Tidal Lossless Streaming
May 22, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #1,021 of 5,209
As mentioned earlier i too notice that the Tidal app is "soft"and lacking in punch.Listening on the Chrome browser is not much better.
I have found that a far superior sound is achieved by using the free Fluidapp for Mac and creating an SSB for Tidal.Works well too for Vimeo & Youtube.I use Macbook, Meridian Explorer2 and Grado SR220i.

Can you please explain SSB. Is this the same as http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-sideband_modulation? How do you implement it on the computer? Works for Windows as well? :rolleyes:

May 22, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #1,022 of 5,209
Can you please explain SSB. Is this the same as http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-sideband_modulation? How do you implement it on the computer? Works for Windows as well?
rolleyes.gif

Fluidapp creates an SSB (single site browser) which bypasses i believe the audio in the browser or dedicated app.A google search should bring up a similar app for windows.

May 22, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #1,023 of 5,209
  Just tried making a Tidal app using Fluid. First I'm occasionally getting a blocked plug-in notification, and second, going into preferences it seems streaming is limited to High with a message that HiFi playback is only available in Google Chrome.

I also have that message.Just ignore it and compare the audio and see what you think.Cant help with your blocked plug-in notification.
http://fluidapp.com

May 22, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #1,024 of 5,209
Anybody else having trouble signing on to Tidal on their computer, I keep getting "no server" 
angry_face.gif
, working fine from my iPhone App!?!?

May 22, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #1,025 of 5,209
yes but on 3 try i got in.
but i read on  CA tread that tidal is moving there content to new svers so maybe thats why.

Originally Posted by endlesscycles 
Received this morning:

We are not exactly sure when all will be moved, but I have been told that everything should be transfered in 2 months, so if you try again end of June it should work smoothly.
Best Regards,

So it would seem, for those who have had problems with drop outs and pauses, that there may be a problem with the server-side service and that there is a fix in works. I guess that's how to read this?

I recommend that Tidal announce improved service when they're all done. Or rather, I recommend they complete the fix, and then thoroughly test.... and then announce. :)

and i agree with wat the user says  below the message form tidal.

May 23, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #1,026 of 5,209
Oh wow. So i just tried spotify for the first time on my phone and mac. Unbelievable UI. There is even a tab for lyrics (they play along to the song while the artist picture background changes). Incredible. Lyrics people!! Until tidal can match, I will stick with spotify. Lossless should arrive sooner, rather than later to spotify. My library will be ready when it does. Adding a song instantly aligns it to the artist and album accordingly. Don't know how tidal couldn't have this simple feature. The files are so beautifully organized. My ocd is on check. 

May 24, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #1,027 of 5,209
Nobody is denying that Spotify is anything but great, but unless it gets a true lossless playback it's a no-go for me.

May 24, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #1,029 of 5,209
I signed up for the 30 day trial of Tidal and I'm impressed with the sound quality and selection.  It sounds much better with Amarra SQ on a Mac but Amarra doesn't play nice when going thru Chrome.  Luckily if found this link to download their Mac App.  http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/tidal-desktop-app-mac-24012/#post416721

Now the things I don't like about the service is their search is terrible.  You should be able to put both the Artist and Song to find an exact match.  It should also find matches even with misspelling.  It will also sometimes say an album is not available but then you try again and it is.  The service is also lacking in playlists, including user created.  My workaround was to sign into a free Spotify account, drag playlists I like to my own playlists and then use http://soundiiz.com to create those same playlists in Tidal. Usually get about 80-90% success.  

So if Spotify came out with Lossless, I'd switch since it does everything else better than Tidal.  Or if Apple's revamped service, that's suppose to come out next month, has lossless, I'd look into that since it would better integration with the iPhone and Mac.

Didn't think I'd like Streaming services but it allows new music discovery, along with finding some of those long forgotten songs and albums you haven't heard in year, all in CD qualify on Tidal.

May 24, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #1,030 of 5,209
From the commentary here and my own opinion, I see a not so bright future for Tidal. It seems that the only thing going for the service is it's servicing north America with lossless. If Spotify goes lossless and Qobuz finally enters north America, Tidal will hemorrhage it's subscriber base. Without some major surgery, they're done. In my opinion, the only surgery that would stanch the bleeding would be a significant price reduction.

May 24, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #1,031 of 5,209
From the commentary here and my own opinion, I see a not so bright future for Tidal. It seems that the only thing going for the service is it's servicing north America with lossless. If Spotify goes lossless and Qobuz finally enters north America, Tidal will hemorrhage it's subscriber base. Without some major surgery, they're done. In my opinion, the only surgery that would stanch the bleeding would be a significant price reduction.

Or they go under completely and cut their service. Just to find that Spotify will not be going lossless and Qobuz is not coming to North America. 

Now everyone is happy and there will be no more lossless streaming in North America. 

May 24, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #1,032 of 5,209
Or they go under completely and cut their service. Just to find that Spotify will not be going lossless and Qobuz is not coming to North America. 

Now everyone is happy and there will be no more lossless streaming in North America. 

Haha... Bountiful cynicism there. I think there is room for two players in this market. Three is pushing it. I currently subscribe to Tidal and am satisfied with the sound quality, but not so satisfied with their interface and playlists. I can live with this and the annoying attitudes of Jay Z and friends for now.

The good thing Tidal had done is to show the other players that there is a market here for lossless and a good number of people are willing to pay for it. As far as qobuz is concerned, I believe it is when, not if, they are coming to north America. Every article I have read on the subject says it is in the works. I sent their support an email about this and their response was the same. It's in the works, but they would not commit to a start date. I have no idea about Spotify, but their model that has helped them leap frog over Pandora and others, would seem tailor made for the lossless niche.

May 25, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #1,033 of 5,209
If Tidal buy Roonlabs (before anyone else do) and integrate it on their player they could change the game. Eventually everyone will have lossless streaming options. Just a matter of time. The big battle will be the usabillity & GUI. If they let other companies care about further sound improvements and let them implementations them directly into their player they will have a good fortune ahead.

May 25, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #1,035 of 5,209
Haha... Bountiful cynicism there. I think there is room for two players in this market. Three is pushing it. I currently subscribe to Tidal and am satisfied with the sound quality, but not so satisfied with their interface and playlists. I can live with this and the annoying attitudes of Jay Z and friends for now.

The good thing Tidal had done is to show the other players that there is a market here for lossless and a good number of people are willing to pay for it. As far as qobuz is concerned, I believe it is when, not if, they are coming to north America. Every article I have read on the subject says it is in the works. I sent their support an email about this and their response was the same. It's in the works, but they would not commit to a start date. I have no idea about Spotify, but their model that has helped them leap frog over Pandora and others, would seem tailor made for the lossless niche.

Yeah, but I no longer trust in anything Spotify says.  After years of promising to upgrade all their catalog to 320kbps they are still dragging their feet -- I still hear a lot of sub-par entries.  If they start to claim that they offer lossless, will that mean that some of their songs are in lossless...some in 320...and some in the crappy quality they have now?

I hope the people at Apple are smart enough to offer lossless, but Apple is not exactly know as a provider of hi-fi recordings.

So that leaves us with Tidal.    Unfortunately, I don't like the direction this service is taking under Jay Z.   When you go to the Spotify home page I get the feeling that the site is about music -- all types of music.  Take a look at the Tidal page.  I get a rap\pop\top 40 vibe.  I get the felling that classical\jazz\classic rock listeners are not welcomed there.   I know their catalog does have a lot of classical and jazz, but will they expand the catalog under Jay Z?  The crazy thing is that you don't really need lossless for the type of music they seem to be pushing lately. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back