TOPPING EHA5 on Apos Audio: Unlock the True Potential of Your Electrostatic Headphones🎧
Jan 13, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #136 of 153
@Svperstar Interesting find. Other Topping offers have some issues and bass heavy situations protection may kick in. You can try this: https://onlinetonegenerator.com/frequency-sweep-generator.html . Sweep 1-20 Hz and see where the problem starts and then use continuous tone for the cause frequency. You can then try a low shelf filter -30 dB at those frequencies where it happens. It may work or make it less likely to happen.

I will have to mess with it sometime, I was unable to get it to shut off listening to the bassiest music I have turned up as loud as I could handle both with heavy EQ and without.

It was only with a very weird loud and potentially clipping sound effect (not music) that I got it to shut off. People don't listen to pure sin waves and other test tones.

Jan 14, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #137 of 153
So I hooked up the Topping EHA5 to my Audeze CRBN for the first time today. Damn. Crystal clear clean sound. I turn my RME up to +13 vs +7 I use with my other amps to give it a bit more headroom, and I always leave volume maxed in software.

Using music I'm unable to get it to turn off, playing the bassiest test tracks I have. I haven't fed it any test tones. Like if I turned it up any louder I would have permanent hearing damage but the amp is still going strong and sounds good with the CRBN.

I understand there are some DACs that output 5 volt vs 4 volts being the norm with balanced. Maybe paring the EHA5 with one of those will give maximum headroom before running into any issues with it turning off.

Jan 25, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #139 of 153
Jan 25, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #141 of 153
So a big improvement over the koss energizer? What kind of differences does it make?

The Koss energizer has a filter in it that EQs down 200hz and lower, the Topping does not. Soon as you plug it in you will be shocked by the bass.

Now I hear some people hear artifacts when using higher power amps with the 95X, I had no issues. I recommend start with the volume low

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #142 of 153
The Koss energizer has a filter in it that EQs down 200hz and lower, the Topping does not. Soon as you plug it in you will be shocked by the bass.

Now I hear some people hear artifacts when using higher power amps with the 95X, I had no issues. I recommend start with the volume low
Hmmm. I quite like the bass the way it is. Sounds pretty natural to me. Any other changes?

Where'd you get your adapter, btw?

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #143 of 153
Hmmm. I quite like the bass the way it is. Sounds pretty natural to me. Any other changes?

Where'd you get your adapter, btw?

I got it used off Headfi classifieds, no other changes besides it gets louder and feels driven with more authority and waaaaay better bass

Jan 26, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #145 of 153
"Driven with more authority" is definitely something to consider.

Last night I was playing some games and switched to the Koss/EHA5 from my Audeze CRBN.

I'm working from home today so I hooked up the Koss amp to compare it to the EHA5, it looks like they both have similar levels of volume, but on the EHA5 you don't have to deal with the godawful split volume knob.

The Stax amps is where you really start to get the difference in volume.

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #147 of 153
I was thinking by "authority" you meant more in the sense of getting more resolution or better bodied sounds or something. I don't have an issue with the volume (besides that damn knob) on the Koss box.

I did, out of the EHA5 the Koss loses abit of its "ghostly" characteristic and has a more full bodied sound, removing that 200hz filter probably has a lot to do with that. It responds well to EQ tho not as well as some of my planars and dynamics or the CRBN.

The Koss sounds better out of the EHA5, but even better out of the two Stax amps I have. I thought the T1S was an especially good pairing even tho technically it is inferior to the 717 my other Stax amp. Just good synergy.

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #148 of 153
While I have neither, I would love to hear a shoot out between the EHA5 and the new ifi Phantom. They are both transformer based. Big price difference both similar transformer output, but how well each works would be great to compare.

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #149 of 153
While I have neither, I would love to hear a shoot out between the EHA5 and the new ifi Phantom. They are both transformer based. Big price difference both similar transformer output, but how well each works would be great to compare.

I thought about getting a Phantom but passed due to the cost..........the 4 estat amps I own are cheaper combined than one Phantom.

I've not read of the Phantom shutting itself off like the EHA5......whether that's worth 10x the price is up to you

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #150 of 153
@Svperstar I haven't heard or experienced any problems with Ifi iESL. Fully transparent too. It gets expensive also because you need a good stereo amp. My system cost about the same as Phantom. But you get Balanced IN>OUT and can use dynamic headphones.

If I could just find used EHA5 somewhere for a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back