Too much competition! What headphones should I get for $100-180?
Mar 21, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #17 of 68
"No joke!"

"Don't say you weren't told!"

"The bomb"

Either a troll or a time traveller from the 90's. No joke! Werd to ya mother!

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #18 of 68
If you can manage to find a pair of HD598 for less than 200, you should definitely consider those.  My cousin owns a pair of these and I personally found them to be the most comfortable well rounded headphones I've heard to date (even better than a pair of HD580's that I owned in the past).

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #19 of 68
Mar 25, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #21 of 68
Hey tydus, while I don't have a specific headphone recommendation for you at this time, I'd like to recommend that you do NOT give zardak's recommendation too much credence.  I say this because his preference seems to be heavily biased towards whichever pair of headphones he most recently acquired, essentially his flavor of the month (FOTM).  I'd like to cite the following posts made by zardak to illustrate my point.

Quote:
The ES821EB by ESMOOTH, they are exactly what you're looking for, big open sound stage, crisp natural highs, neutral clear midrange, and totally accurate bass. I've spent over $1200 on seven different pairs of headphones looking for perfection and these are the best of all of them, there is no need for me to spend any more looking for better ones, these are as good as it gets regardless of price.
I have checked out all the Sennheiser range and many others, none of them match these. I was an obsessed nut finding fault with everything i bought, listening critically for hours and comparing, i even have a pair of Sennheiser 449's right here in front of me and in an A/B they do not compare with these ESMOOTH

Okay, so it seems that as of March 22nd, 2012, the ESMOOTH ES821EB is "as good as it gets regardless of price".

Quote:
I have the 449's and I concur with the posters review. ... I can't really see how headphones could get much better than this to be honest, and i have used and tried a LOT of headphones, always finding fault with them, but these, well, bloody brilliant!

Oh wait, hold on.  On the VERY SAME DAY (March 22nd, 2012), it now seems like the Sennheiser HD 449 is at the top of the heap.  Since he "can't really see how headphones could get much better" than the HD 449, it's at least as good as the aformentioned ESMOOTH ES821EB right?

You know, we can't actually be sure about that.  His previous post, from the same day, also said that he has "checked out all the Sennheiser range and many others, none of them match" the ESMOOTH ES821EB.  He even said that he had "a pair of Sennheiser 449's right here in front of me and in an A/B they do not compare with these ESMOOTH."

Hey, we all get confounded sometimes I guess.  No harm there.

Quote:
Hi, I have the AKG K81, Esmooth 821EB, and Sennheiser 449's, but i find these 439's to be better than all of them.

Oh... okay I get it.  The HD 439 is the best.  The ones that came before, not so much.  Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
Currently i am using  "Kicker HP 541," ever since buying those my search is over, they outperform nearly everything on the market and are better than everything i have ever tried, better than Beats by Dre better than any Sennheiser better than Audio-Technica ATH M50, trust me, if you want a top-notch reference-class headphone that outperforms all others for very low price, just get these, and i am deadly serious, and your problem is solved, simple as that. $129 They are total class, quality plus, you will not be disappointed, i stake my life on it, they are world-class, i have compared them to everything, so your good to go, just buy these.

Whoa!  The Kicker HP541 can "outperform nearly everything on the market and are better than everything i have ever tried."  Okay, not the ESMOOTH ES821EB, or the Sennheiser HD 449, or even the Sennheiser HD 439.  You better get these then.  Oh don't worry "you will not be disappointed" because he stakes his life on it.

Quote:
I have the Denons and they sound better than anything else i have ever owned, period. I find them like a drug when i am listening to them, they simply never put a foot wrong and stay true to the source music better than any headphone i've listened to and i've listened to them all ... The Denons have clarity all round, 'accurate' tone all over, nice punchy bass, excellent stereo imaging, and fast dynamic response to frequency transients, simply unbeatable i reckon. My Grado's and all my other headphone brands now have to take a back-seat, simple as that.

Yeah... okay... not the Kicker HP541 then.  Okay so completely disregard what he said about the ESMOOTH ES821EB, Sennheiser HD 449, Sennheiser HD 439 and Kicker HP541.  The Denon AH-D1100 seems to "sound better than anything else" he has "ever owned, period."  In fact, they Denon AH-D1100 is "simply unbeatable" he reckons.

Quote:
...and one that is a no-brainer is the Shure SRH550DJ, the Shures are nigh on perfect ... I even closely compared the Shures with the latest Monster-diamond series III headphones from Beats by Dre and the Shures are easily as good in every way, but the beats by dre have harder thumping (slightly unnatural) bass; and i also compared the Shures to the Beyer&Wilkins P5 (which Beyer says has space-age new technology in them) but the Shures simply kick-ass all round, they back down to no one.

Oops.  Forget the Denon AH-D1100.  And obviously you shouldn't even be thinking about the ESMOOTH ES821EB, Sennheiser HD 449, Sennheiser HD 439 or Kicker HP541 anymore.  Here we go, the Shure SRH550DJ is the one to get.  They are "nigh on perfect" and "they back down to no one" - heck they even beat "the latest Monster-diamond series III headphones from Beats by Dre."  That's it, burn this house down.  We have a winner!

Quote:
If you want an alternative, which is also top-notch, the Ultrasone HFI-580, i'm not playing games here man ... these two are as close as you'll get, believe me, not Sennheiser not Grado not nothing can match these two, they are the Bomb.

Well... except for that Ultrasone HFI-580.  Okay the Shure SRH550DJ and the Ultrasone HFI-580 can share the top spot.  You better hurry up and get one or both of them because he's "not playing games here man."

It's all up to you tydus, you can do whatever you like,  However, I believe there's a decent chance that neither the Shure SRH550DJ nor the Ultrasone HFI-580 will be the best.  I suppose we'll have to wait to see which headphone zardak gets next.

Quote:
Have you ever considered that i might not actually be a troll? That is your evil thinking, not mine. Just because i have adamant and passionate opinions about headphones i like, that does not make me a troll. Accusations are very easy to make, plus that troll banner is bandied around far to much at people who think for themselves and don't agree like a zombie robot with everyone else. Was Einstein a troll for coming up with the theory of relativity. Morons like you are the type of mass-mentality monkeys who persecute and bully others for being different. Why don't you change your attitude and thinking.

And BTW, all of you guys calling zardak a troll, you might want to take it back.  If you don't recant your "evil thinking" he might just call you a "moron" or "mass-mentality monkey" while he implies himself to be an "Einstein."  Y'all wouldn't want that would you?

zardak, if you don't want the above to sound nearly as bad as it does, I HEAVILY recommend that you go back and edit all of your previous posts now.  That way, you can deny all this later and assault my credibility.  Just sayin' that'd be the smart move.  Of course, doing so would put an "edited by" timestamp on all of those posts that are dated later than this post.  So people might see through it anyway.  But hey, worth a shot maybe?

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #22 of 68
Ahhh you fed the troll .... 
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #23 of 68
I'm afraid I did. 
redface.gif
  My powers of restraint have failed me this day. 
frown.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #24 of 68
Obviously he's the guy from Memento, as he can't remember anything for more than 5-10 minutes.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #25 of 68

zardak: I'd normally delete this, as attacking others as you have (such as by calling them "fanboys") is not allowed here and, not to mention, warrenpchi's post would be considered out-of-line too. However, he is right. Something to consider is this: When you give advice to people here, you end up influencing how they will spend their money. If you give bad advice, they may spend it on something unsuitable and be unhappy. Then you bare some responsibility for that. I strongly advice being conservative in how you give impressions and be sure to state that they are only your experiences as what you like isn't a statement of absolute truth.

tydus: I suggest the two most important things to consider are this: What music you listen to and how loud you listen. That's really 90% of it. I know I listen at relatively low volumes to a wide range of music and value detail, so I know how to select headphones that suit me for that. Something like the V-MODAs are designed by a club DJ who listens loud. He deliberately designed them with more bass and weaker treble to firstly emulate the feeling inside a club and secondly to avoid hearing damage that can occur from the strong treble peaks that so many headphones have. Not surprisingly they are most suited to club music, though the M80s and M100s work well with a wider variety of genres. However, they are suited more to modern recordings that are somewhat bright in the way they are mastered.

Ultrasones tend to be VERY V-shaped in sound. They have piercing highs and strong bass. Some people like this, some don't. A popular choice for rock has been Grados due to their more forward mids, which brings out, say, the vocals and guitars more, but they aren't closed headphones unfortunately. "DJ"-type headphones are often somewhat less V-shaped, but YMMV as some have stronger bass than others. The Shures I thought were more mid-forward the times I tried them. The amount of bass will vary somewhat with what you plug them in to. Unfortunately I don't have experience with the M50s.

You can embed Youtube videos here (look for the "filmstrip" button if you're using the advanced editor). Maybe if you share some of the music you like and those of us with a few pairs of headphones in your price range (including zardak) can give their impressions of the music with their headphones.

By the way: My next chance to read this thread will be in 8 hours. Until then, be civil people. If I wake up to find a bunch of abusive posts I wont be happy and may end up showing someone the door...

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #26 of 68
Quote:

zardak: I'd normally delete this, as attacking others as you have (such as by calling them "fanboys") is not allowed here and, not to mention, warrenpchi's post would be considered out-of-line too. However, he is right. Something to consider is this: When you give advice to people here, you end up influencing how they will spend their money. If you give bad advice, they may spend it on something unsuitable and be unhappy. Then you bare some responsibility for that. I strongly advice being conservative in how you give impressions and be sure to state that they are only your experiences as what you like isn't a statement of absolute truth.

tydus: I suggest the two most important things to consider are this: What music you listen to and how loud you listen. That's really 90% of it. I know I listen at relatively low volumes to a wide range of music and value detail, so I know how to select headphones that suit me for that. Something like the V-MODAs are designed by a club DJ who listens loud. He deliberately designed them with more bass and weaker treble to firstly emulate the feeling inside a club and secondly to avoid hearing damage that can occur from the strong treble peaks that so many headphones have. Not surprisingly they are most suited to club music, though the M80s and M100s work well with a wider variety of genres. However, they are suited more to modern recordings that are somewhat bright in the way they are mastered.

Ultrasones tend to be VERY V-shaped in sound. They have piercing highs and strong bass. Some people like this, some don't. A popular choice for rock has been Grados due to their more forward mids, which brings out, say, the vocals and guitars more, but they aren't closed headphones unfortunately. "DJ"-type headphones are often somewhat less V-shaped, but YMMV as some have stronger bass than others. The Shures I thought were more mid-forward the times I tried them. The amount of bass will vary somewhat with what you plug them in to. Unfortunately I don't have experience with the M50s.

You can embed Youtube videos here (look for the "filmstrip" button if you're using the advanced editor). Maybe if you share some of the music you like and those of us with a few pairs of headphones in your price range (including zardak) can give their impressions of the music with their headphones.

By the way: My next chance to read this thread will be in 8 hours. Until then, be civil people. If I wake up to find a bunch of abusive posts I wont be happy and may end up showing someone the door...

Nicely done!  Diplomatic and informative.  Kudos!

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #27 of 68
Quote:
Obviously he's the guy from Memento, as he can't remember anything for more than 5-10 minutes.

You know, it's probably because I wasn't paying close attention at the time, but I had the hardest time understanding that flick on the first watch-through. 

Quote:
warrenpchi's post would be considered out-of-line too  

On that note, I'd like to apologize to you zardak if I've come across as being particularly rude or snarky.  That was not my primary goal in posting.  I believe that Currawong has stated what I originally meant to say in a matter of only a few sentences.  Please let his remarks serve as what I had meant to say. 
smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Nicely done!  Diplomatic and informative.  Kudos!

+1, definitely. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back