To crossfeed or not to crossfeed? That is the question...
Jan 23, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #1,621 of 2,146
contrary to audiophile belief, there is rarely (if ever) AN artistic intent. In any given track there are likely to be hundreds of artistic intents; some overt, some subliminal, some are very specific, some are not (they cover a "range") and some artistic intentions aren't even intentional, as contradictory as that might appear

In the era prior to recording, the goal was to NOT have a specific artistic intent. The performer or conductor would INTERPRET the music. On one night the music might sound one way and on another it might sound quite different, because that's how the musicians felt it. Recording brought in the desire among collectors to own the "one and true" version of a piece of music. Chasing after that is a fool's errand. There are "good" versions and "bad" versions, but if there is only one "true" version, that means the music is as dead as a doornail. I look for energy and expression in a performance and fidelity and balance in a recording. Personally, I think it would be better if rock artists did multiple live versions of their albums. I got the Allman Bros Fillmore East box with every concert of their run, and the box set of Zappa's famous Halloween show in New York, and I don't want to pick which concert is the best. I listen to all of them and they are all good for different reasons.

I can use my own head to figure out the intentions of the artist.

You could always drop them an email and ask them if they want you to listen to their music on headphones with crossfeed! But I bet you wouldn't like the answers and stick with your own solipsist idea of "artistic intent".

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #1,622 of 2,146
1 --- I can use my own head to figure out the intentions of the artist. Good art encapsulates intent and meaning.
Why, because you're psychic?
2 --- I don't think I am familiar with this artist, but I listened to the track "Rain" on Spotify which doesn't list any album named "Hotel Luna", but the "Rain" track is listed on album "Pianissimo" from 1990. Track named "Hotel Luna" is found on 1992 album "The Private Music of Suzanne Ciani". Anyway I don't hear any raindrops on the track "Rain". Maybe they are too quiet for my hearing? All I hear is piano and some high pitched synthetic sounds. I don't like how the track sounds on headphones without crossfeed, but crossfeed level -3 dB seems to work nicely for me. The track Hotel Luna is decent new age.
Assuming you found the original all-electronic version as on the Hotel Luna CD, the raindrops she refers to are musical representations of raindrops, not actual drops of water.
Ah HA! So...you Can't use your head to figure out the artist intentions! You just disproved 1. without any help from me.

Jan 24, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #1,623 of 2,146
[1] personally I don't think crossfeed is attacking artistic intent, on the contrary I think it is protecting the artistic intent. ...
[1a] That's why I feel like I am protecting the artist using crossfeed: "Hey you artist X, you overlooked large ILD when producing your music, but don't worry! I use crossfeed to fix it to enjoy your music fully."
[1b] It took me two decades after studying the science of spatial hearing to realize how it reveals a potential problem in headphone sound so it's not surprising for me if the whole thing has always been more or less overlooked in music production.
[2] When I compare the original sound to sound crossfed at proper level it's hard for me to understand why the original sound represents the artistic intent more closely than the crossfed version.
[2a] Much more plausible for me is the assumption of music production culture ...

1. This statement and the one quoted in #1a, is an excellent demonstration of the point I was trying to make in post #1617. In fact it's hard to think of a better demonstration! You've invented a conclusion that seems logical to you but clearly you are ignorant of the process and your conclusion is actually nonsense. For example:
1a. You seem to have the bizarre notion that the process of "producing music" is some engineer in a studio who doesn't understand what he's doing, throwing together a mix on speakers in a few hours and overlooking "large" things. While workflows can vary considerably, your "notion" is partially correct, the initial phase of mixing IS typically the creation of a (rough) mix in an hour or two but what you are ignoring (or ignorant of) is the rest of the mixing process, which is the vast majority! After this initial phase the producer is brought in, for a number of subsequent phases that typically take anywhere from a few days to a month. By the end of the mixing process there will have been a number of (rough) mixes created, each more refined than the last, listened to and analysed in minute detail by a number of people (the engineer, producer and typically one or more of the musicians/artists) on a variety of playback equipment. By the time the final mix is achieved, the engineer and producer will have heard the track hundreds of times and EVERY element and process in the mix will have been tweaked to an accuracy of half a dB or so. Then of course it's off to another studio and another engineer (the mastering studio and engineer) for further analysis and tweaking at an even more minute level. In all of this lengthy process, performed by a number of highly trained/experienced professionals, much of which is near, at and even BEYOND the limits of human audibility, the notion that they've all "overlooked" a "problem" that is ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE compared to every other aspect of the mix/master is just pure nonsense! I'm not saying it's impossible that a large ILD has been overlooked but certainly as a general rule, if a mix has a "large ILD" the vast majority of the time it is NOT because it's been "overlooked", it's there because it's intended to be there.
1b. Two decades, you're joking? When I started studying sound engineering, it took me about 2 minutes, as it does pretty much every new music engineering student! You have previously admitted you have no formal training, no professional experience and know next to nothing about commercial music production but here you are making grand sweeping (FALSE) assertions about those of us who do it professionally for a living. What an excellent example of TYPICAL audiophile nonsense: Make-up an assertion to justify a belief/agenda and then defend it to the death, regardless of the fact that it contradicts the actual facts and that it requires those who do it for a living, with years of formal training/experience (and all of the education systems which provided that training) are ALL more ignorant than an audiophile who admits near total ignorance. If that's not delusional, I don't know what is!

2. And there we have it! You are effectively stating that because "it's hard for you to understand" then it can't be true, while your made-up, unsupported alternative (#2a), which contradicts professional practice (and the facts/evidence) must be true. A rational mind would obviously question their understanding but clearly, a strongly held agenda/belief precludes a rational mind! So round and round we go, AGAIN!
2a. Exactly! You make-up an assumption of music production culture which must be true because it's more plausible to you, DESPITE self admittedly being ignorant of commercial music production, never having even witnessed commercial music production culture, let alone been a member of it and contradicting those who have been a member of that culture for their entire working lives. Your response is pretty much a PERFECT example of what I stated in the first paragraph of my post #1617, so thanks!
I can use my own head to figure out the intentions of the artist. Good art encapsulates intent and meaning.

Yes, good art does encapsulate intent and meaning but artists' ability to communicate ALL their intent and meaning is limited. Not even history's greatest artists were able to communicate all their intents and not even the most expert analysts can uncover them all. You have no training or professional experience of creating artistic intent (in a commercial music product) but of course, you're an audiophile with a belief/agenda and therefore you can achieve what no other human can! How many times have we seen such nonsense assertions in this subforum, audiophiles who can easily hear sound well into the ultrasonic range, noise that's a 1,000 times below the noise floor or a thousandths of a dB difference between cables? And, how many times have you yourself argued against such nonsense assertions? Sure, we can all figure out some of the intentions of the artist, if we couldn't we wouldn't be able to differentiate music from semi-random noise but you're deluding yourself if you believe you can figure out all the intents of the artists, as @pinnahertz has demonstrated to you!

[1] In the era prior to recording, the goal was to NOT have a specific artistic intent. The performer or conductor would INTERPRET the music.
[2] On one night the music might sound one way and on another it might sound quite different, because that's how the musicians felt it.
[3] Recording brought in the desire among collectors to own the "one and true" version of a piece of music. Chasing after that is a fool's errand. There are "good" versions and "bad" versions, but if there is only one "true" version, that means the music is as dead as a doornail. I look for energy and expression in a performance and fidelity and balance in a recording.
[4] Personally, I think it would be better if rock artists did multiple live versions of their albums.

1. We have relatively little evidence of performance styles prior to the recording era. What we do know/deduce is that interpretation was generally more free/variable than it is today but certainly there has been a goal of specific artistic intent going back centuries but almost never only specific artistic intent, it was virtually always accompanied with other artistic intents that were less specific.

2. That's not necessarily true, in fact in some circumstances it would be impossible. With an orchestra for example we've got 60+ musicians, all potentially "feeling it" somewhat differently, this is why orchestras require a conductor in the first place. The music might sound slightly different on another night but can't change by much (without further detailed rehearsal) otherwise the end result is likely to be a complete mess. This isn't the case with genres such as jazz, which is structured and organised differently but then jazz didn't exist before the era of recording.

3. Certainly recording has restricted the variability of interpretation. A radical interpretation is going to seem particularly shocking to an audience accustomed to recordings of more traditional interpretations. There's still space somewhat different interpretations though, if there wasn't then classical music would be dead as a doornail and conductors could all be replaced with robotic arms.

4. Oh dear, I don't. In fact most rock artists simply can't do live versions of their albums, it's wasn't/isn't humanly possible as they're reliant on studio techniques that couldn't/can't be applied in real time. Therefore a live performance might be better in some respects but worse in others. My preference is generally for both live and studio versions, although it depends on the exact nature (construction/arrangement/etc.) of the rock song/track.

G

Jan 24, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #1,624 of 2,146
Assuming you found the original all-electronic version as on the Hotel Luna CD, the raindrops she refers to are musical representations of raindrops, not actual drops of water.
Ah HA! So...you Can't use your head to figure out the artist intentions! You just disproved 1. without any help from me.

I haven't even tried to figure out her intentions. I listened to the track + the other track to know what you are talking about. I commended that for me level -3 dB crossfeed works well, whatever her intentions are. I thought she has mixed recordings of real rain into a track, but that wasn't the case. I did not listen to the track on speakers so I don't know how her synthetic raindrop sound on speakers.

Jan 24, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #1,625 of 2,146
You seem to have the bizarre notion that the process of "producing music" is some engineer in a studio who doesn't understand what he's doing, throwing together a mix on speakers in a few hours and overlooking "large" things. While workflows can vary considerably, your "notion" is partially correct, the initial phase of mixing IS typically the creation of a (rough) mix in an hour or two but what you are ignoring (or ignorant of) is the rest of the mixing process, which is the vast majority! After this initial phase the producer is brought in, for a number of subsequent phases that typically take anywhere from a few days to a month. By the end of the mixing process there will have been a number of (rough) mixes created, each more refined than the last, listened to and analysed in minute detail by a number of people (the engineer, producer and typically one or more of the musicians/artists) on a variety of playback equipment. By the time the final mix is achieved, the engineer and producer will have heard the track hundreds of times and EVERY element and process in the mix will have been tweaked to an accuracy of half a dB or so. Then of course it's off to another studio and another engineer (the mastering studio and engineer) for further analysis and tweaking at an even more minute level. In all of this lengthy process, performed by a number of highly trained/experienced professionals, much of which is near, at and even BEYOND the limits of human audibility, the notion that they've all "overlooked" a "problem" that is ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE compared to every other aspect of the mix/master is just pure nonsense! I'm not saying it's impossible that a large ILD has been overlooked but certainly as a general rule, if a mix has a "large ILD" the vast majority of the time it is NOT because it's been "overlooked", it's there because it's intended to be there.

G

I have never said music is mixed within a few hours. For me it takes COUNTLESS of hours to mix my own music. Just one track can take hours and if you have say 30-40 tracks in your song, it takes easily 100 hours to mix the whole thing! Most of the time I mix using 1 dB accuracy, but there are certain sounds that require 0.5 dB accuracy. I think this accuracy is good enough, because I am not a professional mixer, but I do this as a hobby.

Also, how music is produced in 2020 is VERY different from say 1980! Nowadays attention to ILD is actually paid. Not so much in 1980. The tools are so different. Mixing Dua Lipa more or less correctly ILD-wise* today doesn't fix Genesis or Kansas tracks from the 70's. Less known/commercially successful artists don't have the luxury of having all the steps you lay out here. Classical music is imo rarely headphone ready as it is no matter how new productions we are talking about.

* It's a balance between "as wide and spacious" sound as possible and headphone suitability so that the ILD levels are a notch above the optimal levels. It means listening to these modern pop track without crossfeed is "ok", but using weak crossfeed can in my opinion improve headphone spatiality a little bit.

Jan 24, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #1,626 of 2,146
Two decades, you're joking? When I started studying sound engineering, it took me about 2 minutes, as it does pretty much every new music engineering student! You have previously admitted you have no formal training, no professional experience and know next to nothing about commercial music production but here you are making grand sweeping (FALSE) assertions about those of us who do it professionally for a living. What an excellent example of TYPICAL audiophile nonsense: Make-up an assertion to justify a belief/agenda and then defend it to the death, regardless of the fact that it contradicts the actual facts and that it requires those who do it for a living, with years of formal training/experience (and all of the education systems which provided that training) are ALL more ignorant than an audiophile who admits near total ignorance. If that's not delusional, I don't know what is!

G

When I learned about spatial hearing in the university the context was how our hearing decodes the directions of sound sources. The context assumed sounds to have correct spatial cues (real physical sound sources) and how our hearing decodes those correct cues. I had zero reason to think about what all of this means in regards of headphone listening. I was into speakers. The context was not spatial cues in music production. At the time I had TONS of other stuff to figure out in my university studies such as Einstein's relativity, quantum physics and analyse of electronic circuits. Things YOU perhaps where not occupied by when you understood whatever you understood in 2 minutes! Also, your studies probably presented these things in a little bit different context making it easier for you to figure some things out. I have been thinking and figuring out a lot of things over the years, but it never was headphone spatiality until 2012 when "the next thing on my list of things to think about" happened to be headphone spatiality and it when that happened it didn't take me 2 minutes to realize the problem of excessive ILD. It took me maybe 3 seconds! So, I was 2 decades "late" just because headphone spatiality happened to be so damn far down on my list of things to think about.

I may not have the exact same training you have, but I have an university degree. So please don't try to imply I am an idiot not knowing anything about anything!

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #1,627 of 2,146
We have relatively little evidence of performance styles prior to the recording era.

Sure we do. In the 19th century a lot was written on the styles and performance habits of conductors. It was the era of the romantic superstar conductor (even moreso than Karajan!) Newspapers would run reviews, complete with timing for movements and notes on whether repeats were taken or not. I find pre-recording era performance styles to be very interesting. The same conductor could take a radically different approach to the same work at two different times. The closest thing we have to that in the modern era is Stokowski.

There was one 19th century conductor who led the orchestra from an overstuffed chair surrounded by silk handkerchiefs and bottles of perfume. He would swoon at the ends of performances sometimes. I wish I could remember his name. He was a real character. The way conductors were perceived and their purpose was much different in the late 19th century than either before or after that time. It was the golden age of the cult of the maestro. Instrumentalists too. Franz Liszt was like a rock star with women throwing themselves at him. The more traditional kapelmeisters existed then too, but they weren't the stars. Today the kapelmeisters are the stars.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #1,630 of 2,146
I have never said music is mixed within a few hours. For me it takes COUNTLESS of hours to mix my own music. Just one track can take hours and if you have say 30-40 tracks in your song, it takes easily 100 hours to mix the whole thing! Most of the time I mix using 1 dB accuracy, but there are certain sounds that require 0.5 dB accuracy. I think this accuracy is good enough, because I am not a professional mixer, but I do this as a hobby.

Also, how music is produced in 2020 is VERY different from say 1980! Nowadays attention to ILD is actually paid. Not so much in 1980.
Um...how exactly would you know this? (answer: you wouldn't).
The tools are so different. Mixing Dua Lipa more or less correctly ILD-wise* today doesn't fix Genesis or Kansas tracks from the 70's.
"Fixing" implies it's "broken", which they aren't. Would you want to "fix" a Monet because today's paints encompass a different color gamut? Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's broken and should be fixed for everyone.
Less known/commercially successful artists don't have the luxury of having all the steps you lay out here. Classical music is imo rarely headphone ready as it is no matter how new productions we are talking about.
Thank you for clarifying that. IMO, having recorded classical music, and listened on headphones, it's mostly just fine as is.
* It's a balance between "as wide and spacious" sound as possible and headphone suitability so that the ILD levels are a notch above the optimal levels. It means listening to these modern pop track without crossfeed is "ok", but using weak crossfeed can in my opinion improve headphone spatiality a little bit.
There. Clarified the confusion between the absolute, and the subjective opinion. "...opinions are like ********. Everyone's got one... (Harry Callahan) (google the rest of it).

I gotta major Deja Vu here. I could swear this dirt road has been traveled before, likely in this or a similar thread.

Jan 24, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #1,631 of 2,146
<snip>
I may not have the exact same training you have, but I have an university degree. So please don't try to imply I am an idiot not knowing anything about anything!
Not going to bother addressing the rest of your post.

Having a university degree means you have a university degree. It doesn't prove knowlege or intelligence, it proves you met certain requirements. It also doesn't directly compare with others who have decades in the business, the art of audio, or research. Apples vs oranges.

Nobody is accusing anybody of being an idiot. The one issue here is the strong and committed statement of opinion implying it is fact over preference, and universally applicable.

Jan 24, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #1,632 of 2,146
Jan 24, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #1,634 of 2,146
I'm certain artists are much more interested in things like spectral balance and balance of tracks than ILD. Those things are much more consistent between speakers and headphones.

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #1,635 of 2,146
Decades in "business" gives you knowledge, but you can learn some knowledge by yourself. That's good, because 100 % of people can't work in "business". Only a handful of people can. Other people are needed elsewhere. Driving buses etc. I have watched quite a lot of Youtube videos about mixing and the overall "message" in those videos it to keep ILD at low frequences small. Dr. Luke says "make bass mono" etc. If I am wrong so are THEY! People with serious BIG hits! If that's being wrong who wants to be right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back