Tidal Lossless Streaming
May 21, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #1,006 of 5,210
I totally agree! $20 for Tidal is a fair price to pay for a huge lossless music catalogue. Amarra for Tidal could be something interesting as well...especially since their software have helped Tidal render some of their their lossless files https://youtu.be/MX7yTo1RdiA. If the price will be the same as their normal player (=$99) it will be right on the money as well!

May 21, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #1,007 of 5,210
  I totally agree! $20 for Tidal is a fair price to pay for a huge lossless music catalogue. Amarra for Tidal could be something interesting as well...especially since their software have helped Tidal render some of their their lossless files https://youtu.be/MX7yTo1RdiA. If the price will be the same as their normal player (=$99) it will be right on the money as well!

I'm hoping it's priced more like sQ, hopefully with a discount for current sQ and Amarra 3 owners.

May 21, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #1,008 of 5,210
How is Qobuz compared to Tidal? I try to love Tidal, but can't help feeling more and more disappointed after the JZ acquisition. I know it's only marketing, but they are still very obnoxious people and I'd rather have my money go elsewhere. 

I've been trying both for awhile now, and I personally slightly prefer Qobuz for a few reasons: Better playlists for my tastes. More consistently CD quality (sometimes Tidal tunes on iOS are not Hifi I've noted, although oddly there is better HiFi coverage on Android, Web or desktop - must be an ALAC issue). More audiophile oriented. As an anglophone I also like the French-continental flavor of things in terms of music discovery. Overall vibe is preferable post Jay-Z takeover as I'm not much of a pop or hip hop fan.

But...I'd much rather be paying $20 for Tidal than £20 for Qobuz.

May 21, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #1,009 of 5,210
I am sticking with tidal after reassuring my ocd with an artist file management via playlists. It's not the prettiest, but it will due. This is lossless music folks. If u have decent headphones, u will not be disappointed. And for those complaining about price, $20 seems pretty cheap to have a vast catalogue of music at ur disposal. Netflix yanks $8 from my account monthly, and i don't even budge. Mind u, with Tidal u will get day and date release on most new music unlike how Netflix is hampered by movie studios with the disc release/streaming rights schedule. 

Can you expand on that? I'm curious to read how are organizing your music with tidal.

May 21, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #1,010 of 5,210
Can you expand on that? I'm curious to read how are organizing your music with tidal.

I favorite the tracks i like in order from the most recent album to earliest works (make sure to favorite the songs in the order number assigned on the album. This way u listen to the songs in the order they were assigned to each album). I then add the (favorited) tracks to a playlist under the artist name. If I want to make a genre mix per say, I can simply add the entire artist playlist to a new playlist and label it under the said genre. 

May 22, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #1,011 of 5,210
With Wimp I uses to make playlist with the artist name and put all the albums I liked there and sort them by artist name. This was however very time consuming. When I recently switched to Tidal I started to add the best albums to my favorites (press star on album page) as well as the artist (press star on artist page) at the same time. I then sort the artist favorites by name and album favorites by last added. Works the best for me since I only listen to albums...not only tracks. I can easaly find my latest music as well as artist quickly and at the same time not miss if they have released a new album...or forget about the old ones.

May 22, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #1,013 of 5,210
With Wimp I uses to make playlist with the artist name and put all the albums I liked there and sort them by artist name. This was however very time consuming. When I recently switched to Tidal I started to add the best albums to my favorites (press star on album page) as well as the artist (press star on artist page) at the same time. I then sort the artist favorites by name and album favorites by last added. Works the best for me since I only listen to albums...not only tracks. I can easaly find my latest music as well as artist quickly and at the same time not miss if they have released a new album...or forget about the old ones.

Yea that sounds good too. I don't necessarily just listen to tracks per say. It's just that I don't use the dl album feature because it forces u to dl the entire album. I like to pick and choose the songs i like. Saves space and also saves me from the skip button on my player. I am just very particular about file management.

May 22, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #1,014 of 5,210
Something that bugs me is the mashup of edited albums along the explicit. I want no parts of edited rap music. I ran in to this issue a lot with nas. Several of his albums are only available in the edited version. Hopefully this gets addressed as they add to the catalog.  

May 22, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #1,015 of 5,210

Yea that sounds good too. I don't necessarily just listen to tracks per say. It's just that I don't use the dl album feature because it forces u to dl the entire album. I like to pick and choose the songs i like. Saves space and also saves me from the skip button on my player. I am just very particular about file management.

It works pretty good for me! 
cool.gif
 If I want to have a playlist with just tracks I just mark my favourite tracks (press star on each track) of each album and have a cherry picked track list of my own without too much work involved. It is still possible to make certain playlists from the track list. The only thing I would love to have in Tidal is the possibility to select the tracks you want by ticking the share box and add a playlist of all ticked tracks. This would speed things up. Now you will have to right click on each track to add it to a playlist wich takes more time than necessary in my opinion.
Tip! If you are searching for an artist and cannot find it. Try searching for the album name instead. I have realized that sometimes I cannot find the artist even if everything is spelled right..but could still find it by album name. Tidals search bar (and the tags on artists. Several artists with the same name is very annoying when mixed) leaves a lot more to ask for...but I am still a happy camper! 
biggrin.gif

Please note that I am talking about the Tidal player here...not the chrome player or iOS/Android app. This is actually one more thing that Tidal needs to improve. All players should have the same features...but this is not the case. They are all quite different to each other. It is actually most simple to add favourites on the Chrome player right now....since both artist and album stars are on the first page you´ll see and the tracks can just be ticked on the tracks ans added to a playlist with one click. I prefer selecting music with Chrome player and play the music from the iOS app. 

May 22, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #1,016 of 5,210
Recently, after some reasearch regarding enhanced network speed, I ran into a nice web page that I think could be useful for someone else here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1315790
Specificly check the Network tweaks! The remaining things are a mix of good sound improvements and gaming improvements that could be found everywhere. Avoid the gaming/graphic card tweaks since it will most probably give you bad results on the sound. :rolleyes:
I wanted to use these tweaks to enhance my AirServer connection. It works brilliant! The beauty is that it will speed up Tidal's Chrome player as well. There are plenty of things there that I have'nt tried yet...but so far I have got good results with improved AirStreamer performance and quicker Chrome respons. This might not be for everyone...but if you are a geniune tweaker I suggest you check it out in order to enhance the Tidal Chrome player experiance! :cool:

One more thing! If you experiance drop outs or clicks/pops with Tidal buy yourself a PC/PCIe USB ExpressCard. It will improve the sound and will most probably end your problems as well (and give you less buffer AND latency). If not..try the Black Viper tweaks or use DCP Latency checker to find the source to your problem...or do everything (as I did). This suggestion IS for everyone! :wink:

May 22, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #1,017 of 5,210
As mentioned earlier i too notice that the Tidal app is "soft"and lacking in punch.Listening on the Chrome browser is not much better.
I have found that a far superior sound is achieved by using the free Fluidapp for Mac and creating an SSB for Tidal.Works well too for Vimeo & Youtube.I use Macbook, Meridian Explorer2 and Grado SR220i.

May 22, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #1,018 of 5,210
  As mentioned earlier i too notice that the Tidal app is "soft"and lacking in punch.Listening on the Chrome browser is not much better.
I have found that a far superior sound is achieved by using the free Fluidapp for Mac and creating an SSB for Tidal.Works well too for Vimeo & Youtube.I use Macbook, Meridian Explorer2 and Grado SR220i.

Just tried making a Tidal app using Fluid. First I'm occasionally getting a blocked plug-in notification, and second, going into preferences it seems streaming is limited to High with a message that HiFi playback is only available in Google Chrome.

May 22, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #1,019 of 5,210
I'm sorry...Mac is not my OS. But if you run into something that works both ways...please let me know. I am all ears! :wink:

May 22, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #1,020 of 5,210
Is'nt Fluidapp the same as Chrome/tools/create a shortcut? Am I missing something here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back