Topping D50
Apr 21, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #946 of 1,054
I am a newcomer to this world of independent DACs. The D50s is the first standalone DAC I bought for what is starting to be my main setup and for which I will release funds for upgrades once I sell components from my living room setup which I cannot use due to the room setting and this being the main TV area hence taken during the day.

I wanted to ask if there are people in the forum who actually compared the D50/D50s with more mainstream names in the DAC world that charge 4-10 times more the amount (you know the names that can be cited here). Can this DAC or it's bigger relatives (D70/D90) match those?

I have the D90 in my second audio setup. The D90 has better sound quality than the D50. The D90 is also a bit more versatile.

I tried out the following DACs before I settled on the Topping D50 for my first audio system:
  • SMSL M6
  • Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus
  • Topping DX3 Pro
To my ears, the D50 sounded better than those three.

May 17, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #947 of 1,054
I'm very impressed so far with the limited amount of listening I've done. The first thing I noticed right out of the box is the build quality. This is my first sabre DAC so its definitely a new experience. I'm enjoying it. I'm going switch back to my Schiit Bifrost multibit in a little bit for a different perspective on the same CD.

Hi, saw that you had the modi multibit / modi 3 before getting the D50s while having the bifrost as well.
Am thinking between the modi 3 (or multibit) and the D50s as my computer DAC, any views on the DACs after a month of listening?

May 17, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #948 of 1,054
I went for it as it has an I2S interface. I use my DAP to connect to it via I2S. From what I understand, this is the the most direct way to interface a digital transport to a DAC. I did try an A/B comparison of I2S vs USB and found the I2S interface slightly better.

It seems that the I2S interface helps in this setup. In general, I2S is better than other interfaces.

May 27, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #949 of 1,054
Hi, saw that you had the modi multibit / modi 3 before getting the D50s while having the bifrost as well.
Am thinking between the modi 3 (or multibit) and the D50s as my computer DAC, any views on the DACs after a month of listening?
I prefer the Modi multibit, then the Modi 3, and then the D50s. Just my personal preference of course.

May 27, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #950 of 1,054
My D50 died many months ago. Recently I took it apart to find the reason, unsuccessfully. When I plug in a power cord, 5V 1+A, the unit will get extremely hot, and nothing will appear on the lcd, nor will the device be recognized by Windows.

Does anyone have advice on what/where to troubleshoot?

May 28, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #951 of 1,054
My D50 died many months ago. Recently I took it apart to find the reason, unsuccessfully. When I plug in a power cord, 5V 1+A, the unit will get extremely hot, and nothing will appear on the lcd, nor will the device be recognized by Windows.

Does anyone have advice on what/where to troubleshoot?

Something shorted?

Jun 1, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #952 of 1,054
My Topping D50s is sadly having to go back. It doesn't seem to be able to pick up COAX input from my Bluesound Node 2i whereas my other DACS can. Shame it was faulty - it was a superb little thing when I was using it with my PC via USB and even had the P50 power supply with it which also needs to go back due to the strict compatibility list. Bought from @shenzhenaudio on Amazon UK (D50s fulfilled by prime and P50 shipped from China) so hopefully returns should be a smooth process.

Not entirely certain where to go from here but pairing with an SMSL SP200 perhaps the M200 is the natural go-to. Not fully sure though, I've only ever had ESS DACs.

Jun 1, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #953 of 1,054
Jun 2, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #954 of 1,054
I had D50 and SMSL M8A, but I could not remember which one for sure now. Assuming it was D50. The dac is very heavy relatively with its size that hints the dac might rely on the metal case for the badly needed heat dissipation. This work well in ideal situations, but it can fail badly when the internal parts cannot pass the heat to the metal case.

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #955 of 1,054
It's been some time that I don't come here.

Has there been any attempts at modifying the D50 or D50s?

I know that would be more DIY than anything, but maybe someone has a story to tell about that.

Jun 14, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #958 of 1,054
I've been using my Mimby for the past few weeks but it started to have a small channel imbalance so I went back to the D50s. I forgot just how smooth and clean of a dac it is and I'd say it's technically superior to the Mimby but not quite as musical.

I've been looking around at new dacs I might like to try like the D70, D90, and the like but after using the D50s again I don't think I need to spend the money on a new one. I'm very happy with what I have and for me I don't think it's worth spending $500 or $600 on a new dac that will be marginally better.

Jun 14, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #959 of 1,054
My Topping D50 completely died. Whether on USB or with an external power supply, no lights or any activity....
:frowning2:
How long have you owned it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back