To buy or not to buy Grado RS1 ?
Dec 25, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #61 of 98
Dec 25, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #62 of 98

Lol monkey. CeeTee stop being so funny this is a serious 765£ matter.
jecklinsmile.gif

I made up my mind, HF2 it is people. Seems everyone likes them and given the price I cant go wrong. I also need a DAC, didnt even know what that was before coming here. Would a cheap 100£ one be better than an entry-level audiophile sound card like Asus D2X?

I used to pick headphones based on amazon reviews, but everyone seems to think their dog is the smartest there. I never listened to anything better than my SR80, but again I didnt try many headphones, and the ones I did try never went above the  200£ mark. I stopped searching after descovering Grado. The idea of something better at a given price sounds mad now. I even tuned the EQ to sound like SR80 when I listen through loudspeakers.

I done some researach into electrostatic headphones last night. Now I know whats with those super-thin speakers I saw in PC World. Crazy. They say they suffer from low bass response. How did they manage to compensate that in headphones? Il head over Stax thread.

I always wondered about some kind of great old equipment people like me never heard about. The older guys might have a clue. I would love to descover something like that. Like when I descovered Pink Floyd, god what a revelation! (i grew up in a comunist coutry, mind you)

I think il mod my SR80 when I get the HS2. il post pictures of both. RS1 is on hold until Ive tried both them and electrostatics. Credit card saved for now. Thanks everyone 

Dec 25, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #64 of 98

Quote:

I made up my mind, HF2 it is people. Seems everyone likes them and given the price I cant go wrong. I also need a DAC, didnt even know what that was before coming here.

Solid choice. I wasnt enamoured with mine at first so be patient if your initial impressions are the same. They're great phones that need  some burn in before they really start coming to life.  As far as the DAC if I had your budget I'd get the Nuforce Icon HDP. I have my HF2's plugged into an Audio GD Sparrow. Nice DAC / Amp combo. Audi GD has some other stuff too and seems pretty popular here on head fi but like I say if I had your budget I would be looking at the HDP. Hopefully some others will chime in here. I'm not that well versed on the whole DAC / Amp part of this hobby but from what I've discerned the HF2's and Nuforce Icon HDP would make for a very nice combo.

Merry Christmas and congratulations on a solid headphone choive.

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #66 of 98

Quote:
I'd buy a RS-1 from a fellow head-fier, 2nd handed, personally 

I second that. I bought my RS-1's used. I also started with the 80's, had those for 2 years and went on to get the 225's (which I still have). The RS-1's are an amazing jump in performance. They really are something. I have them now running with a Fiio E7 & E9. It is adequate to power them and opens them up but after listening to my friends LD 3 I think I will be selling the E7 & E9 and get tubes instead.

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #68 of 98
Bad news for people who can't wear bowls because of the comfort. Although I have a strong suspicion it might be a great candidate for a "1000" mod (distancers and bagel pads).

Dec 26, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #69 of 98
Bad news for people who can't wear bowls because of the comfort. Although I have a strong suspicion it might be a great candidate for a "1000" mod (distancers and bagel pads).

It's good news in disguise.  Necessity is the mother of invention by changing the cost relationship between playing it safe and going for broke.  Nobody would ever think of altering the beloved RS1 - or, for that matter, the wonderful HF2.  But what if you could bridge the gap between your used RS1 and the $1,700 PS1000 by making changes that amount to the cost of purchasing jumbo pads?  Take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt, since we're working without a net - or aluminum.  Still, you can match the HF extension of the GS1000 by swapping pads.  You can also recover the bass you'll lose by venting the drivers more fully.  Without the hammerhead ring of the GS1000, you may be able to do this without ending up with the huge bass spike of the GS1000.  If not, the next best thing is to jettison the secondary mahogany shell and stick with the first-stage underpants.  Cutting the wood cuts back on the bass spike.  The result is an RS1 you can wear with jumbo pads, which is what the PS1000 was intended to achieve.

I haven't done this.  I sold my RS1s before Grado came out with the PS1000.  I don't need to buy an RS1 to achieve this effect because I have access to mahogany, allowing me to build my own first-stage shells.  It's cheaper for me to buy jumbos than it is to buy an RS1 and jumbos - just to prove a point.  But somebody out there is going to read this and go for broke.  Somebody is going to take the Bilavideo challenge.  Whoever does it first, just know that you owe me a two-liter of cream soda (A&W if you please).  What you'll end up with will not look as nice as a PS1000 - with those beautiful anodized aluminum shells - but it'll give you an RS1 fit for jumbos, which is what the PS1000 is all about.  

Before I got my hands on mahogany, I was doing the next best thing with plastic.  My SR60s with jumbos were sibilance free - and they had slam.  They didn't have quite as much slam as a PS1000, but what do you expect from plastic?  The point is, it got so close I ended up selling my PS1000s.  I love those shiny shells but soundwise, I have no regrets.

Whoever has the guts to give it a try will find out.  Happy days, boys.  Happy days.

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #71 of 98
You know what?  I'll buy it myself.  I don't want anybody adding in their own ingredients.  Mods are great and all, but there are some times when I don't want to hear, "I made it myself."

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #72 of 98
I wouldn'y further vent an expensive Grado, and from what nickchen says venting work a treat on lower grados but kills the resolution on higher models. A distancer helps add an extra layer of lowbass (not to mention a huge sound stage) meaning venting is not a neccesity like it is with bagels straight on a grado. Lining the distancer with felt will tame the treble and small holes in it increase mids dominance to your tastes.

Lining the bagel pads themsleves is an important one too, a layer of thin t-shirt cotton to smooth out the sound, make it tonally realistic and warmer, but if you are working with a model that sound sounds thin after that, then a thicker material would probably solve it.

The MS1000 mod has become so intricate I am pretty sure with some configuration it will work with every Grado.

I do have a suspicion that the woody chamber of the HF2 might be the perfect candidate as it is said to be bassier than other Grados to start with anyway.

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #73 of 98
I see that I'm going to have to prove my point, at some point.  I just don't have the time or the money to do it right now.  Sooner or later, I - or someone like me - will, in fact, take a used RS1 and do unspeakable things to it.  Why?  Because you can only add so much length to a chamber before Frankenstein, himself, is laughing about those bolts.  You don't need a spacer to give more bass to an RS1, but I won't belabor the point until I've labored the point with pictures and commentary.

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #74 of 98
Went over...looked around...couldn't believe what a bunch of crap the thread was (parts I read at least) decided Stax are not for me as it seems the electromagnetic field evidently kills your brain cells or something.

Quote:
Quote:
I want to try Stax. I have no idea where to even start. Looks like I gots some researchin' to do.

Head on over to the Stax thread.  We'll take care of you.

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #75 of 98
LOL ArmAndHammer. Tame that avatar, its gone out for blood again. So Stax not for you.
Some people say it may be a good cheap alternative to RS1. Didnt research much myself. I definitely am for trying new things as long as I dont have to pay too much.

Today Ive vented my SR80 pretty heavily. Now they sound good only without cushions and caps. Poopstickles. I think i will wood mod them in such a way leaving the driver free on both sides, since this is the only way it sounds good. Sound is pretty much the same with a little more depth. I also removed the white mesh so it added little brightness. As soon as I put everything back it all goes muddy and dark.

A bit off topic, sry OP. thats me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back