Top 5 wide sound stage headphones
Aug 4, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #61 of 113
I actually am also inclined to say that headphones just don't have much "headstage" or "soundstage" or whatever you want to call it. So many people talk about how a headphone makes them feel like they are sitting 20 rows back from the stage or stuff like that.

I've never experienced these with headphones. Ever. Not even with the HD580 and the K701 which have the "furthest" sounds I've heard in headphones. Even a Stax couldn't fool me, and I heard Stats were really good at this. 

Headphones just always feel to me like the sound is coming from right next to my ear. Even a K701 on a benchmark DAC1 can't fool me into thinking that the sound is coming from speakers in around me or what not. Some still sound a bit "further" than others but that's about it. I *still* know the sound is coming from next to my ear.

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #62 of 113
That's because you are listening to the headphones, not the music! Shift your focus and let your imagination take over.

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #63 of 113
of course headphones don't sound like speakers, how could they?  The driver is right next to your ear, so that's why it sounds like it.  I find instrument seperation is very important, but I don't really find soundstage all that important to music.  It does give you a nice wow factor, and is a bonus if everything else is done right.  But I'd take the right tonal balance over soundstage in a second

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #64 of 113

Quote:
of course headphones don't sound like speakers, how could they?  The driver is right next to your ear, so that's why it sounds like it.  I find instrument seperation is very important, but I don't really find soundstage all that important to music.  It does give you a nice wow factor, and is a bonus if everything else is done right.  But I'd take the right tonal balance over soundstage in a second

Tonal balance first, imaging second, and soundstage size relegated to third - maybe even fourth if I can think of another priority later that may take up matters of more importance (driver agility, there's another one more important than soundstage)...  Agreed, a wow factor.

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #66 of 113

I actually am also inclined to say that headphones just don't have much "headstage" or "soundstage" or whatever you want to call it. So many people talk about how a headphone makes them feel like they are sitting 20 rows back from the stage or stuff like that.

I've never experienced these with headphones. Ever. Not even with the HD580 and the K701 which have the "furthest" sounds I've heard in headphones. Even a Stax couldn't fool me, and I heard Stats were really good at this. 

Headphones just always feel to me like the sound is coming from right next to my ear. Even a K701 on a benchmark DAC1 can't fool me into thinking that the sound is coming from speakers in around me or what not. Some still sound a bit "further" than others but that's about it. I *still* know the sound is coming from next to my ear.

That's because you've never heard a K1000.

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #67 of 113

Quote:

Try Isone Pro and it'll fool you at times :wink:

http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/audio_vst_isone_pro.htm

Head-fi thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/473885/isone-pro-the-best-thing-you-could-ever-get-for-your-headphones-on-your-computer

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #68 of 113

That's because you've never heard a K1000.

Quite frankly, I'm listening to the cleanest Beatles copy I was able to put my dirty hands on(the "Revolver Sessions" mastertape bootleg), I can clearly attest that on the cd3k drivers they're not all stuck to my 2 ears by a long shot! It's like being in the studio w/ the band before my eyes, my brain is completely fooled...a low jitter transport goes a long way, I can tell you that.

I use this crossfeed plugin...simple and effective: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/475007/head-fit-software-crossfeed

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #69 of 113
I'm using Isone Pro. It's good but still not good enough.

K1000...yeah sorry haven't tried one yet. I doubt it can do miracles but I'm always eager to try new cans and maybe, just maybe, find that can that can magically do it.

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #71 of 113
I've heard Billy Joel -  We Didn't Start the Fire out of a Wavelength Crimson -> WA5 Maxxed -> K1000 and it blew my mind. I felt as if I was teleported to the concert live. I've never really experienced anything else like that.

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #72 of 113

Quote:
I've heard Billy Joel -  We Didn't Start the Fire out of a Wavelength Crimson -> WA5 Maxxed -> K1000 and it blew my mind. I felt as if I was teleported to the concert live. I've never really experienced anything else like that.

I should also mention that I've moved on from headphones. I listen to my setup which is a QB-9 to Plinius 9200 -> Volent VL-2s daily and my friend who has the K1000's he uses Wavelength Crimson DAC -> Plinius 9200 -> Dynaudio Confidence C1's. So we obviously like our soundstage but the K1000 is a sound to behold. I imagine to reproduce that kind of quality with speakers we'll have to build a cardas room and use magico mini's. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #73 of 113

Quote:
1.K1000
2.Grado GS1000
3.K701
4.HD800

This is what I have heard.

grado aint even on the top 15 list

Id like to add the sennheiser MX980 in there, or at least in the top 10

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #74 of 113
Something like this:
1. K1000
2. SR-007BL
3. HE90
4. HD800
5. SR-Lambda Signature

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #75 of 113
My five steps list:

1) AKG K1000 (remains my favorite)

2) Ergo AMT (very close)

3) Ergo 2 (for that soundstage of wathever you want to call it or not!)

4) AKG K340 BL

5) Sennheiser Unipolar

smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back