Tidal Lossless Streaming
May 25, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #1,036 of 5,209

So that leaves us with Tidal.    Unfortunately, I don't like the direction this service is taking under Jay Z.   When you go to the Spotify home page I get the feeling that the site is about music -- all types of music.  Take a look at the Tidal page.  I get a rap\pop\top 40 vibe.  I get the felling that classical\jazz\classic rock listeners are not welcomed there.   I know their catalog does have a lot of classical and jazz, but will they expand the catalog under Jay Z?  The crazy thing is that you don't really need lossless for the type of music they seem to be pushing lately. 

I know what you're talking about, but I think you just need to get past their front page. Once you get past the whole Jay-Z owning it part, the meat & potatoes of Tidal are still the same as they used to be. I'm going to stick with them for the time being since the sound quality is still the best from a streaming service, and I actually enjoy Tidal's currated playlists. 

May 25, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #1,037 of 5,209
So I've been trying out Roon with Tidal. I like it, but no way I'm going to pay what they're asking for it.

One thing though - I love the way Tidal sounds through it (It's configured to use WASAPI directly to my DAC). To me it's clearly better than Chrome and also the Windows app. Things finally sound like actual FLAC rips. 
So I'm hoping more quality players for Tidal pop up for pc that also have the browsing abilities of the web player.

P.S. Roon sounds really good for local FLAC files too, no less than fb2k. It also automatically resamples files with a sampling rate higher than what my DAC can play and resamples them to the highest setting possible - And it gives you an indication it's doing something. Really cool.

May 25, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #1,038 of 5,209
So I've been trying out Roon with Tidal. I like it, but no way I'm going to pay what they're asking for it.

Totally agree! Just do not forget to cancel the free trail before it runs out. Apperently they will charge you immediately if you forget to end it.

May 25, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #1,039 of 5,209
Totally agree! Just do not forget to cancel the free trail before it runs out. Apperently they will charge you immediately if you forget to end it.

I already emailed them about canceling (Why do you have to use email to do that?!) and they asked me why I wanted to cancel and I explained.
They haven't replied since and my service is still working so I will be very pissed off if I find out my credit card has been charged in 10 days...

May 25, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #1,040 of 5,209
Can you please explain SSB. Is this the same as http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-sideband_modulation? How do you implement it on the computer? Works for Windows as well?
rolleyes.gif

I just discovered i needed to update the tidal app to the latest version 3.2.3.16., my apologies.

May 25, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #1,041 of 5,209
So after the newness of spotify ran its course, i find myself back on tidal. My Shure 846 agree with my decision. Guess I'll just use it until either apple beats or spotify roll out a lossless catalog. Tidal had until then to wow me with updates that have yet to appear. But I am definitely down to pay $20+ monthly for lossless service. It's the least I can do after years of pirating music.

May 25, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #1,042 of 5,209
I already emailed them about canceling (Why do you have to use email to do that?!) and they asked me why I wanted to cancel and I explained.
They haven't replied since and my service is still working so I will be very pissed off if I find out my credit card has been charged in 10 days...
Let us know what happens if you can.

May 25, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #1,043 of 5,209

Strange, they got back to me 3 days later after I sent a cancel email and asked if I'd like to continue my trial for an extra month.  

I was hoping Roon would do more with Tidal than it currently does.  I was hoping it would create some sort of custom playlists that I could then save within Tidal so I could use anywhere.  I was also hoping it had all the same features it provides for your home library but really didn't see too much extra for Tidal.  They said all these features are coming soon to Roon.  I still told them I wanted to cancel and they got back to me the next day to confirm.  

Right now I"m still deciding if I want to pay $20 a month for Tidal, let alone the extra $100+ a year for Roon.  I also figured if I had to choose, I'd take Tidal's lossless library over a new way to use my own library.  On a Mac, Tidal sound better thru Amarra SQ, than Roon.  And Amarra is coming out with an integrate Tidal Amarra app with iphone app remote support next month.

I'm really hoping Tidal updates everything so it does become more like Roon or at least like Spotify.  Showing more similar artists, who they influenced, who influenced them, and so forth.  Tidal has a some good custom playlists but not a lot.  I find I have to go to other sites to make Tidal work best.  Spotify for custom user playlists, Allmusic and Metracritic to find out which new albums are worth listening to.

And as mentioned, if Spotify or Beats comes out with lossless, I'd probably drop Tidal.  Spotify mentioned it was testing lossless but didn't say when they'd ever add it.  Apple was rumored to be adding lossless iTunes downloads, asking all music uploads to be lossless, even up to 24/96.  So there's a possibility they could add to both Beats (or whatever they call it) and iTunes.  For Apple, they can they try to get you to buy larger hard drive iPhones and iPads, along with their so called hifi Beats headphones to take advantage of the improved sound.

May 26, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #1,044 of 5,209

Strange, they got back to me 3 days later after I sent a cancel email and asked if I'd like to continue my trial for an extra month.  

I was hoping Roon would do more with Tidal than it currently does.  I was hoping it would create some sort of custom playlists that I could then save within Tidal so I could use anywhere.  I was also hoping it had all the same features it provides for your home library but really didn't see too much extra for Tidal.  They said all these features are coming soon to Roon.  I still told them I wanted to cancel and they got back to me the next day to confirm.  

Right now I"m still deciding if I want to pay $20 a month for Tidal, let alone the extra $100+ a year for Roon.  I also figured if I had to choose, I'd take Tidal's lossless library over a new way to use my own library.  On a Mac, Tidal sound better thru Amarra SQ, than Roon.  And Amarra is coming out with an integrate Tidal Amarra app with iphone app remote support next month.

I'm really hoping Tidal updates everything so it does become more like Roon or at least like Spotify.  Showing more similar artists, who they influenced, who influenced them, and so forth.  Tidal has a some good custom playlists but not a lot.  I find I have to go to other sites to make Tidal work best.  Spotify for custom user playlists, Allmusic and Metracritic to find out which new albums are worth listening to.

I share your sentiment exactly. Tidal has to make a lot of improvements if they want to survive in this market. For now I decided to keep Tidal for at least another month (my trial ends in 4 days) because I want to support them.

And Roon replied to me during the night that they would cancel my subscription. They didn't offer me an extra month. Maybe because I asked to cancel only a few hours after I started the trial, maybe because I gave them reason to believe there's no chance I will be paying for it, I don't know.

May 26, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #1,045 of 5,209
So after the newness of spotify ran its course, i find myself back on tidal. My Shure 846 agree with my decision. Guess I'll just use it until either apple beats or spotify roll out a lossless catalog. Tidal had until then to wow me with updates that have yet to appear. But I am definitely down to pay $20+ monthly for lossless service. It's the least I can do after years of pirating music.

Well, that pretty much sums up my point of view as well! :wink: If you have made the switch to lossless...there is simply no turning back. There is worse GUI or usabillity on countless good sounding players out there (Jplay mini, HQ Player, Bug Head Emperor to name a few). After all...you get tons of music without the hassle of conversions, finding album art, viruses, malware...and more. For me USD20/month is more than worth it! :cool: I just want Tidal to invite other software developers like Roon to enhance the usabillity and developers like Fidelizer, Jplay, Audio Optimizer and/or Amarra to enhance the sound. They can create stick-in programs that could make this streaming service outstanding. Let Tidal care about the music/player and other developers (that are simply much much better in these areas) care about the enhancements and usabillity. I am dreaming here...but this dream is mine and I really think it should be Tidals dream as well! :rolleyes:

PS. I just made the switch from Fidelizer free to Pro. I will have to wait 24 hrs until I receive the Pro version...but I am really excited. Fidelizer is my first, second and last option in sound improvements. The only enhancer I will always use in my system...despite Jplay6, Amarra or whatever. Period! :cool: I am equally supporting both Tidal AND Fidelizer. DS.

May 26, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #1,046 of 5,209
And Roon replied to me during the night that they would cancel my subscription. They didn't offer me an extra month. Maybe because I asked to cancel only a few hours after I started the trial, maybe because I gave them reason to believe there's no chance I will be paying for it, I don't know.

I am glad that you did'nt have to get mad on the Roon people! :wink: After all...their software is amazing! Not soundwise...but how they show music should be presented in all players! :)

May 27, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #1,047 of 5,209
Tidal currently has an interesting advantage for international customers seeking high-def streaming. This may or not influence its chances of success, but it certainly makes it a better choice for those outside of the usual listening circle. Since it switched its distribution system to Amazon and Akamai CDNs, Tidal functions far better in countries such as Brazil (where I live most of the time) than does Qobuz. I am assuming it is because this provides closer points of access. Although I have 60 meg internet in Brasil, it isn't always robust outside of the country. Where Qobuz often craps out these days with lack of buffering, Tidal is holding up quite well. This has been the case only since it changed its distribution methods. Before, Qobuz and Tidal were both problematic at times.

May 28, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #1,049 of 5,209

The whole Jay-Z thing is a total turn off.  Also the way it is currently being marketed is as well.  But I read good things about it on other sites and they have a free 30 day trial, so why not give it a shot.  

All I cared about was sound quality and selection.  Using Amarra SQ, it's sound quality is pretty much the same as my home selection.  I can keep listening for hours and never once thought I'd rather listen to my own library.  

For selection, I'm into the deep tracks of 80's alternative.  I found some good 120 minutes playlist posted online and manually did searches and came back with about 90% success rate. Also mentioned that I used Soundliz.com to transfer playlists from Spotify. So now I have a 120 minutes playlist that has over 2500 songs in it with no manual work.  They have full catalogues for most of the artists I listen to, so can listen to albums I never got to try. And seems each Tuesday, they get the latest releases in each genre, so I can explore all new music.  

There was also talk about Qobuz, which is not available in the US yet.  But you can preview their library and with a quick check, none of my 80's artists' albums were there.  Haven't really checked Spotify too much, but pretty sure they have almost everything Tidal has and more, minus the sound quality.

So my point is that no matter how Jay-Z wants to market the thing, as long as he doesn't take away the lossless option and keeps the catalogue as deep and expansive as it is, I'm happy.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back