amplifier companies they have gone after in the past have gone out of business not long after. The reason is not that they were creating high quality products.

If I'm spending big money on an amp or even small money on an amp which could be used with big money headphones I want to know as much as possible about the design.

Otherwise you have to judge a product based on the fanciness of the casework, the retail price and the marketing mumbo jumbo and reviews from all the ad supported reviewers (salesmen :wink:)

So thank goodness we have the Stax Mafia to take apart these products.

Apr 21, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #99 of 153
An off topic question:

Did Birgir ever open up and analyze the LTA Z10e?
If so can someone link me to it?
(Pm is also fine)

Apr 22, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #100 of 153
It's a funny product... it has LA90 parts in it and the hilarious part is I run my converter off a topping LA90 and when I took it apart I figured I could fit 2 Lundahl transformers in there... This product is basically an existing amplifier from Topping and output transformers for the higher voltages needed.

Output has no protection and this in an electrostatic amp with high voltages.

Best left to the few and the brave.

I loved the tear down but dunno if im fully onboard with it having no "protection"... The transformers themselves offer isolation from the amplifier stages and since the Topping drivers are sort of all in one devices, we don't know what protection exists before the transformers. The output voltage protection might not be an issue if the amplifier won't drive to those levels anyways? More investigation would be needed, but not at the output side?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #101 of 153
I got an email from Apos earlier today that they will not be able to ship out my order until May 25. For reference, I placed an order for the EHA5 on April 11. I don’t think I can wait that long and will have to cancel my order. Will report back if I get to hear it at some point in the future.

Apr 22, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #102 of 153
I got an email from Apos earlier today that they will not be able to ship out my order until May 25. For reference, I placed an order for the EHA5 on April 11. I don’t think I can wait that long and will have to cancel my order. Will report back if I get to hear it at some point in the future.
I got the same email and I ordered it the same day as you. As I posted to ASR. "I'm ok with waiting as I'd rather not be the first to, potentially, have my L700 Mk ii burst into flames, while listening to Hendrix."

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #103 of 153
EHA5 arrived earlier today, the sound is promising for the money:
IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

Apr 29, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #104 of 153
Anyone have any news, or reviews?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back