Tidal Lossless Streaming
Dec 13, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #3,706 of 5,203
I dunno.. this smacks of click bait to me.
Article goes into $ for Tidal, but did not mention how much is in play with the Sprint deal. Then, it goes into subscriber count, and fails to explain the conundrum therein. Spotify might have an insane amount of subscribers, but is STILL not profitable. No mention of that...

The valuation of businesses is a joke in general (see Facebook et al), and is certainly suspect in the case of Spotify or Tidal.

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #3,707 of 5,203
I dunno.. this smacks of click bait to me.
Article goes into $ for Tidal, but did not mention how much is in play with the Sprint deal. Then, it goes into subscriber count, and fails to explain the conundrum therein. Spotify might have an insane amount of subscribers, but is STILL not profitable. No mention of that...

The valuation of businesses is a joke in general (see Facebook et al), and is certainly suspect in the case of Spotify or Tidal.
Me thinks that Facebook will purchase Spotify..

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #3,708 of 5,203
Tidal may only have enough cash left to last six months
Music streaming service Tidal is facing both money and user growth woes, according to Norway's Dagens Næringsliv. After reportedly losing roughly NOK$368 million ($44 million dollars) before taxes in 2016, Tidal is now left with just enough cash to last six months. This despite Sprint buying a 33 percent stake in Jay-Z's streaming service in January. The $200 million deal, which included a reported $75 million fund for exclusive content, should've given Tidal "sufficient working capital for the next 12-18 months," said Jay Z's business partner and Roc Nation Sports president Juan Perez (via DN).
Just wondering, if one download as many files as possible for offline listening, would be these files available after Tidal closes?

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #3,709 of 5,203

Quoted for truth.

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #3,710 of 5,203
Just wondering, if one download as many files as possible for offline listening, would be these files available after Tidal closes?
No one - including anyone in TIDAL - can answer that question.

But probably not.

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #3,713 of 5,203
No it requires the app to be online every 30 days. If you put the app in off line mode eventually the files will become unavailable.

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #3,714 of 5,203
No one - including anyone in TIDAL - can answer that question.

But probably not.

Absolutely not. That would a horrendous mistake. All you'd have to do is get a subscription, download literally all the music, and then you'd have spent $20 for a few thousand albums.

TBH I wouldn't be at all surprised if they collapsed. Their business model was goddamn horrendous. When Tidal was a niche market they had growth potential, but getting bought out by Jay-Z and pumping millions into it to make it the "hip-hop streaming nexus" was a catastrophe. Tidal doesn't have the muscle to compete with Spotify and Apple in terms of "social" content, and exclusivity is garbage to begin with, but offering high-res was truly something they had that others didn't.

The issue was that if you take away hifi, Tidal has nothing worth a damn. The radio doesn't let you actually tweak it (no thumbs up/down), there's absolutely zero "discovery" feature, you can't store music on their cloud, it doesn't integrate with anything. They put all of their money into a bunch of crap that doesn't help and now they're paying for it.

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #3,715 of 5,203
Totally agree!

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #3,716 of 5,203
Absolutely not. That would a horrendous mistake. All you'd have to do is get a subscription, download literally all the music, and then you'd have spent $20 for a few thousand albums.

TBH I wouldn't be at all surprised if they collapsed. Their business model was goddamn horrendous. When Tidal was a niche market they had growth potential, but getting bought out by Jay-Z and pumping millions into it to make it the "hip-hop streaming nexus" was a catastrophe. Tidal doesn't have the muscle to compete with Spotify and Apple in terms of "social" content, and exclusivity is garbage to begin with, but offering high-res was truly something they had that others didn't.

The issue was that if you take away hifi, Tidal has nothing worth a damn. The radio doesn't let you actually tweak it (no thumbs up/down), there's absolutely zero "discovery" feature, you can't store music on their cloud, it doesn't integrate with anything. They put all of their money into a bunch of **** that doesn't help and now they're paying for it.

Let me clarify my position.

None of us know the answer, because Tidal is nowhere near actually collapsing, and if it did, who knows what will happen. IF it DID happen it would be without precedent and the artists involved would probably sue Tidal.

As far as the rest of it goes, and just IMO:

I don't want it to integrate with things.
I don't use the radio.
They do have "discovery" if you count the radio, rudimental as it may be, and curated playlists, which I do. I have discovered a LOT of music via Tidal playlists. I find Spotify ones to be worse. But obv YMMV.

The main thing though is the sound quality, which is significantly better. If Apple of Spotify offered proper HQ music I'd reconsider them, but.... I would still miss Tidal playlists.

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #3,717 of 5,203
Tidal may only have enough cash left to last six months
Music streaming service Tidal is facing both money and user growth woes, according to Norway's Dagens Næringsliv. After reportedly losing roughly NOK$368 million ($44 million dollars) before taxes in 2016, Tidal is now left with just enough cash to last six months. This despite Sprint buying a 33 percent stake in Jay-Z's streaming service in January. The $200 million deal, which included a reported $75 million fund for exclusive content, should've given Tidal "sufficient working capital for the next 12-18 months," said Jay Z's business partner and Roc Nation Sports president Juan Perez (via DN).
If Google Music or Youtube Music came out with flac and mqa tomorrow, Tidal we be out of business.

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #3,718 of 5,203
Let me clarify my position.

None of us know the answer, because Tidal is nowhere near actually collapsing, and if it did, who knows what will happen. IF it DID happen it would be without precedent and the artists involved would probably sue Tidal.

As far as the rest of it goes, and just IMO:

I don't want it to integrate with things.
I don't use the radio.
They do have "discovery" if you count the radio, rudimental as it may be, and curated playlists, which I do. I have discovered a LOT of music via Tidal playlists. I find Spotify ones to be worse. But obv YMMV.

The main thing though is the sound quality, which is significantly better. If Apple of Spotify offered proper HQ music I'd reconsider them, but.... I would still miss Tidal playlists.

Quick list:

1. I am 100%, absolutely, inarguably positive if Tidal went down you don't keep your music. See: Mog, Rdio, others.
  2. That's not "discovery" at all. Tidal has zero ability to tailor its suggestions to your listening habits. Best you can hope for is that the radio works well (because you can't tell it you don't like a given song) and that the playlists are adequate (which they definitely aren't for me)
  3. Not getting into the lossless/320 thing...

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #3,719 of 5,203
Quick list:

1. I am 100%, absolutely, inarguably positive if Tidal went down you don't keep your music. See: Mog, Rdio, others.
  2. That's not "discovery" at all. Tidal has zero ability to tailor its suggestions to your listening habits. Best you can hope for is that the radio works well (because you can't tell it you don't like a given song) and that the playlists are adequate (which they definitely aren't for me)
  3. Not getting into the lossless/320 thing...

1. You may believe that, but you don't KNOW that. Those are actually different things. I agree it's wildly unlikely, but neither of us know.
2. Yes, there's no algorithmically generated playlists tailored for you... I don't particularly care. I like the ways Tidal offers for ME to discover music.
3. grand

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #3,720 of 5,203
1. You may believe that, but you don't KNOW that. Those are actually different things. I agree it's wildly unlikely, but neither of us know.
d

We do know this because we didn’t pay to buy, or own, the music. Streaming is like “renting.” Labels would never sign contracts with streaming services that allowed clients to “keep” music indefinitely. As is the case with all other services, the kill switch is when you cease to be a subscriber, either voluntarily or because the service shuts down. End of story, end of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back