Too much "wasted" space, and too much white.
May 6, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #76 of 109
ok i dont want to be so critical but what the heck is that featured reviews(like the jh13pro on the right side of the screen on main page)?
i feel like i am in freaking amazon.com with "did you find this review helpful?" question!! the same goes to Head gears i feel like i am on headphone.com(a.k.a headroom)! this really makes the site less sophisticated and i feel it is more promotional and advertising.
when i first found headfi through google i thought it was a serious site with hardcore geeks that know audio stuff very well,but now if i stumble across the site for the first time,i would return back to google because i would think that the site doesnt contain useful information and feels like a store that sells headphones!

May 6, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #77 of 109

Quote:
when i first found headfi through google i thought it was a serious site with hardcore geeks that know audio stuff very well

Head-fi is a market and discussion with tons of opionions, many of which are not hardcore geeks that know audio stuff very well.  So I guess the amazon likeness is almost appropriate
frown.gif

Think, where would Little Dot and Audio gd be without head-fi?

Head-fi is the point where hi-fi audio and capitalism meet.

May 6, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #79 of 109
I dislike the wasted space, overly white/bright color scheme, and the lack of bbcode (I'm not a WYSIWYG fan at all).  On the other hand, I do like that some things were added, for instance, the wiki, which I'm sure will be used for DIY guides and such that were previously in forum threads.

May 6, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #80 of 109
I'd say take time adjusting. The new layout was just released, and there's a lot to go through. I'm sure you wouldn't want to by in Jude's shoes trying to manage a forum as big as this.Since someone mentioned CSS, if head-fi uses CSS, then we can probably change stuff around like GameFOX has done for GameFAQs.

I'll take a look and see if I can make a Greasemonkey script... but it's over my head at the moment.

May 6, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #81 of 109

Quote:
crtl scroll wheel will fix a lot of things for you guys damn this white crap though its like staring at the sun i can see the outline of my screen when i look away :frowning2:

word filter not working either :wink:

edit: oh and I hate that ^^ not being able to type the text for a smiley and it translating into the smiley itself..come on this is basic internets imo.

and I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments that this now seems like amazon or a product wiki with a forum attached. Very sad at this. If you look at huddler's website they use scary terms such as 'marketing and media', 'advertisers', 'monetize' 

May 6, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #83 of 109
its so cold here now... I am freezing... have to put my mittens on and sun glasses for the glare... so cold...
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 6, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #84 of 109

Quote:
word filter not working either :wink:

edit: oh and I hate that ^^ not being able to type the text for a smiley and it translating into the smiley itself..come on this is basic internets imo.

and I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments that this now seems like amazon or a product wiki with a forum attached. Very sad at this. If you look at huddler's website they use scary terms such as 'marketing and media', 'advertisers', 'monetize' 

****? :))))

I agree on both points. 

I like the basic layout though, light and airy, and text sizes seem to be about the same as they used to be.

One thing that's annoying me is the white squares behind avatars, doesn't look very nice.

May 6, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #85 of 109
I really like the new look.  it is less cramped and much more relaxing..at least for me.
this is comes from someone who is a total noob in computers and stuff and just want the most comfortable layout and look in order to easely post and enjoy the forum.  i really think you should keep it that way , plain and simple.

May 6, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #86 of 109
Good: My Profile link at the top with link to my posts; preview of last thread post. Bad: The white background is rather overpowering; ads are obtrusive; why do I have a random avatar?! Change is always painful :wink:

May 6, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #87 of 109
Don't think there is much that Greasemonkey could do here... it's a case for Stylish.
Getting rid of all that white is easy:
Code:
 #content-wrapper { background-color: rgb(255,255,225); }
Haven't found how to get the post text back to default size though... as opposed to some people, text actually got smaller for me. (I could get the font size for sigs back up but I'd rather have these smaller...)
BTW, some of the control elements fail to render properly with my 15px minimum font size... classic px fail.
What, HTML code edit instead of BBCode? No direct entry for smilies? Ugh. That's gonna be tough.

May 6, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #88 of 109

Quote:
I really like the new look.  it is less cramped and much more relaxing..at least for me.
this is comes from someone who is a total noob in computers and stuff and just want the most comfortable layout and look in order to easely post and enjoy the forum.  i really think you should keep it that way , plain and simple.

It is such more cramped, everything is shoved in on the left side.
 Now when i see the premade avatars, i think im seeing the same person posting, but its a different person cause now tons of people have these randomly assigned avatars.

May 6, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #89 of 109
My browser takes up only a little more than half of my screen, so I have room on the sides for music player, etc. As a result, I agree that the white bar over on the right is crazy big. I'm leaning to the left in my chair right now so I can see what I'm typing as centered.

Perhaps it's time to get a 3 x 1920x1200 setup? All I need is an excuse 
biggrin.gif

Also, I almost clicked the Wiki button to edit, but that's just something I'll get used to.

I personally like the white, though we'll see if my tune changes tonight when it commences to blind me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back