Tidal Lossless Streaming
Apr 5, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #4,201 of 5,203
Exclusive Mode is very unreliable and downright dangerous. It has gone to 100% volume by itself many times when I launched Tidal desktop app using Dragonfly Red dac. Other times it plays mute. My ears have been hissing for weeks and Tidal cannot come up with any kind of answer.

I got another dac with physical volume knob to avoid any further hearing damage and now Exclusive Mode will not hold when I play around on my browser. It keeps reverting back to "SystemControlled" every once in a while.

Very poor software. A quick Google search showed I'm not the only one.

Apr 8, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #4,202 of 5,203
Exclusive Mode is very unreliable and downright dangerous. It has gone to 100% volume by itself many times when I launched Tidal desktop app using Dragonfly Red dac. Other times it plays mute. My ears have been hissing for weeks and Tidal cannot come up with any kind of answer.

I got another dac with physical volume knob to avoid any further hearing damage and now Exclusive Mode will not hold when I play around on my browser. It keeps reverting back to "SystemControlled" every once in a while.

Very poor software. A quick Google search showed I'm not the only one.

My rig is iMac running Windows 7 > iUSB > KEFLS50W. I have always set the Windows Tidal app to my KEFs and MASTER quality.
The PC audio setting for the KEF drivers is Exclusive mode (I believe it bypasses the PC internal audio). The app shows 100% volume and the PC shows 100% volume. I control volume on the KEFs.

No problems.

The only issue I have is using Foobar2000 and Tidal at the same time, and switching between the Apple remote and the KEF remote... the volume control is mixed up and sometimes goes to 0% in error.

Apr 9, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #4,203 of 5,203
I also use exclusive mode (although Tidal screwed up all my options and disabled bypass MQA during one of their never-ending updates) and I prefer it. I want hardware control of volume via my integrated amp. Too much can go wrong on the desktop. I don't trust Windows to do much correctly :wink:

Apr 11, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #4,205 of 5,203
My rig is iMac running Windows 7 > iUSB > KEFLS50W. I have always set the Windows Tidal app to my KEFs and MASTER quality.
The PC audio setting for the KEF drivers is Exclusive mode (I believe it bypasses the PC internal audio). The app shows 100% volume and the PC shows 100% volume. I control volume on the KEFs.

No problems.

The only issue I have is using Foobar2000 and Tidal at the same time, and switching between the Apple remote and the KEF remote... the volume control is mixed up and sometimes goes to 0% in error.

You might want to check that it's actually on Exclusive Mode, for example by testing if you can watch Youtube at the same time or hear other desktop sounds.

May 21, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #4,207 of 5,203
Looks like gapless playing is gone again... when asked i got same copy&paste answer as last time.:

"
Thank you for contacting TIDAL Support.

The gapless feature has been removed in our newest update.
We decided to do this because our data showed that it did not add to our overall customer experience.
"

i wonder what kind of trained monkey is throwing those darts...

May 21, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #4,208 of 5,203
Tidal/roon is not affected one tune straight into the next.

May 21, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #4,209 of 5,203
Tidal/roon is not affected one tune straight into the next.
Your system must sound fantastic. I had a PM-1 with me for a month (and owned the PM-3) and I think the PM-1 is very underappreciated. I hope that you hold onto that headphone, it is quite special and with Oppo out of the game no chance of any new models. Wish I had bought it when I had the chance. Hindsight is 20/20 right?

May 21, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #4,210 of 5,203
Good purchase for sure. Next i'm saving for TT2. Oppo pm1 is not widely understood. It's up there with the best IMHO.

May 22, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #4,211 of 5,203
Good purchase for sure. Next i'm saving for TT2. Oppo pm1 is not widely understood. It's up there with the best IMHO.
That will be a sweet addition. Absolutely the PM-1 should be talked about in the top-shelf conversation. When I listened to it I just kept thinking to myself why is this not more widely appreciated? I was selling the PM-1 on behalf of somebody and because I was back in university and not working much at all I could not purchase it myself or I would have.

May 22, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #4,212 of 5,203
Do you think it scales well with high end gear? They were debating this point vigorously before. From mojo to hugo 2 the differences were clear with pm1 for me. I'm interested in other perspectives on this. Probably the wrong thread for this. lol

May 22, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #4,213 of 5,203
Do you think it scales well with high end gear? They were debating this point vigorously before. From mojo to hugo 2 the differences were clear with pm1 for me. I'm interested in other perspectives on this. Probably the wrong thread for this. lol
I'm not sure to be frank, but within whatever reasonable limits you would expect amplification etc to make a difference I see no reason why the PM-1 should not benefit. Ah, a few OT posts ina thread are fine, that is head-fi, things organically get back on track so I'm not going to feel too guilty. Cheers.

May 22, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #4,214 of 5,203
Thanks Sonic. We have to be careful on the chord threads with regards to being OT......:deadhorse: The best example were the discussions surrounding the sound quality of black TT2 vs silver TT2....! Some members actually believed it to be true.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #4,215 of 5,203
Thanks Sonic. We have to be careful on the chord threads with regards to being OT......:deadhorse: The best example were the discussions surrounding the sound quality of black TT2 vs silver TT2....! Some members actually believed it to be true.
Ha ha, I have seen similar conversations regarding equipment where there are colour variants. Always worth a giggle. Yes those Chord threads are really different beasts sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back