Three Stones MiniBox-E+ - Review of a Humble Sleeper (LOTS of PICs)
Mar 24, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #166 of 384
Yep, this amp is a keeper that's for sure. I can just imagine what you had to go through, with having to send it back for repair and not being able to listen to
frown.gif

Also, did you ever say where you got that 3 channel CMOY from?
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #167 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, this amp is a keeper that's for sure. I can just imagine what you had to go through, with having to send it back for repair and not being able to listen to
frown.gif

Also, did you ever say where you got that 3 channel CMOY from?
wink.gif

The three channel CMOY was built by my good buddy here locally. I practically have to wrestle it from him. And loving it with each passing hours. It's an 18V powered device as well like the MiniBox-E+ and Lisa III so sonically it packs lotsa beef and juices.
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #168 of 384
Hi, I've read about opamp rolling and it's quite confusing for me since E+ specs say that it requires DIP8 opamps, and the best option for rolling is AD8065AR which is SO8. EFN, have you been using any kind of adapter for these opamps? If yes then what exactly adapter have you checked them with?

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #171 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone compared he iBasso D10 with the E+? Also, would the OPA627 work in the E+, as that is my current favorite op amp in my sound card's amp?

iBasso D10 strength is being a DAC/Amp in one small package. You should PM mrarroyo for comparison because he owned both the MB-E+ and D10.

Yes the OPA627 will work because it is a single opamp. In fact I have a pair of OPA627BP in hand but didn't get a chance to try them out yet because I have to send my MB-E+ back for warranty claim. Hopefully when I get it back I can post some impressions.

Cheers.

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #172 of 384
Take heart EFN. Mine came today, and wow, did I miss it. I immediately hooked up all of my best IEMs (PFEs, W3s, IE8s and a new pair of Yuin G1As I have for review) via my Touch LOD and OMG. I can't get over the SQ it squeezes out of the Phonaks (do you agree, Ricey?). Amazing synergy. Same with all the other phones. If there is a better pure amp (no DAC) value, I would be stunned. Let's hope Three Stones has worked out that darn battery thing this time. Hope yours arrives soon EFN.

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #173 of 384
i had to put my review on hold and send the MB-E+ for a warranty claim. Hope I get a replacement unit soon.

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #175 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iBasso D10 strength is being a DAC/Amp in one small package. You should PM mrarroyo for comparison because he owned both the MB-E+ and D10.

Yes the OPA627 will work because it is a single opamp. In fact I have a pair of OPA627BP in hand but didn't get a chance to try them out yet because I have to send my MB-E+ back for warranty claim. Hopefully when I get it back I can post some impressions.

Cheers.

I will PM mrarroyo, thanks!

Wow, sounds like lots of people are having issues with the E+. Is it as widespread as I am reading?

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #176 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take heart EFN. Mine came today, and wow, did I miss it. I immediately hooked up all of my best IEMs (PFEs, W3s, IE8s and a new pair of Yuin G1As I have for review) via my Touch LOD and OMG. I can't get over the SQ it squeezes out of the Phonaks (do you agree, Ricey?). Amazing synergy. Same with all the other phones. If there is a better pure amp (no DAC) value, I would be stunned. Let's hope Three Stones has worked out that darn battery thing this time. Hope yours arrives soon EFN.

Yep, I love this thing with my PFEs, should have my ES3X next week to try with it too.

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #177 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will PM mrarroyo, thanks!

Wow, sounds like lots of people are having issues with the E+. Is it as widespread as I am reading?

This only applies to the early 3rd Gen batch. The first MB-E+ with push buttons.

We can only hope the current batch Head-Direct received will not have the battery issue anymore.

tstarn06, happy for you buddy. Let's hope you are enjoying them now more than sending them back for warranty claims LOL.

Mar 27, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #178 of 384
Thanks EFN. Can't believe I forgot how great this amp sounded.

Actually, I had the battery charging issue with the original models too (the toggle switch style). The first one lasted a little over a year, the second one (a refurb, I figure) lasted just one charging cycle. I believe Head-Direct let the manufacturer know that this was unacceptable, and these new ones will not suffer the same fate. At least we all hope so, right?

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #179 of 384
Man, the number of users of this amp has sure gone through the roof. Rightfully so since it sounds so bloody good.

I am also lucky in that I have had my unit for quite a while and the battery has held up great, currently mine is out on loan with dw6928 who I hope chimes in w/ his opinion. Hint: It was his favorite of 5 portable amps I sent him.
wink.gif

average_joe, as an amp only the MiniBox-E+ is the better sounding unit. As EFN wrote above the D10 shines as a great Dac/Amp combo.

Mar 28, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #180 of 384
Any news on when its going to be back in stock? Is there any other place to get it other than Head-direct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back