Tidal Lossless Streaming
Feb 24, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #4,579 of 5,203
Stupid question, but those AliExpress offers with 6-12 months of Tidal for just over € 10 are frauds? It seems strange to me that they propose them so freely.
It's probably tidal.cn. With Aliexpress you need to read the fine print.

Mar 4, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #4,582 of 5,203
Square to buy “significant” majority stake in Tidal in $297 Million deal

"Square said it expects to pay a $297 million, in a combination of cash and stock, for the Tidal stake, with existing artist shareholders the remaining stakeholders."

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/square-acquires-tidal-jay-z-streaming-jack-dorsey-1234921678/
Companies continue to invest in Tidal as a platform. By keeping it separate, but leveraging Dorsey's ecosystem of technologies, Tidal has a much bigger opportunity to connect with consumers. They will likely always lag Apple and Amazon, but this could give them a better chance to increase market share.

Also pretty fascinating that Jay-Z increased his ROI 4x on the original purchase.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #4,583 of 5,203

Also my vinyl collection was expensive when I acquired it. Today it's probably worth 5 times what I paid for it over the years. CDs are less likely to be an investment but there are some success stories even with CDs.
I occasionally sell records. In general, I can't recoup their original cost, with very rare exceptions, such as autographed by the musician. Or the very rare exception of them being, um, VERY RARE.

Mar 5, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #4,584 of 5,203
Companies continue to invest in Tidal as a platform. By keeping it separate, but leveraging Dorsey's ecosystem of technologies, Tidal has a much bigger opportunity to connect with consumers. They will likely always lag Apple and Amazon, but this could give them a better chance to increase market share.

Also pretty fascinating that Jay-Z increased his ROI 4x on the original purchase.

Weird how you didn't mention Spotify lol.

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #4,585 of 5,203
Weird how you didn't mention Spotify lol.
It was a subconscious choice. I should have listed them. Before Tidal I listened to Spotify. I doubt Spotify will be able to grow its market share long term when faced with competition from companies with much deeper pockets and connections. I don’t think they have much differentiation to fend off. They’ll probably stay way ahead of Tidal for years.

Mar 5, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #4,586 of 5,203
It was a subconscious choice. I should have listed them. Before Tidal I listened to Spotify. I doubt Spotify will be able to grow its market share long term when faced with competition from companies with much deeper pockets and connections. I don’t think they have much differentiation to fend off. They’ll probably stay way ahead of Tidal for years.
Spotify has been the biggest service for ages. They might not have the bigger pockets, but they don't need it because they have market saturation. They're basically the standard for streaming music.

I'm using Amazon currently but spotify just has the more robust service overall. Which is a bummer, IMO. Tidal could pull away and take the lead if they'd just fix the obvious missing features.

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #4,587 of 5,203
Keep in mind that Tidal's current market share is somewhere around 1% (for example, Deezer and Pandora both have much larger market share than Tidal). However Tidal dwarfs Qobuz, which is truly tiny.

Here's an interesting essay about where Dorsey could go with Tidal: https://www.protocol.com/square-tidal-jack-dorsey-banking

Mar 6, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #4,588 of 5,203
Since getting A&K SR25 about 6 months ago, and using Tidal .apk for offline playback, I get this message periodically with downloaded albmums, when in Off-line mode:
IMG_2398.jpg

Any idea why the Tidal apk does this? It seems like about every month or so. Almost like the apk is trying to re-authenticate that I've got a subscription.. ? or something like that maybe???

The only remedy I've found is to switch back to online mode, and then click into each album one-by-one.

Odd thing is that playlists are not affected by this at all. Any playlist I've ever downloaded is always available in offline mode.... So I've started just putting several albums into a playlist, and downloading that for offline use. Very klunky workaround but its the best i've got for now...
This keeps being a big problem every month that my Tidal subscription renews. Every month ALL of my downloaded Albums show this error, until I navigate into each one individually. Very painful and annoying..

SO this time around I raised a support case with Tidal. They told me to revert to version 2.28 of the .apk

AND then ALL of my previously downloaded content 300Gb worth DISAPPEARED!!!!

ALL ALBUMS AND PLAYLISTS GONE GONE GONE!!!!

TIDAL FAIL TIDAL FAIL!!!!

BAD TIDAL!!!

FAIL TIDAL!!!!

Mar 6, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #4,589 of 5,203
This keeps being a big problem every month that my Tidal subscription renews. Every month ALL of my downloaded Albums show this error, until I navigate into each one individually. Very painful and annoying..

SO this time around I raised a support case with Tidal. They told me to revert to version 2.28 of the .apk

AND then ALL of my previously downloaded content 300Gb worth DISAPPEARED!!!!

ALL ALBUMS AND PLAYLISTS GONE GONE GONE!!!!

TIDAL FAIL TIDAL FAIL!!!!

BAD TIDAL!!!

FAIL TIDAL!!!!
Are you sure the problem is with Tidal .apk and not with the A&K internal processing?
Because I am using Tidal on both iOS and Android on FiiO M11 and have never ever lost any offline stored album.

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #4,590 of 5,203
Spotify has been the biggest service for ages. They might not have the bigger pockets, but they don't need it because they have market saturation. They're basically the standard for streaming music.

I'm using Amazon currently but spotify just has the more robust service overall. Which is a bummer, IMO. Tidal could pull away and take the lead if they'd just fix the obvious missing features.
They're "standard" because they're "free" and based on ads just like youtube . They have never had any success in getting people to actually pay for that.

If they offer a bit perfect Redbook service for 5 euros I'll be likely to pay for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back