Topping DX7 - DAC and balanced headphone amplifier
Apr 17, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #256 of 468
I dont agree that the Jot or Lyr compete as they dont offer the same functionality. They just have a small USB add-on and dont offer any of the other connectivity that the DX7s does. They are Amps, with a small, tacked-on USB DAC, where as the DX7s is a DAC first, that also happens to have a HP amp. The Lyr is also not balanced.

I agree the Gustard is much closer in specs and connectivity, but it's also from China and while not over the $1000 mark, it is much much closer. It also doesn't quite match the maximum bitrate of the DX7s and requires the much less common I2S connection to get to peak rates.
Unless you really needed I2S, I think it's a very difficult argument to advocate for the $400+ price increase needed to chose the A20H over then DX7s based on specs. However, I also haven't heard the A20H, perhaps the analog end is better if you're also using it as a HP amp instead of just a dac/pre.

I was referring to the new Jot with multibit Dac it is pretty large upgrade. I would say in the same class as dual Delta Sigma. I heard both Lyr3 and Jot with multibit dac it was very good.
Yes, though non of these including A20H are better than DX7s at its price. But they are under $1000. The new Monoprice THX dual delta sigma will get into this space shortly.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #257 of 468
I was referring to the new Jot with multibit Dac it is pretty large upgrade. I would say in the same class as dual Delta Sigma. I heard both Lyr3 and Jot with multibit dac it was very good.
Yes, though non of these including A20H are better than DX7s at its price. But they are under $1000. The new Monoprice THX dual delta sigma will get into this space shortly.

Aren't the new multi-bit Shiit modules still just USB-only add-on cards? Not even talking about SQ that makes them quite different from input options perspective. For me, the lack of coax was what took the JOT off my list of consideration.
Also, I guess it doesn't ultimately matter if they sound as good as you say they do, but a design taken from a single-ended dac and transplanted into a balanced amp is NOT comparable in my mind to a fully integrated balanced design from end to end. If there's a Shiit DAC that I think is an equivalent comparison, it's going to be something more like the Guny or Yggy.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #258 of 468
Aren't the new multi-bit Shiit modules still just USB-only add-on cards? Not even talking about SQ that makes them quite different from input options perspective. For me, the lack of coax was what took the JOT off my list of consideration.
Also, I guess it doesn't ultimately matter if they sound as good as you say they do, but a design taken from a single-ended dac and transplanted into a balanced amp is NOT comparable in my mind to a fully integrated balanced design from end to end. If there's a Shiit DAC that I think is an equivalent comparison, it's going to be something more like the Guny or Yggy.

Yeah just USB for schiit.

What do you think about this. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24459

Apr 17, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #259 of 468
Yeah just USB for schiit.

What do you think about this. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24459

ooo interesting! That's the first I saw of that. It appears to be using similar "THX" amps that Massdrop did in their stand-alone AMP: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-thx-aaa-789-linear-amplifier. I dont know what the difference between THX "788" and "789" amps are though.

The Massdrop amp also had some impedance matching. It all looked good on paper, but I haven't read any detailed reviews on how it actually sounds.

The Monoprice DAC also uses AKM (like the Gustard) vs Sabre (like the Topping) chips. I dont know much about the differences in characteristics between them. But the specs do look darn near identical.

IN/OUT connectivity also looks good aside from what I'm assuming is a mistake where what looks like XLR "out" are actually labeled as "in"
Inked244592_LI.jpg

So, if the THX 788 amps turn out to be all they're hyped to be, then the Monoprice THX DAC could turn into a really serious competitor to the DX7s: comparable digital section with perhaps a "better" analog section / HP out. Very interesting, another one to keep an eye on for sure.

Not to derail this thread any further, but the new DAC I'm most interested in is the new IDSD PRO. A lot of impressive specs as well as some pretty unique bells and whistles: up-scaling, nifty streaming support, tube and pure digital states... cool stuff, but also needed to justify the $2600 tag.. ouch.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-audio-pro-idsd-the-official-thread.869144/

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #260 of 468
Akm chips are way cheaper than sabre 9038. Also, akm chips are known to be much easier to implement than ess chips, so they are quite popular and many cheap offerings based on the ak are available out there.

One reason I joined the D50 massdrop is because it uses dual sabre 9038. Many people have argued that if ess9038 is properly implemented, it is unbeatable without any glare, while it might be a difficult task.

I haven’t seen any dual ess9038 at $250 which topping d50 offers. Usually it goes above 1k. Schiit offerings are out of my interest because they are based on ak chips, and you can find many alternatives at their price range. In fact, my portable bluetooth dac/amp fiio q5 has the dac section bssed on the dual ak4490

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #261 of 468
Akm chips are way cheaper than sabre 9038. Also, akm chips are known to be much easier to implement than ess chips, so they are quite popular and many cheap offerings based on the ak are available out there.

One reason I joined the D50 massdrop is because it uses dual sabre 9038. Many people have argued that if ess9038 is properly implemented, it is unbeatable without any glare, while it might be a difficult task.

I haven’t seen any dual ess9038 at $250 which topping d50 offers. Usually it goes above 1k. Schiit offerings are out of my interest because they are based on ak chips, and you can find many alternatives at their price range. In fact, my portable bluetooth dac/amp fiio q5 has the dac section bssed on the dual ak4490
Schiit uses multibit no longer AK it's a non Delta sigma DAC. I own the D50 and heard multibit at CanJam last week. Multibit is good better than any AK. I would go to say it's as good as D50 but it's different more smooth and detailed like a mojo. D50 has detailed bass that is forward. Separations is better than multibit. Fun sound.
These are my subjective impressions. I like the D50 but wouldn't have been disappointed in a multibit.

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #262 of 468
Schiit uses multibit no longer AK it's a non Delta sigma DAC. I own the D50 and heard multibit at CanJam last week. Multibit is good better than any AK. I would go to say it's as good as D50 but it's different more smooth and detailed like a mojo. D50 has detailed bass that is forward. Separations is better than multibit. Fun sound.
These are my subjective impressions. I like the D50 but wouldn't have been disappointed in a multibit.

Nice to heard that, I have just sold my modi multibit and my D50 is on the way. The only I would like to get the D50 is: it can be powered with 5V DC USB cable and not as hot as multibit DAC :).

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #264 of 468
Nice to heard that, I have just sold my modi multibit and my D50 is on the way. The only I would like to get the D50 is: it can be powered with 5V DC USB cable and not as hot as multibit DAC :).

Yeah, I got so used to all my electronics getting hot, that it really surprised me when, after hours of use, the DX7s is barely warmer than room temp. It also appears to be pretty well sealed and doesn't have any of the vent holes on top that always worry me about dust infiltration.

May 1, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #265 of 468
Any review on nx7s?

May 18, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #266 of 468
I’ve been loving the DX7 since I purchased it, but there is a huge glaring issue that no one seems to have reported on this model. I primarily bought this unit to use with the optical out on my TV for gaming. It does a stellar job, however I frequently have audio drops where “48Khz” flashes on the unit’s display, which last for about 1-2 seconds before the signal returns to normal.

I reached out to Topping’s customer support on this matter, and this was their reply:

Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

According to our analysis, your DX7 has no problem. We designed DX7 to slowly increase volume of output when sudden input a signal. This will aviod the sudden sounds which make users discomfort. Output of your TV probably will break off and recovered in a short time, but DX7 captured this break off and slowly increase volume at signal's recoverly. So you see this situation, some users who use apple's optical output met similar problem.

They told me that it’s not something I can fix on my end, and would require special tools for a firmware update that only they have access to. I’m super bummed about this, as I literally love everything else about the unit, but the frequent audio drops have made it unusable for me. I have a Schiit Modi 2/Magni 2 combo, Yamaha AVR, a cheap Vizio sound bar... none of these exhibit issues when using optical input, it’s only the DX7.

I know this isn’t a common use case for most people here, but I figured I’d post this as a warning to those planning to use their optical output from their TV on this. I primarily chose the DX7 because it’s one of the few combos with a good remote control, making it ideal for couch usage.

With that said, I do find it strange that no one on the internet has reported this online. Is there anything I can possibly do to fix this issue on my end?

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #267 of 468
IN/OUT connectivity also looks good aside from what I'm assuming is a mistake where what looks like XLR "out" are actually labeled as "in"

While the DX7/DX7s is best viewed as a DAC that has a headphone amplifier, the Monoprice one seems be best viewed as a headphone amp that has a DAC. From the Q&A:
The picture has the two balanced analog lines labeled as 'analog in', shouldn't that be analog out?
BEST ANSWER: The unit has balanced inputs, and unbalanced inputs and outputs. You can use the balanced headphone output on the front as a balanced output.

I’m super bummed about this, as I literally love everything else about the unit, but the frequent audio drops have made it unusable for me. I have a Schiit Modi 2/Magni 2 combo, Yamaha AVR, a cheap Vizio sound bar... none of these exhibit issues when using optical input, it’s only the DX7.
All with the same optical cable? When I was still using my Sound Blaster E5, I noticed glitches when I bent one of my optical cables too much, or that sample rates > 96 kHz wouldn't work with certain adapters from TOSlink to mini-TOSlink and such. So I'm avoiding adapters now, instead using cables with the right termination on both ends. Do you have some more cables to try?

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #268 of 468
All with the same optical cable? When I was still using my Sound Blaster E5, I noticed glitches when I bent one of my optical cables too much, or that sample rates > 96 kHz wouldn't work with certain adapters from TOSlink to mini-TOSlink and such. So I'm avoiding adapters now, instead using cables with the right termination on both ends. Do you have some more cables to try?

Yes, same cable. I’ve tried almost everything on my end that I can think of, but nothing works. It seems to be a known issue on Topping’s end, and I have no option of fixing it with them. It’s so disappointing. I’ll definitely be more reserved about Topping’s products in the future.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #269 of 468
Yes, same cable. I’ve tried almost everything on my end that I can think of, but nothing works. It seems to be a known issue on Topping’s end, and I have no option of fixing it with them. It’s so disappointing. I’ll definitely be more reserved about Topping’s products in the future.
I'd be disappointed, too. Hopefully I have mine soon (getting close to that June 1st ship date), maybe I can reproduce the issue.

Jun 14, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #270 of 468
I’ve been loving the DX7 since I purchased it, but there is a huge glaring issue that no one seems to have reported on this model. I primarily bought this unit to use with the optical out on my TV for gaming. It does a stellar job, however I frequently have audio drops where “48Khz” flashes on the unit’s display, which last for about 1-2 seconds before the signal returns to normal.

I reached out to Topping’s customer support on this matter, and this was their reply:

Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

According to our analysis, your DX7 has no problem. We designed DX7 to slowly increase volume of output when sudden input a signal. This will aviod the sudden sounds which make users discomfort. Output of your TV probably will break off and recovered in a short time, but DX7 captured this break off and slowly increase volume at signal's recoverly. So you see this situation, some users who use apple's optical output met similar problem.

They told me that it’s not something I can fix on my end, and would require special tools for a firmware update that only they have access to. I’m super bummed about this, as I literally love everything else about the unit, but the frequent audio drops have made it unusable for me. I have a Schiit Modi 2/Magni 2 combo, Yamaha AVR, a cheap Vizio sound bar... none of these exhibit issues when using optical input, it’s only the DX7.

I know this isn’t a common use case for most people here, but I figured I’d post this as a warning to those planning to use their optical output from their TV on this. I primarily chose the DX7 because it’s one of the few combos with a good remote control, making it ideal for couch usage.

With that said, I do find it strange that no one on the internet has reported this online. Is there anything I can possibly do to fix this issue on my end?

I recently purchased a Topping D50 and am running across the exact same issue. Seems to work great with usb from computer, but the optical from TV occasionally drops the audio signal, and sometimes very frequently. Did you ever figure out a solution? Love this DAC and would hate to return because of this. Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back