Topping D50
May 15, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #32 of 1,054
Just got mine from Massdrop's first drop of the Topping D50. If I were to sum its sound, I'd say incredibly clear yet refined and not fatiguing. Compared to the OL DAC, more apparent micro-detail, sound separation, and layering. Finally, I'm done with my home and office setups.

Running mine with Mode 5 (linear, fast roll-off filter) and 4.35 Thesycon drivers.

1 - TctqSvC.jpg

2 - PaML1ts.jpg

IMG_E2899.JPG

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #33 of 1,054
Just got mine from Massdrop's first drop of the Topping D50. If I were to sum its sound, I'd say incredibly clear yet refined and not fatiguing. Compared to the OL DAC, more apparent micro-detail, sound separation, and layering. Finally, I'm done with my home and office setups.

Running mine with Mode 5 (linear, fast roll-off filter) and 4.35 Thesycon drivers.

tell us more. my package is still two days away.

May 15, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #34 of 1,054

would recommend power bank with this little beast ,enjoy

May 15, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #36 of 1,054

Joined the latest drop, sounds like I will be happy, pretty pumped to try it. I have the D10 which is a good sounding DAC with the 9018 chip, not as "sharp" as my SMSL M8, or Oppo HA-1 from what I remember when I ran it through my iCan Pro, to my ears at least, YMMV.

May 16, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #38 of 1,054
You mention D50 "sounds thicker" ?,I would agree that low end is more pronounced then your usual SS but that's about it ,nothing close to my R2R 11 and would agree with this post
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/top...dphone-amplifier.840214/page-18#post-14181371

I switched from Modi 1 and in comparison D50 have more refined bass ,more bloom ,nice high end sparkle and detail courtesy of Sabre chip
Cheers

So, you believe R2R is better DAC? Also which headphone amp are you using with D50?

May 16, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #40 of 1,054
The D50 is really good, but I think the Hifimediy ES9038Pro Dac is better though not as feature-rich. Also, if you are using a PC for the D50, install the XMOS drivers and lower the latency and buffer samples as low as you can. You should get some seriously good microdetails and realism. And use the lowest noise power supply you can find.
Can you suggest some examples of lowest noise power supplies?

May 16, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #41 of 1,054
So, you believe R2R is better DAC? Also which headphone amp are you using with D50?
You can't rely compare them both since R2R11 is true NOS (no op amps,filters,etc.) very coherent,smooth/sexy , pairs very well with planar magnetics - bright cans should behave very nice with this set up (HiFiMan Sundara calling my name)
D50 sounds like OPA1612 (3x) it's not dry ,clear ,good separation and sound-stage,good low end -round + Sabre which gives you that sparkle ,accuracy
I liked it so much that I end up getting cheap amp to roll some op-amps and see what works best ,so far tested OPA2107,OPA2111,OPA2134,..and few more coming soon

All based on testing with only two can's HD650 and LCD-2
I'm pretty sure most will like/love this little D50
Cheers

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #42 of 1,054
Can you suggest some examples of lowest noise power supplies?

LPS (linear power supply ) is always best choice but very expensive and yes you need better power source ,that DC USB cable is a joke (noise ground,polluted background)
I end up getting iPower and power bank (best results )
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z9QVE4Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MQO96U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D9P0Q92/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GNNXP0Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May 16, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #44 of 1,054

D50 + rHead looks like a great combination! :thumbsup:
...I was thinking of the same combo but will probably deviate because I need a setup with crossfeed :-/

May 16, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #45 of 1,054
Got my D50 in yesterday and it's everything I hoped it would be and more. Really amazing performance for $200 (from Massdrop). Even based on relatively short listening periods with my Cavalli Tube Hybrid and HE-560 and HD600, I'd say it's easily the best DAC in my collection and performs well enough that I don't see myself upgrading from it until I'm ready to spend in the quadruple digits. I am intrigued by the ESS 9038 PRO HifimeDIY DAC but quite frankly, I'm extremely satisfied with the D50 thus far, and that's with a simple Aukey 2.4A USB power supply. I wonder how it'll sound with a linear design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back