Three Stones MiniBox-E+ - Review of a Humble Sleeper (LOTS of PICs)
Apr 9, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #211 of 384
Thanks Fang for letting us know what's going on. I am going to run my MBE+ battery down and see if it recharges properly. I am still on the initial charge from receiving it (so it is getting some good hours, now at 20+). Keeping fingers crossed that the battery problem is going to get resolved. I don't want to give up on the MBE+ for sure. So thanks for being so responsive.

Apr 9, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #212 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yours are not new battery, and I did not have a chance to test it by myself (directly ship from our China branch). Actually I am thinking of sending new battery to you guys. In addition, poor package is another reason of high defective rate. We will try to do better packing.

Thanks for your reply, Fang. I wish the best for your efforts in bringing the MBE+ to the next level. This amp's sound quality deserves a matching build quality.

UPDATE: After that incident yesterday with the battery giving out after 15 minutes, and the following 5 minute recharge, it now played well over 2 hours again. Weird.

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #213 of 384
Just discharged mine, recharged it, and am now playing it to burn in the pair of PK3s I bought recently. Interesting to see how long it goes. If it hits the 20+ hour mark again, then I guess this one is one of the "good" batch. Which will make me very happy.

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #214 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, please take a shot of the battery, I am curious on how they look now. Thanks. Perhaps someone can tell you if this is a "Pregnant Battery" case or not.

Since the MBE+ is now completely dead and doesn't play without AC at all, I took it apart again. Maybe the photos are of some use to some.

The bulging part of the battery is soft and squishy.

P4090076-640.jpg

P4090077-640.jpg

Apr 9, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #215 of 384
Weird.

Update on my MBE battery situation. It has been playing without the AC for several hours, no shut down, no problems so far. I am going to let it run until it expires again, and see where it stands. Need to torture test it a bit, see if it fails. If not, I hope it's got some legs this time (even longer then the year the first one lasted).

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #217 of 384
dfkt, I would have jumped on Head-Direct the moment I saw that "pregnant" battery. It is a classic problem that may happen to Li-Ions and I have seen similar cases happening to iPod Photo 4G, Rio Karma and some iRivers. In fact the problem was quite notorious with the Rio Karma that some HDD even stopped working altogether due to the pressure applied by the pregnant battery.

Go ahead man, ask Fang to speed up a replacement unit for you because that is definitely NOT normal.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #220 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tom, you got your new one directly from Fang in the USA?

Yes, and he tested it for 24 hours before sending it out. I didn't open mine up, too intimidated, but so far, it's on the third charge (it came fully charged) and is running for about 10 hours without a hiccup. Keeping fingers crossed.

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #222 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dfkt, good luck w/ the new battery. Hope then the amp performs as good as it can. IMO it is a very nice sounding unit.

Thanks Miguel, it indeed sounds very nice - and I wouldn't want to miss out on that sound, now that I heard it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, and he tested it for 24 hours before sending it out. I didn't open mine up, too intimidated, but so far, it's on the third charge (it came fully charged) and is running for about 10 hours without a hiccup. Keeping fingers crossed.

That's good to hear. May it serve you well for years to come.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #223 of 384
i am stunned by how great this little amp sounds! i cant wait to roll opamps as soon as my opamps arrive! i hope this battery issue gets resolved as well!
this amp sounds soooo much better than alot of pricier portables out there!

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #224 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by decur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am stunned by how great this little amp sounds! i cant wait to roll opamps as soon as my opamps arrive! i hope this battery issue gets resolved as well!
this amp sounds soooo much better than alot of pricier portables out there!

Dang! how I missed my MB-E+....I hope Fang can send me a replacement unit ASAP!

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #225 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kclone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Head-Direct send out emails when packages get shipped? I ordered a couple of days ago and have not received a shipping confirmation yet.

Still have not had any notifications or anything yet, is that normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back