Tony Bennett Signature Edition Headphones
Oct 14, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #31 of 89
I gotta say I don't feel bad for her. That may seem cold hearted but hey she was stealing. She deserves to get jail time for doing damage to Koss and the people she knows. I've always been a supporter of Koss as I grew up with the PRO4AA and man this really makes me hurt for the company. I really hope Koss won't go under because of her.

Quote:
Given what Tony Bennett has been quoted saying recently, this may not improve Koss's sales as much as they think.  Seems to me they're scraping bottom trying to recover from near-bankruptcy.  I cringe every time I think of my Koss stock going to pay for $20 million in clothes in that woman's warehouse.
mad.gif

(Now it's $34 Million?):
http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2010/07/26/daily24.html?page=all

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #32 of 89
Well said Zombie!,the pro 4 aa's have superb bass for the models age [never listened to the T's,but look like thier using Pro 4 X drivers],I only wish thet still made the liquid filled pads. I remember Radio Shack carried the classic Pro 4 aa's for years,and is actually where I bought my first pair 35 years ago

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #33 of 89

Quote:
I gotta say I don't feel bad for her. That may seem cold hearted but he she was stealing. She deserves to get jail time for doing damage to Koss and the people she knows. I've always been a supporter of Koss as I grew up with the PRO4AA and man this really makes me hurt for the company. I really hope Koss won't go under because of her. 

Agreed.  While I started out with the Pro4AA in the early 70's, then went to Pro4AAA's and Pro4X's, I don't really like their current full-size offerings.  Nevertheless, I have about two dozen KSC-75's.  I hope they don't go under, either.  Using Tony Bennett as an endorsement and then Photoshopping the headphones onto his picture gives me pause, though ... maybe subterfuge is endemic.

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #34 of 89

Actually, these don't look half bad. I've never tried the DJ100s, but I think I might have to start here :)
Quote:
More pictures

Looks like:Same pads(?)Detachable cableCarrying caseDuets downloadComes out on the 20th for $150Seems like they're using the DJ100 driver, but Koss says "They have similar attributes but the performance and key components are unique."

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #35 of 89
It's tempting because I tend to fall for value-adds like a case and a removable cable.  But the markup on this (assuming it's the same headphone, or similar enough) puts the price into unjustifiable.  Claims of "performance and key components"  may very well refer to the extra features.  I'm willing to wait for tdock or someone else to let us know how different it is.

Sure, I bought a Q701 instead of a K, but the prices were just about the same.

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #36 of 89
I'm buying these next week so will let you know how they sound .Most listeners of the Pro DJ100's complain of it's lack of bass,but Koss claims the Tony Bennett's are an improvement with ''dynamic bass'' as they describe them.

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #37 of 89
PRODJ100's lacking bass?!?! That's just plain insanity! They have oodles of bass.

Quote:
I'm buying these next week so will let you know how they sound .Most listeners of the Pro DJ100's complain of it's lack of bass,but Koss claims the Tony Bennett's are an improvement with ''dynamic bass'' as they describe them.

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #38 of 89
They're still tempting me and since I seem to be the resident DJ100 fanboy here I should have gotten them by now.
It's hard to want to buy them when I already have one too many DJ100s and I've recabled them so many times already.

The removable cable is so tempting though.

I still find it amusing when people say the DJ100 lacks bass. This image of them connecting it to a tiny tiny 512mb mp3 player the size of a dime pops into my head
normal_smile%20.gif

Well, duh. The DJ100 still has less bass than the newer M50 though. A little less, but extends further down I think. M50 definitely has more mid-bass. Not a fan of massive mid-bass humps and it's distracting.

I'm still a believer that the DJ100 needs an amp. At least for good bass.
Sounds horrible straight out of my Cowon iaudio 7. On my Sansa View they're OK, but there is not enough volume.
Sansa View/Ipod Touch + E5 is enough I think.

With the M50 pads, the DJ100 is just under bass heavy. Almost there, but not quite. M50 pads seem to add in a tiny bit of extra bass. Not enough to be a problem.

FYI some DJ100s and maybe the Toney Bennet Edition need some burn-in. You can do it on your head if you want
darthsmile.gif

Koss told me they use a Titanium driver, but it's hard to know for sure. Someday I'd like to find out if they share drivers with other Koss headphones. I don't think so.
Maybe the Pro3AAT, but that thing has way too much bass.

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #39 of 89
I was just over checking out the other thread you did with these and have to say you've got me curious for sure now. Hard to beat that warranty.

Thanks for the review and heads up on this one. Wonder how the improvements will be, if anyone should be able to tell it would be you. ( c'mon go buy one )
I totally understand your description of the sound. Nice work.
At least there's some history behind it: I just peeked at their site, according to the info there he actually used them back in the day. 85 now !

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #40 of 89
I left a comment on Koss's Facebook page stating ''I plan on purchasing these next week,are you sure these aren't just DJ100s with Tony's name stamped on them,if so that's quite a price difference''.I never recieved a response,so I'm assuming they are.

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #41 of 89
^ Remember though...you ARE paying for the extras. None of it comes free. I imagine it's all marked up because of the case, detachable cable and album download ($12 on CD). Then of course for the signature
biggrin.gif

For those that don't have a DJ100 and don't mind paying for the extras, it may be worth it.

Just look at the AKG K240 Studio and all the variations they have. They also charge up to $50 for different variations and extra pads/cables.

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #42 of 89
It would be nice to get an actual physical CD with the box rather than a bunch of file downloads. Good luck with the purchase and definitely check back in. Are they limited/numbered? You'd at least hope they were numbered.

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #43 of 89
Nothing indicated that thier limited editions,I think Koss would want to sell as many as possible to re coop thier losses,specially after thier former dragon lady took them to the cleaners.Just surprised no one has reviewed these yet after close to a months release,Amazon has no users comments either.

I'm having second thoughts about buying them,think I'll just buy the DJ100s instead.

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #44 of 89
Noticed today they're $129 on HSN or 3 payments of $43. 4 of $32 or so.

Oh and there's finally a review of them on there. Another person from Michigan and it's not me
normal_smile%20.gif

They have a video of them trying to sell them. What's funny is that the sound is screwed up (on the video) and they spend some much time ignoring how they actually sound. They repeat everything over and over and over. Oh well.
The thing they said about the signature was that it had "Rich Bass" and that "Koss sound"
biggrin.gif

Only thing that interests me is the detachable cable and being able to try out lots of other cables. There's still internal wires going to the driver, but swapping cables find still offer some improvements.

BTW they're listed as being made in China. I always thought Koss stuff was build in the USA, but I guess not. Anyone know? Definitely not on the box of my DJ100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back