Three Stones MiniBox-E+ - Review of a Humble Sleeper (LOTS of PICs)
Mar 29, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #181 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by visia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any news on when its going to be back in stock? Is there any other place to get it other than Head-direct?

As you can see above, a few folks have received their amps. So this can only mean the MB-E+ is back on stock at Head-Direct. I suspect that TTVJ would receive new stocks as well

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #182 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As you can see above, a few folks have received their amps. So this can only mean the MB-E+ is back on stock at Head-Direct. I suspect that TTVJ would receive new stocks as well

Wow it seems like it is a LOT cheaper at TTVJ. Why is that?

Anyone have any comparisons between this and a Pico amp?

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #183 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow it seems like it is a LOT cheaper at TTVJ. Why is that?

Anyone have any comparisons between this and a Pico amp?

TTVJ is still showing the old price.

Compared with Pico? IMO no contest. I have heard from three owners of Pico claiming that the MB-E+ is way better sounding. In fact if you read my other review, the MB-E+ competes with Lisa III Std head on. I was convinced enough to trade off my Lisa III and keep the MB-E+
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #185 of 384
I can't praise the general sound quality of this amp enough, but there are some serious showstoppers as well. I wonder if I'm alone with them, or if other people experience the same:

- Deafening click/pop at turning on. Loud enough I fear that either my eardrum or the phone's drivers are getting shot. Louder with lower impedance phones. The volume dial doesn't matter in that case.
- Insane hiss with low impedance/high sensitivity IEMs (when P-to-S isn't engaged). Even worse than the T4 or FiiO.
- The battery looks weird. It has quite a bulge at one end, while the other end is flat. I've heard of expanding Li-Ion cells, but not sure if that's the case here.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #186 of 384
Hmm, I have never turned it on with phones on or in my ears (always turn it on ahead of time). Until now. Okay, I just turned it on with the G1As on my ears, and it made a slight noise, but I would not call it loud at all. Same when I turn it off.

When I switched to the Westone 3s (much higher sensitivity), the noise was louder, but it didn't hurt my ears. Volume was at 6. Only thing I can say is turn it off and on without the phones on or in your ears. Doubt it is a sign of a malfunction, but I could be wrong.

I hear some background noise with the Westone 3 when the PtoS switch is pushed in (which is not engaged, I believe, because it's the way the bass button works). But it's not hiss nor would I call it insane. It's more like a light ticking sound, and as you note, it disappears when you engage the PtoS (or the music starts). It's not audible during quiet passages (I put on some quiet classical to listen for it).

I didn't open mine, so can't comment on the battery.

Anyone else? EFN? Miguel?

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #188 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- Deafening click/pop at turning on. Loud enough I fear that either my eardrum or the phone's drivers are getting shot. Louder with lower impedance phones. The volume dial doesn't matter in that case.
- Insane hiss with low impedance/high sensitivity IEMs (when P-to-S isn't engaged). Even worse than the T4 or FiiO.
- The battery looks weird. It has quite a bulge at one end, while the other end is flat. I've heard of expanding Li-Ion cells, but not sure if that's the case here.

- Through my ER-4S, yes I do hear strong click/pop sound when turned on. But I am also getting this from all of the 9V-18V amps. More apparent on 18Vs. The Lisa III and an 18V CMOY I use all did the same thing.

- Since my ER-4 was a 100oHm IEM, I didn't get those hissing. But I take it all of your IEMs are 16oHm yes?

- Hey, please take a shot of the battery, I am curious on how they look now. Thanks. Perhaps someone can tell you if this is a "Pregnant Battery" case or not

** And thanks for the RMAA tests. Those are very useful.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #189 of 384
I left the charger on the amp for a stretch of time ( over the past week). I have been running the amp non-stop. Last night I noticed that the charging light was flickering ( when it should have been fully charged and the charger light turned off). Wondering if the charging section of the amp is messed up!!! oh! by the way, I popped in 8065 and boy do they sound good. Thanks for the tip EFN!

When I opened it up for replacing the opamps, the battery on mine seemed alright ( like a pack of gum ) I did not notice any bumps as described by dfkt.

Another question is that the screw heads seemed to be stripped ( that's how it came!!! and I was not too happy about it) . Where could I get those screws? does anyone know if radioshack carry those?

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #190 of 384
Quote:

- Through my ER-4S, yes I do hear strong click/pop sound when turned on. But I am also getting this from all of the 9V-18V amps. More apparent on 18Vs. The Lisa III and an 18V CMOY I use all did the same thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I have never turned it on with phones on or in my ears (always turn it on ahead of time). Until now. Okay, I just turned it on with the G1As on my ears, and it made a slight noise, but I would not call it loud at all. Same when I turn it off.

When I switched to the Westone 3s (much higher sensitivity), the noise was louder, but it didn't hurt my ears. Volume was at 6. Only thing I can say is turn it off and on without the phones on or in your ears.

Hmmm, my 9V Headsix is quite a bit better behaved. It has a noticeable startup click, but not an 'explosion', like the MBE+. I'm actually more worried about my UE11 than about my ears. Unplugging the phones every time I don't use the amp is kind of a hassle, and not so great for the plug/jack either. But yes, anything 50 Ohm and above is harmless.

Quote:

- Since my ER-4 was a 100oHm IEM, I didn't get those hissing. But I take it all of your IEMs are 16oHm yes?

No, only the two I use the most are ultra-sensitive/efficient, the UE11 and the SE530. The PFE, RE0, etc are well behaved. I've been badmouthing ridiculous overblown specs like UE and Shure use all the time... let's hope these companies will see the light and start making phones that actually get along with amps and players.

Quote:

- Hey, please take a shot of the battery, I am curious on how they look now. Thanks. Perhaps someone can tell you if this is a "Pregnant Battery" case or not

I'm actually a bit scared of opening the shabby case again. The screws don't really inspire confidence (same experience as ATH in the post above). The way they're threaded into the case is very iffy looking, not sure how many tighten/loosen cycles they could take. But I will consider taking it apart again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #192 of 384
Had to send my MB-E+ for a warranty claim. Fang sent me a replacement unit very fast ! Burning in as I type this. Here's something I noticed. My previous unit didn't like the AD797 opamps. There was a screeching sound with it when I turned the volume control. The new unit I received seems to work just fine with the AD797 !! This is a really nice opamp for the miniBox-E+. It has a warmish presentation with excellent bass.

Apr 5, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #193 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had to send my MB-E+ for a warranty claim. Fang sent me a replacement unit very fast ! Burning in as I type this. Here's something I noticed. My previous unit didn't like the AD797 opamps. There was a screeching sound with it when I turned the volume control. The new unit I received seems to work just fine with the AD797 !! This is a really nice opamp for the miniBox-E+. It has a warmish presentation with excellent bass.

hi-i just recieved my pushbutton minibox E+ (new from latest batch) and i want to try ad797 however, i see 4 versions of this opamp. ad797anz,arz,brz,and brz-reel7 im wondering which one to get? also,can i mount the ad797 on a brown-dog adapter like the so8 to 8 pin adapter,like the one used for the ad8065ar? for easy opamp rolling between 8065ar/ad797/ and stock opamps.

Apr 5, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #195 of 384
decur, AD797AN is the one you want. Its a DIP so no adapter needed. Just plug and play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back