Time to get some new full sized closed back headphones, but which ones?
Aug 12, 2010 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sparkplug

New Head-Fier
I currently got the Sennheiser HD25 MK1 which I've had for about 5 years now.

However the highs can be too harsh on my ears, sometimes painfully harsh on compressed mp3s. 

So looking for a better pair of closed back headphones with the same durability as the HD25 headphones, also I got a very big head (60cm diameter), and fairly big ears. So I find some full sized headphones very uncomfortable if they clasp my head like a vice and give me headaches.

Also a another important factor would be that it has replaceable parts, well at least a user replaceable lead.

And will be using them unpowered, so lower impedance headphones is prefered.

Closed back as I only use headphones to watch films on late at night or to listen to music.Music is either cds or dj mixes(mostly somewhat compressed mp3, some worse than others). 

I'd be using them either on my computer through it's soundcard or my panasonic tv's headphone socket.

Music I listen to is a various types from:  hardtek,acid techno,electro house,electro pop,electro breaks,nu skool breaks, breakbeats,dnb, jungle, reggae,ska,funk,dub,dubstep,grime,hiphop,screamo,deathcore,death metal,black metal,post hardcore,punk.

And the headphones have to sound great with movies as well, and give that spacious sound as well as great bass depth, clear mids and smooth highs without being ear fatiguing.
With the ruggedness/build quality of the HD25 and at least a user replaceable lead and low impedance.

My budget is a max of £300.

The ones I thought of so far are: 

Beyerdynamic DT100 as they have a tough as nails decent build, and the cable can be user-replaced I think.
16 ohm version of them I'd go for, but how do they sound? and do they fit a very large head without feeling like a clamp? 

Beyerdynamic DT250 (80 ohm version)

Beyerdynamic DT48 ( 25 ohm version), they look pretty classy but wonder how they sound and fit?

AKG K271 MK2 (55 ohm version)

There might be better things than these choices?  

Any help, would be great!

Aug 12, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 13
I'd say the AKG K240 Studio would be a better AKG for you than the K271; the K271 have brighter highs similar to HD25, especially if you unamp them, and it's probably not the best for your needs.  But the K240 IS semi open, which is really too bad because it fits all your other requirements otherwise...

Perhaps look into the Audio Technica A-series offerings as well (A700/A900).

Aug 12, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 13
I can say from experience that I am extremely satisfied with my ATH-A700. They are only $120 USD but sound much more expensive. Let me know if you are interested and would like a more extensive review.

Aug 12, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
I'd say the AKG K240 Studio would be a better AKG for you than the K271; the K271 have brighter highs similar to HD25, especially if you unamp them, and it's probably not the best for your needs.  But the K240 IS semi open, which is really too bad because it fits all your other requirements otherwise...

Perhaps look into the Audio Technica A-series offerings as well (A700/A900).

Does that semi-open type have much bass? and how far away can you hear the sound?  As I don't want my mum in the next room to hear them whilst they are sleeping as shes a very light sleeper.
But if the sound doesn't leak out that much, it might be ok...  

Aug 12, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 13
the open (AD700) has much more noise leak than the closed. (A700) they both have good, accurate, deep bass. It isn't pounding or thumping bass, it is accurate bass.

Aug 12, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 13
Take a look at the Shure SRH840. Only ~40ohms, circumaural, closed back, foldable, removable cord, great sound and only ~$150-200.

Aug 12, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Take a look at the Shure SRH840. Only ~40ohms, circumaural, closed back, foldable, removable cord, great sound and only ~$150-200.

Cheers, I will see if any of my local stores will demo them.

Quote:
the open (AD700) has much more noise leak than the closed. (A700) they both have good, accurate, deep bass. It isn't pounding or thumping bass, it is accurate bass.

Will also look into them too.

Also what are the AKG K272 HD sound like?  And is the cable user-replaceable and do they fit very large sized heads without getting uncomfortable for long periods of time?

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Closed back as I only use headphones to watch films on late at night or to listen to music.Music is either cds or dj mixes(mostly somewhat compressed mp3, some worse than others). 

I'd be using them either on my computer through it's soundcard or my panasonic tv's headphone socket.

My budget is a max of £300.

Beyerdynamic DT250 (80 ohm version)

You see the problem you have here, right?

An acknowledged poor sources in music, and equipment, and you want a headphone costing 300GBP to do...what?

The cliche is audio is only as good as your worst component.

Given that, the DT250 is a forgiving, rather than overtly revealing phone. Like any good phone, it can give you more if it's feed good stuff. But it will meet more of your criteria regards build, fit and durability.

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Does that semi-open type have much bass? and how far away can you hear the sound?  As I don't want my mum in the next room to hear them whilst they are sleeping as shes a very light sleeper.
But if the sound doesn't leak out that much, it might be ok...  

It'll unfortunately leak some sound... it's not the leakiest cans in the world though so a person in the other room will probably not hear your music unless you like to listen really loud or something.

They have plenty of bass IMO.  Some of the old K240 Sextett types (harder to find now, but still excellent) for example had gobbles of it, too much for some.

Quote:
Also what are the AKG K272 HD sound like?  And is the cable user-replaceable and do they fit very large sized heads without getting uncomfortable for long periods of time?

K272 HD will sound exactly like the K271, it's the same headphone slightly modified for home use.  It's comfortable enough even on big heads, but its cable is non replaceable and it does have plenty of highs that you do seem sensitive to, so probably not the best choice for you.

The SRH840/M50 recommendations are great as well, although there's a chance you may not find those comfortable due to their weight.

Aug 13, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #13 of 13
I will third (forth?) the Shure SRH840 recommendation. Those things are designed for giant noggins and are extremely easy to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back