Tidal Lossless Streaming

Discussion in 'Music' started by baroninkjet, Sep 4, 2014.
  1. Ekul61
    Thx above. Would It be fair to say.
    A $500 streamer would would have a entry level dac.
    A $500 dac added to a laptop would be a higher level dac. With a better sound.

2. Byronb
    Not really a good idea to use $$ as a way of determining quality. But, as a general rule I would say yes. If you can dedicate all of your budget to one component you will generally have a better product. Shopping and listening is the real key to finding components that make you happy and suits your use case.

swspiers likes this.
  3. Ekul61
    no doubt. bought a dragonfly red today. Streaming Tidal through a laptop. MQA pretty darn good.

4. jegnyc
    Has anyone else had a problem over the last several days with Tidal stopping between tracks? As far as I can determine it happens with the Tidal app on my Windows computer (with the newest version of Windows 10). I have to hit the next track button to continue. Also, the timer gets screwed up, showing a few seconds into the track that had just been played. It has not happened when I play Tidal through my Squeezebox (on the same network but totally independent of my computer). And it doesn't happen all the time, but it's happened on at least three albums this week (and repeatedly between tracks on those albums).

ZappaMan likes this.
  5. ahmadfaizadnan
    Yeah it happens to me too but only on exclusive mode.

6. jegnyc
    I use exclusive mode. I've had it happen on rare occasions in the past, but it's happening a lot this week. I know there was an upgrade several days ago and another one this morning. Maybe the prior upgrade caused it. Since I installed the newest upgrade an hour or two ago it hasn't happened. Fingers crossed.

7. ahmadfaizadnan
    I just installed the newest upgrade a minute ago and it works like a charm now!

8. Jawed
    I have been having this problem with playback just stopping at the end of tracks and it has been intensely annoying. My theory is that it was because I had the desktop app minimised, e.g. while i was reading a web page. So today I've not minimised the desktop app and it seems to have been working.

I've just tested by deliberately minimising the desktop app and it just failed to move on to the next track. So then I maximised the app and it moved from one track to the next with no trouble.

--- EDIT ---

So I've just upgraded the app. And now it plays the next track even when minimised.

Now playing: Austra - The Future

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  9. MacedonianHero Contributor
    Had this issue for many months now. I'm using Audirvana with Tidal and issue is completely solved!

10. gefski
    Have used Audirvana/Tidal since it was first offered and it's glitch-free. Would hate to be without it.

11. doggiemom
    At home, yes. While on the go, I use a phone and portable DAC/amp.

12. teb1013
    I stream from either an iPhone or iPad through a Woo WA-7 DAC/Amp. I use the iOS mobile App and have none of the problems that others seem to have had with other versions.

13. Chikolad
    I noticed that the Android and Android TV apps (yes, there's an Android TV app now) have a "recommended albums" and "recommended artists" feature. In the Android TV app I also saw Netflix-like recommendations ("because you listened to x...").
    Could it be the start of them finally rolling out a recommendation engine?

14. Ekul61
    Is tidal better hard wired i/e router to pc. Compared to wifi?

15. rkw
    If you have a stable, reliable WiFi connection, then it won't matter. Streaming audio is low data rate (even Tidal lossless, e.g. compared to streaming video). WiFi has far higher bandwidth than needed for streaming audio.

There will always be some people who claim they hear a difference. You can easily compare for yourself and make your own decision.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017