Three for Three: Earsonics SM3 Triple Driver Monitor
Feb 12, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #46 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
has anyone confirmed if their stuff is or is not related in some way to westone?

It's not intentionally related in any way to Westone. Now, of course there are design similarities, but that could be said of almost any electronic device.

Soundwise it's a frankly different approach except the UM3x, which come rather close to the usual Earsonics sound.

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #47 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See for yourself....
beerchug.gif
I promise I will take better pictures....

Thanks but I mean the pin size. I would like to know if the JH's cable or any US brand fit the EM3-Pro. It would be a pain to order another one from Earsonics (50 EUR shipping!!!) if the current is broken or I want to recable the phones...

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #48 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks but I mean the pin size. I would like to know if the JH's cable or any US brand fit the EM3-Pro. It would be a pain to order another one from Earsonics (50 EUR shipping!!!) if the current is broken or I want to recable the phones...

It looks like it does, havent tried changing them though, I possibly will....

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #52 of 55
The first test (in French) :

Test écouteurs IEM EarSonics SM3 | Le Journal du Geek

According to them, Earsonics kept the sound signature of the SM2 but with better soundstage and imaging, much tighter and defined low end, faster and clearer treble, better instrument separation.

That seems to be precisely what there was to criticize about the SM2. So if the hype hold true, well done Earsonics.

Apr 3, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #54 of 55
That sounds about right. The SM2 is a bit more 'flabby' in comparison. The SM3 is THE most neutral professional universal monitor I can think of now. Of course, that does take a little away from its dynamics, but it does put out a great sound stage and very succinct instrument separation.

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #55 of 55
Hello guys!

One of the most important things in a multi-driver system is the crossover design. It can significantly influence sound parameters and especially the frequency response and instrument separation. More drivers usually means wider sound stage but not necessarily as it depends on the time-offsetting between the drivers which is controlled by the crossover. Balanced armatures have much lower specific mass per magnetic field that moves them so that makes them more precise and faster but that also limits the frequency coverage by one driver so more drivers means wider response. In theory of course because it also depends on the crossover system (2-way, 3-way or more) and matching.

Like you, I am interested into these SM3s to hear how they perform but unless they find some decent distributors it isn't going to happen and most likely I will go for the UM3Xs. Anyway, there are no major differences between the earphones really because all use same principles, similar drivers and crossover designs so it is up to each manufacturer to devise a way to make them stand out of the crowd - in sonics and/or design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back