To wait or not to wait. that is the question
Jan 2, 2011 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

afinch1992

100+ Head-Fier
I just got the m-audio q40s and I am very happy that I did. However, being a newly discovered audiophile, I want more. I have decided that my next major pair of phones will more than likely be the beyer dt770s. However, I like the idea of crazy bass phones for special sessions like the xb500. my question is, do you guys think it would be more advantageous to pay around $40-$50 for a pair of xb500s now, or wait a few months and get the beyers? I'm also not sure if keeping the q40s would be smart if i get the beyers. I could try to sell the q40s to get the 770s. I think I would go ahead and get the xb500s if they were around $30, but I haven't found any used ones for sale in a while (including ebay). any suggestions are much appreciated.

edit: I am a very big basshead, but still enjoy my mids and highs being intact. also, I'm a poor college student, so thats why im kind of budgeting myself so precisely.

edit 2: it would be the 80phm pros probably. i also have a pa2v2 on the way from gary if that affects anything 

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 7
DT770's are better in comfort, but the XB500's have so much more bass. Both would work well with the amp you're getting though.

Keep in mind the DT770's sound airy because of the expansive soundstage compared to the XB500's. Some people like that, and others do not. Whichever pair you go with, give em time to burn in before deciding whether or not you like. Good luck, and sorry about your wallet!

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 7
i dont think i ever really understood the sorry about your wallet statement until i came here. Now i understand completely.
I think ill just have to wait for someone to sell their xb500s on here used before I can get them though (i can't make a wtb yet). They dont seem to be up for sale that often used. a good sign i guess

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 7
I feel your pain... how foolish I was, to think I'd be satisfied with one lonely headphone..

In any case, at least the wait will help you get better acquainted with the Q40's--they might not see much use once you find a pair of the Sony's.

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
I feel your pain... how foolish I was, to think I'd be satisfied with one lonely headphone..

In any case, at least the wait will help you get better acquainted with the Q40's--they might not see much use once you find a pair of the Sony's.

good point. i dont think i would use the q40s nearly as much if i got the sonys

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 7
i think ill have to wait til i get the amp to make a final decision too

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 7
If you are a basshead, but need to find an "all round" can, you should at least consider the XB-700.
It may not have as much bass as the XB-500, but it is better balanced overall with deeper bass.

The DT-770, awesome as they are, does not have as much bass as the XB-700.
So, the XB-700 would be right between the Beyer and the other Sony for bass.
Good compromise I would think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back